renovating permanent cedula - updated info 04.2013

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012
yes. but cedula process is very quick so i suggest that after you pick up your residency card go directly to JCE to do your cedula. you will pay the fine of 700 pesos minimum, judging by your dates. next time renew residency BEFORE it expires (it is possible) and then you will have it ready when cedula expires.

i sat in JCE office listening to the lady in charge explaining cedulacion process to a lawyer of a gringo. she stressed several times he cannot renew his cedula without valid residency (it was expired). no arguing, no exceptions.

I hope I won't need a valid cedula in order to renew my residency permit :)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
hmm... catch 22? :) i do not think they care and since you are already past the medical and just waiting for the card it should not matter :)

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I hope I won't need a valid cedula in order to renew my residency permit :)

I don't recall ever being asked for my cedula when I renewed my residency. You need a valid residency card to get a cedula but I don't think the reverse is true. The cedula is simply an ID card.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I may be being very dense here, which is always possible, but why exactly do you need to renew your cedula?
I took out residency 10 years ago and and was the case in those days had a cedula which lasted a year along with the provisional residency. After the year was up I then went to get my permanent residency. By that time I was married with a new name, so I took my marriage cert and my new residency was issued in my married name. Went then to the cedula office but they wouldnt accept my marriage cert nor new residency as proof of married name, they insisted on my passport - which was still in old name. Hey ho, so I received a new cedula, but still in old name. Since then I have never renewed it and it is well out of date - years and I have never had an issue. I have opened bank accounts with it, claro accounts, used it in all legal situations, contracts and when leaving and entering the country I use my residency. I am not sure of the statistics but most Dominicans I know have out of date cedulas. Any thoughts? Oh and no you don't need up to date cedula to renew residency either.

Matilda

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
if i were you, mat, i would wait for the grace period. once every now and then they allow renewal of all cedulas, no matter how old, at a flat rate. i did that two years ago.

when i spoke to the people in JCE they said a marriage certificate was all that was needed to change marital status but i cannot be bothered. i will never change my name or status on any of my documents. i'm good as it is :)

as far as the cedula goes... yes, most dominicans i know have an expired documents and they are no worse for it. foreigners too. but i would not like to risk finding out that my house title is not really mine because my cedula ain't valid. or my car insurance will not pay up because of that. i just do not trust bureaucrats here.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Think the main difference between us an the Dominicans is that we have to renew, and even when they try to renew they are told by JCE that they are not issuing new cedulas to dominicans, I know that my other has tried twice to renew hers and this was what she was told both times.

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012
My marital status has changed since my last renewal. I got married outside of the DR to a non-Dominican. Would it be recommended to claim I'm still single for the cedula renewal to avoid a hassle? Otherwise will they require a notarized and translated version of my Swiss marriage certificate?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
state you are single. unless any other of your documents say you are married. personally i would not mess with this. all my documents say single and i will keep it that way. why bother with bureaucracy?

if you insist on married then yes, they will require a certificate.

Sisa1

Apr 25, 2013
Is the location of the office still the same as it was let?s say four years ago ?<o:p></o:p>

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
stop. messing. with. the. font.

i do not know when the location of the office has changed, few years ago for sure.

Lothario666

Bronze
Oct 16, 2012
Another thing to remember, if you are listed as married, the minimum income for residency goes up by $250, plus more for each dependent.

"R"

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
come again? 250 dollars? a month? is there a minimum income for residency? i did mine before the change of the law so i am blissfully unaware of the current policies...

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012
come again? 250 dollars? a month? is there a minimum income for residency? i did mine before the change of the law so i am blissfully unaware of the current policies...

You definitely do NOT need to prove any minimum income to renew residency. Maybe this a new rule for applicants of temporary residency, but I highly doubt it. Seems like misinformation.

Has anyone ever been asked to disclose their income to obtain or renew their residency permit?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
all i see is this:
k. Prueba de solvencia econ?mica; en el caso de ser jubilado o pensionado o de ser rentista, constancia de la pensi?n o renta o de dep?sitos bancarios de que dispone para su manutenci?n en la Rep?blica Dominicana;

sabra

Jun 16, 2007
You definitely do NOT need to prove any minimum income to renew residency. Maybe this a new rule for applicants of temporary residency, but I highly doubt it. Seems like misinformation.

Has anyone ever been asked to disclose their income to obtain or renew their residency permit?

Last week, 18th of April, I've been in the Migraci?n Santo Domingo for to start renewing my resideny permit.
First at the information desk after the entrance you get a paper,
code of practice
what all is to do for renewing.
Point 7 on this paper tells: " Prueba de Solvencia econ?mica del solicitante y/o garante."
I was prepared to show my monthly pension (papers had been well prepared, with translation and different
oficial confirmations, because this before a lawyer told to me).
Did not need this. A letter from my dominican bank showing that I am client since 2000 was sufficient. This the lady on counter 10 in the big hall in the migraci?n told, after she sorted all papers I had with me. So I hope this will really work - because first I had to do the medical examen and now I am waiting for the result. After knowing the result (needs approx. 10 working days)
I can continue, means next trip to Santo Domingo.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Yes, I had to have the medical exam at a cost of RD$ 4500 and that was simple and easy and fast as is now all done at Clinica Gomez and the results will be back in 10 working days/ 2 weeks. I bought the RD$ 100 form and completed it and had my fingerprints done and still have two blue index fingers! I arrived at Immigration at 8.30 ish, was away from there by 9.20 am, got to the Clinica at around 9.45 am, all done and back in ZC by around 10.40 am.

Like Sabra, I have to return with papers for the residency renewal in a couple of weeks time but they assured me that a bank reference letter was all that was needed to complete renewal.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It's taken me this long to get round to this - I finally renewed my c?dula today.

There was just one other person before me, so it was swift if not completely painless. Even though I'd been warned by the OP of this very thread, paying the penalty fee for the five months since 'expiry' still p?ssed me off, because it clearly states on the card that it expires on the fecha de nacimiento (birthdate), which is later this year. The new c?dula says it expires on the anniversary of issue.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
yes, i give them that. been to this office twice and both times i was out within maybe 20 minutes.