Renting a house

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I understand that I should see house before renting it, but how should I search for rental propositions?
I've tried only one way to search - looking at real estate sites.

So, how to search? first look at propositions over internet and in newspapers ads, collect adresses and go to see them or take a car and drive, drive, drive and look for signboards "For Rent"/"Para Alquilar" until I find it?
If second, how to select disctricts to look for?

You need to inspect the place three times. once in the daytime. once at night for the noise and once during a rainstorm to see the leaks..

do not bother with the internet.. unless it is LT 7 for Las Terrenas ... they are all gringo prices...

you have to first find the TOWN... (one is restrained.. one did not write the "DUH" that came into one"s head)

Then you find the neighborhood-.-..

This country is the size of Maryland.

lots and lots of options

les1

Feb 1, 2007
I think the costs vary a lot, depending in which town and which area.
I live in Rio San Juan on the north coast, a place I would recommend as an authentic and quiet country seaside dominican town. I rent an unfurnished 1 bed appt for 3500 peso a month (about $90) - and that is expensive because it's in the "posh" Barrio Lucia and is new with ceramic tiles throughout. Before I had a 2 bed house for 2500 in Barrio Buenas Aires. My furniture and cooker and everything I needed cost around 25,000 pesos - that's without an inverter. It's very safe anywhere in this town. For dominicans neighbours are important - 1st your neighbourhood, then the town and after that the country. Neighbours are also your protection - better than high walls.

I don't know sosua, puerto plata and caberetti well at all but I would not be surprised if prices were triple and more. That's because of the high numbers of expats.

Another town you could look at is Cabrera - the next town east of Rio San Juan.

How to find somewhere. I would suggest staying in a hotel and walk (not drive) around getting to know the place. Ask people if they know of anywhere and look for the For Rent signs. Many places for rent are not advertised and that's why you need to talk to people. When you ask the prices you'll get wildly differing prices but you'll quickly get to know the real going rates.

Upiter

Dec 13, 2010
I think the costs vary a lot, depending in which town and which area.
I live in Rio San Juan on the north coast, a place I would recommend as an authentic and quiet country seaside dominican town. I rent an unfurnished 1 bed appt for 3500 peso a month (about $90) - and that is expensive because it's in the "posh" Barrio Lucia and is new with ceramic tiles throughout. Before I had a 2 bed house for 2500 in Barrio Buenas Aires. My furniture and cooker and everything I needed cost around 25,000 pesos - that's without an inverter. It's very safe anywhere in this town. For dominicans neighbours are important - 1st your neighbourhood, then the town and after that the country. Neighbours are also your protection - better than high walls.

It's better than I expected.

And how hard or easy to get internet there in rented appartment or house?

Upiter

Dec 13, 2010
I'm still not sure about what areas to look for relatively cheap house not in bad area in Puerto Plata, Sosua and other north coast towns. Could you please advice me?

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
Upiter have you ever been to the North Coast? have you visited Puerto Plata? It is the largest town on the North Coast and what one person likes another might hate. At US$400 a month you will be able to find a decent apartment or smaller house in a decent area. It all depends how you want to live, what you need etc.

Right now a priority should be getting into a good area for electricity outages! Go to this site and check out the A circuits in Puerto plata and other areas you are considering. A circuits don't have scheduled daily outages. Portal de Circuitos - CDEEE

Any A circuit is likely to be a very decent area as well. It means that most people pay their bills in this area. Hope that helps.

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
And the best way to find a rental is by driving up and down the streets you think you want to live on. Look for signs, talk to neighbors and find the place you want to live in. There is not a lot of advertising in the papers or on the internet for non tourist based accommodations.

Upiter

Dec 13, 2010
I have never been in DR and want to find a good place to live in first two weeks.

Do I need a lawyer to sign rental contract?
How is it going with non-tourist landlords?

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
If you have never been here then how will you know if it is a good place or not? Good is relative. I suggest you come down and stay in a hotel for a couple of week and and explore the north coast. Then find an apartment or house.

No you do not need a lawyer to sign a rental contract.

Non-tourist landlord - well to them you are a tourist! Fundamentally foreigners new here do not get local pricing on things. You are going to need some help.

les1

Feb 1, 2007
Do you want to live in a town with a lot of foreign residents and correspondingly more difficult to get local prices or would you like to become a part of the dominican community? This could guide your choices.

Gemcee

Dec 30, 2009
Do not rent anything before you have inspected the property personally. Its a gamble.

Exactly my thoughts. Many pictures posted up by agents are not actually pictures of the home you may be renting. If you go for a condo, make sure it's a reputable company so you don't end up gathered around a faulty generator with 12 other gringo condo residents scratching their heads at 6am before work while your landlords have partied all night with your condo fees.

Fact is you need to be there to home search and that's that!