Residencia Experieces

Status
Not open for further replies.
iluvdr said:
Let me start by the end.
WHY?
Well, I could only stay in the DR for 2 weeks and I needed to get my Dominican Citizenship yesterday. Try getting financing from a Dominican Bank on a real estate developement project with out being dominican? So time is money...in this case a lot of money!!!

My very well connected lawyer helped accelerate the process.
Also, I doubt that any of this was illegal. The law firm I do business with advertises widely on DR1 and is very reputable. They just had a good inside,
Why is that so hard to beleive?

Day one - After giving all the documents to the lawyer, I went to the immigration office where I got a blood and urine test (no appointement needed).

Day two- Went to the office where they deliver the cedulas( don't know whatit is call anymore) - did not stay in line for hours, got priority treatment, went straight in, got my picture taken, got finger printed and less then 1 hour later had my cedula in hand.

Day three- Went back to the immigration office with my lawyer waited for about half an hour. They called out my name and gave me my permanent residency card.

3 days later I applied for a license to bear arms, when I went to the police office they told me that my cedula was not registered. I panic, but they told me there, that it happens frequently that when you just get your cedula that it does not appear on the police computers, so they told me I needed an authentification certificate of my cedula.
This time I went alone and did not advise my attorney ( so no connections what so ever). 5 days later my authentification certificate was ready and the same day I got my license issued.
6 month later I checked at my bank and they confirmed that my cedula was registered on there system. Everything seems more then normal. I just got things fast tracked.
I have applied for Dominican citizenship and if all goes well I should have it in less then 6 weeks. No back door! No special contacts! simply accelerated process...

I believe you. That's the way that things work overthere.

iluvdr

Aug 24, 2004
You bet!

VirginiaGomes said:
I believe you. That's the way that things work overthere.

Thanks Virginia for saying out loud what most people think quietly!

stiggybaby

Jan 20, 2006
macocael said:
...My only real mistake was beginning the process in NYC and going through the consulate there. Big mistake.

Hi,

Can you please explain this? I want to begin the process of getting my cedula, and was about to call the consulate in Chicago today, but read this post first.

I want to get my cedula before I move, but I want to sell my house before school begins here (as many US home buyers look to get moved in before school), so I NEED my cedula around the end of July if possible, and end of August at the latest.

Cost is always a factor too, and I would like to obtain the cedula without paying $1000 USD lawer fees if possible. I have many friends in the DR who can help me too.

As I read posts, I have to go to the DR even if I hire a lawer, so I'm thinking now that if I have to go to the DR anyway, is it possible to "do-it-yourself" in the same time frame of 3-4 months since I am willing to spend a few days in DR standing in lines?

Also, does anybody have any experiences of what to do, or what not to do in order to make the process and quick and economical as possible?

Thanks in advance

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
Stiggy it has been a while since I went through the process so my memory is fuzzy, but I remmeber quite clearly that the consulate office in NY is chaotic and incompetent,a nd i believe I ended up paying some fee there -- perhaps for translation and certification of certain documents? -- whcih turned out to be unnecessary. If i were you I would get in touch with the Migration Office here in St Domingo, get a copy of the paperwork they require and do it all down here. you cannot, so far as I know, apply for residency abroad. All that needs to be done here on the island. You have to have medical exams, a letter of good conduct from the police here as well as from the police in Chicago, and some paperwork certified here.

Yes, it is possible to do it yourself in the framework you suggest. I did it. But if you dont speak fluent Spanish and have a good understanding of how things work down here, you may end up wishing you had paid the lawyer to handle it all. Friends can help of course -- particularly if they are willing to accompany you, but then they will spend long hours waiting with you, andyou will have to compensate them, so why not pay a lawyer? You dont have to pay $1000 US dollars to get your temp. residency (which is the first step). And once you hvae the temp, getting the permanent is not so difficult.

If you decide to fight the bureaucracy yourself, then make very good friends with the man or woman who works at teh desk just inside the Migration office. when you enter there is a long reception desk, but go past that to the waiting room ON YOUR RIGHT. There you will see a little desk in front of an office. Head there and make nice. The dispatch with which they process your requests and help you through the steps will depend very much on how well you treat them.

Audra

Bronze
Mar 19, 2006
Hi kate,

KateP said:
That's exactly what I paid the first time, 3 years ago so I'd say it's pretty reasonable if it includes everything. After that I did the whole thing myself for the permanent residency and although I did have to spend quite a bit of time waiting in "Migracion", it was worth it. I would say, if you can afford it, don't have a whole lot of extra time on your hands to get all the necessary documents, don't know where half the places you have to go to are, etc. etc. etc. then do it with the lawyer.

My 2 cents...

Just wondering if you don't have a lawyer and you apply on your own, what is the cost for the residency papers? What is the minimum and Maximum time you will wait?

