Residence Visa Problem (USA Citizen) - Advice Please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
Okay, so you're a moderator, so I'm guessing you'll block me or something - it's fine. HOWEVER, apparently you need to learn more about this process before giving your helpful advice. In the list of requirements for citizenship through marriage, you'll find - guess what? - "copia a color del permiso de Residencia Provisional (vigente).

Now, you too can look up the meaning of "stupid" - then take a mirror and look directly into it.

Mama always said....

[video=youtube;cJe6-afGz0Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJe6-afGz0Q[/video]

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Pen Pal"????????????????????
I think I just "PI$$ED" my pants!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
He must be a Proctologist!!!!
Only is this case, He's the "A$$HOLE"!!!!!!
I can only pray he marries his "Latin Lovely" website Queen!
Cris Colon
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Residence_Seeker

May 29, 2013
Correction to AlterEgo's Posting

A person married to a Dominican does NOT need to go through residency first, they can to DIRECTLY FOR CITIZENSHIP, it takes about a year and costs less than residency.

Until recently it only applied to women who married Dominican men. Now it applies to men who married Dominican women too.

Hello Mr. Alter Ego!

Although most people feel that applying for citizenship through marriage was something that was only available to foreign women who married Dominican men, the ministry of interior has been processing the applications of foreign men who married Dominican women for years. I learned of this process back in 2007 (from the same law firm that drafted that letter to you), but I was still in medical school so I did not prioritize coming over and starting the process.

When I read the letter that the attorney wrote you, it was very clear that - although you were trying to be helpful - there was a bit of confusion between my situation and the situation you experienced.

Situation 1
That letter was directed to a foreign woman who married a Dominican man; therefore the letter is correct. The foreign woman would be permitted to apply for Dominican nationality in six months of being married without the burden of applying for and holding a provisional residence card before doing so.

Situation 2
I am a foreign man who will marry a Dominican female. While I will be eligible to apply for citizenship after six months of marriage, I must also hold a provisional residence card for six months prior to applying for naturalization.

This is the only significant difference between a foreign man applying for naturalization and a foreign female applying for naturalization.

Again, these rules have been in place for a number of years but many people did not know that men were eligible to apply for naturalization if they married Dominican females. If you are interested, I can send you the link to this information online. There is a sheet that lists the requirements for both men and women you can see the difference for yourself (and accurately share that information with concerned people in the future.

I wrote a version of this message a half hour ago, but perhaps my messages are being censored or deleted. I am just trying to be helpful here and I thoroughly appreciate your attempt at being helpful to me as well.

Residence_Seeker

May 29, 2013

Sincerely,

Licelotte Minaya, Esq.
Attorney
Guzm?n Ariza, Attorneys-at-Law
A State Capital Group Law Firm
35 Ernesto de la Maza St.
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
Tel.: (809) 255-0980 | Fax.: (809) 255-0940
LMinaya@drlawyer.com | www.drlawyer.com"

Hello Again, AlterEgo,

I just got off the phone with Attorney Licelotte Minaya (the lawyer you mentioned in your posting) and she was amazingly friendly. She confirmed that the process you presented is only applicable for foreign women who marry Dominican men.

She said, foreign women who marry Dominican men are provided with citizenship ONLY on the basis of the marriage; however that foreign men are provided with citizenship on the basis of BOTH the marriage AND a period of residence.

Thanks for the information. She was very helpful in answering my other questions, too!

Best,

avi8or57

Nov 25, 2010
True

"however that foreign men are provided with citizenship on the basis of BOTH the marriage AND a period of residence."

She is correct! When I received my Provisional Residency back in September 2012, I was told by my attorney that I would be able to apply for Citizenship in March 2013 due to the fact that I was married to a Dominican National since April 2005. Meaning you have to wait at least six months with your Provisional Residency Card before you can apply for the Citizenship. This would eliminate the 4 renewals down the pike and the extra expenses for the Permanent Residency.

Last edited:

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
I would tend to agree.

Dunno. No high school, no college, no business. We do own a house, but they didn't ask about that. Didn't even ask to see the marriage certificate. I guess we were lucky. We did travel outside the DR a couple of times before she applied. As far as the kids go, it was there first trip anywhere.

They did ask her why she didn't apply for a residency visa and she replied she had no plans to live in the USA-- which is true. Sorry for those who weren't so fortunate. But, it can happen.

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
I must be missing something, why would anyone want to become a naturalized Dominican citizen, especially if you are from the USA. And I am not trying to stirs things up. I have lived here six years and the thought never crossed my mind. Thanks

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I must be missing something, why would anyone want to become a naturalized Dominican citizen, especially if you are from the USA. And I am not trying to stirs things up. I have lived here six years and the thought never crossed my mind. Thanks

- The residency renewal process has become more expensive and more complex.
- One poster has reported that being a DR citizen saved him a lot of hardship/jail time after he shot and killed someone in self defence.
- You can vote in DR elections (Admittedly grasping at straws on that one)

Feb 7, 2007
Residence seeker, get down to the DR, set up a business (incorporate) and request temporary residence visa based on the fact that you want to further your entrepreneurial activities in the DR, and you will be employed by your own company.

Status
Not open for further replies.