Renting a scooter.

U

Uzin

If you are going to rent a scooter for a significant amount of time. Then maybe invest in a portable GPS Tracker. They are pretty cheap and small enough to hide real quick.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Spytec-S...l-Time-GPS-Tracking-Device-for-Cars/109812487

This sounds like a good idea, but assuming it is for when it is stolen, what are you going to do when you know the location, not advisable to go alone to retrieve it. Also in UK I heard the police is reluctant to go to the location - I think they need some kind of court order or something (not sure of detail). Now here in DR, imagine going with this to the police - they rub their hands with excitement that here we have a gringo to rip off or set up for extortion...!

Your best chance here is if the rental guy sticker on the bike prevent thieves to touch it, if he is somebody known in the community with good connections (police or mafia etc.) then thieves know that and stay clear (they are usually local thieves here - everybody knows everybody).

Now if the rental shop take the bike to set you up, you have more problem that you would want and I doubt this locator device helps - but this is very rare and I haven't heard of it happening here (in some other countries I am told).

T

thompstr

I have no idea what an M endorsement is, but if you have any sort of licence to ride a scooter you will be in the minority.
M in Canada means you can drive a motorcycle

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

W

william webster

Many countries make provision for motorcycles....
but it must be on your license as a separate qualification

like eyeglasses.....

R

rogerjac

In Ontario we use letters to designate the class of vehicle you can drive. A,B,C,D,E,F,G and M for motorcycles

W

william webster

In Ontario we use letters to designate the class of vehicle you can drive. A,B,C,D,E,F,G and M for motorcycles

mine was 'F"............for FAST
never given a speeding ticket on an 'F' license

M

melphis

Do they even have a motorcycle endorsement in the DR. In Alberta they go by number. In order to legally ride a motorcycle you have have to have a #6 as well as any other classifications you have. Semi truck drivers would have a 1 and 6.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
I did rent and use a scooter in Cabarete. It allow d me to get off the beaten path and explore areas I wouldn’t hav been able to without it. Saw some beautiful countryside. Went from sosua to Gaspar Hernandez. Mostly stayed around cabarete. It cost 15$ per day and there was no insurance available. The bike was in medium to good condition. Ran out of gas once when the tank indicated 1/2 full. Got the foot push from a motoconcho to the nearest gas station. He was pleased with his 200 peso thank you. Cabarete was boring. But I’m not a beach person. Ate excellent fish tacos at a place called gordito’s. Thanks to you guys I recognized Janet’s market and found what I needed there.