Thanks for your help
Audra

stiggybaby

Jan 20, 2006
AnnaC said:
It's all in the legal forum. Check it out

No, unfortunately it's NOT all in the legal forum. For example, I'm told by the lawers that I don't need a residency visa, and that I can go to the DR, and use the tourist card. Then the lawers state that I don't even need the tourist card because the government collects them now at the airport (at least they did mine and everybody elses the day I arrived at the capital).

Then there are references to doing things abroad, but nothing mentioned in detail... just a vague reference.

The lawers also state that I do not need financial solvency (such as a bank account), because they do a letter that is accepted in it's place.

There are many things that are left a bit unclear.

Downloadable form(s) / application(s) would clear everything up. I completely understood the US K-1 fiance visa application that I downloaded, what I needed, and where to mail it. Unfortunately something like getting a cedula should be a do-it-yourself task for do-it-yourselfERS like me, but with a 4-6 month wait time, and unclear requirements, I'm intimidated into feeling that I may need a lawer.

...and emailing the embasy provides:
----- Original Message -----
To: <stiggybaby>
Sent: Tuesday, March 28, 2006 8:04 PM
Subject: failure notice

| Hi. This is the qmail-send program at yahoo.com.
| I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
| This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.
|
| embassy@us.serex.gov.do
| Sorry, I wasn't able to establish an SMTP connection. (#4.4.1)
| I'm not going to try again; this message has been in the queue too long.
|
| consular@us.serex.gov.do
| Sorry, I wasn't able to establish an SMTP connection. (#4.4.1)
| I'm not going to try again; this message has been in the queue too long.
|

Last edited:

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
audrav said:
Just wondering if you don't have a lawyer and you apply on your own, what is the cost for the residency papers? What is the minimum and Maximum time you will wait?

Thanks for your help
Audra

The time from the moment you deposit your documents to the moment you get your residency is 3 months unless you have an inside contact that can get it before. If your documentation is complete then it shouldn't take more than that. As for cost, if I'm not mistaken, I ended up paying around RD$8000 for all the legalization of documents, taxes and whatnot. But by then I knew what I needed and had lawyer friends to help me along...

Audra

Bronze
Mar 19, 2006
HOWMAR said:
Sunny-
First too get this straight, you probably are applying for a provisional residencia. You must have the provisional residencia for 1 year before applying for a permanent residencia.
After that you must have a permanent residencia for 6 months before you can apply for citizenship.

As an added note, a woman who marries a Dominican citizen can apply for expadited citizenship. Not true for a male marrying a Dominican.

Is it true that if you are applying for a residency that you have to be working in the DR for 3 months from the date you file your papers at the same job? I know someone who is applying and has worked there for 2 months, but says they have to work an additional 3 months because he may be changing jobs.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
audrav said:
Is it true that if you are applying for a residency that you have to be working in the DR for 3 months from the date you file your papers at the same job? I know someone who is applying and has worked there for 2 months, but says they have to work an additional 3 months because he may be changing jobs.
I wouldn't see why, as many who apply for and receive Residencia don't work at all.

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
residencia

HOWMAR said:
I wouldn't see why, as many who apply for and receive Residencia don't work at all.
I have not worked a single day in the DR and have a residentia as I am a expat retired

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
audrav said:

Not true. Have never heard that misinformation before.

dreivitt

Mar 7, 2006
Is Residency Required?

I believe I read somewhere that you have to have received your cedula to get auto insurance that is valid. Is this true and what do you do in the meantime besides pray that you don't have an accident?

Also, I was told by a friend that you need to carry "Coachman of the House" (or something like that) coverage in order to bypass going to the police station in the event of an accident. He was able to go directly to the "hotel" run by the State Police in lieu of going to jail while they sorted out the accident.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Thanks.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Dreivitt,
Welcome to DR1. I went through your prior posts and see that you are planning to come here to live.

A foreigner may drive on their foreign license and be covered by insurance till their tourist card expires. After that their foreign license is invalid as is their insurance. To drive in the DR on a permanent basis you must have a DR drivers license with is only available if you have a ced?la. As stated the insurance companies will be more then happy to sell insurance to you but if you don't have that DR drivers license they refuse to cover you if you are involved in an accident as you are driving illegally. DR has no "International Drivers License" and doesn't recognize such from any other country.

Can't answer your question about "Coachman of the House", sorry.

Rick

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Since a tourist card

is now only good for 15 days, if what Rick is saying is true many people who take extended vacations or have a second residence in the DR, but only stay a few weeks at a time, would be in a state of limbo because (if I understand correctly) they wouldn't qualify for residencia. There must be another option. Is it possible to get an extended tourist visa? I know the fines for overstaying are not expensive, but if you want to drive and be insured, it would seem to be absolutely necessary.

stiggybaby

Jan 20, 2006
Rick,

Can you please explain "DR has no "International Drivers License""? My International Drivers License lists the Dominican Republic in it, so which is correct? What department of DR gov would be able to give an accurate answer?

Status
Not open for further replies.