Residency Renewal Delays?

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Police papers are only good for one month. Medical I do not know.

Regards,

PJT

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
"So, the Government doesn't have tools to check you in their own country?"

????????? Expand this question so the readers may be able to comprehend its framework.

Regards,

PJT

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
"So, the Government doesn't have tools to check you in their own country?"

????????? Expand this question so the readers may be able to comprehend its framework.

Regards,

PJT

I understand the question and the lack of on line data available to the DR government. A police background check is required for residency renewal. The person in need of renewing residency has to get this background check for themselves. The government agency doing the renewals has no access to police records, as in they are not linked by any computer systems to the police. I doubt such computerized data bases will be available soon.

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
Has anyone who renewed their Permanent residency recently had any experience with the Solvency requirement as one person on this site that renewed recently they were not required this to complete their renewal ?

yopote

Jan 22, 2012
this tread is is old

what happened to the new residency renewal changes :
Another recent thread reported that Imigracion is stating that cards for renewed residency will be available 10 working days after the medical test has been taken. This is also what I was told when I went to SD for my medical on 4 December, but I am still waiting!

Repeated requests to my lawyer about progress have merely got the response that the Immigration Office is "a bit slow".

I should be very grateful to receive any information from other recent applicants for renewal about their experience of the time taken between the medical test and the issue of the new card.

Just for clarification, I asking about renewal of permanent residency which was first granted some years ago, not about changing from temporary to permanent residency.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Has anyone who renewed their Permanent residency recently had any experience with the Solvency requirement as one person on this site that renewed recently they were not required this to complete their renewal ?

The handout information sheet for permanent residence requirements from migracion states under article 7. "Prueba de Solvencia economica del solicitante. " It means the solicitor has to have proof of economic solvency.

Regards,

PJT

mambodog

Feb 29, 2008
Thank you to those who responded to my initial post. When I showed the replies from Robert and tflea to my lawyer he discovered within a few hours that my residency card and cedula were now ready! I picked them up in Santa Domingo with no trouble. It seems clear that two weeks (ten working days) between medical test and collection is the norm, even though mine took nearly three months.

The total cost was higher than I had originally been quoted but I was told that this was because the renewal this time was for four years rather than two. In Santo Domingo I paid 9,800 pesos at Migracion for the residency card and 8,200 at the Junta Central Electoral for the cedula.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
For those unclear on the process of renewing your temporary the year after.

My situation was i received first time temp last March (before new laws) sadly the DR likes to screw all and doesnt understand grandfather clauses for those in under the wire by 5 months before a new law changes. This said yes i need to renew it every year for 4 years before applying for permanent.

Anyway what was required;

Had same lawyer look after everything as she had all my prvious docs ($600usd all-in).

She had to draw up all docs and submit the affadavit proving economic solvency. (in my case it was a out of country work contract).
Provide previous res card, cedula, passport and current address.

Go to immigration with the lawyer. I took business calls for the 3 hours that she ran around.

New fotos, finger prints and I had my new temp card.

From here i go to get the cedula which is simple.

NO MEDICALS , urine or blood tests this time around!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Expat13. Just to be clear. The terminology is that you start with provisional residency and then the next time you have permanent residency. Do you mean renewing permanent residency by the process you described?

(Understood that anything that has to be renewed ever 2 or 4 years really is not permanent, but that is what it is called).

For the other question, it is my understanding the residency renewals are now for 4 years. There used to be an option for 10 years if you were here over 5 years, but I don't think that option exists any more.

Last edited:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
For the other question, it is my understanding the residency renewals are now for 4 years. There used to be an option for 10 years if you were here over 5 years, but I don't think that option exists any more.

i think it may. when miesposo was talking to the immigration boss in santiago she said there will be longer renewals once you have been a permanent resident for a certain time. 10 years? 15? something along those lines. granted, this law could change tomorrow for all i know...

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
No i did not see anything regarding solvency either on the questioner of typical questions regarding residency, and one person who renewed said they did not have it mentioned , who renewed recently . i wonder if anyone here has renewed lately that has been requested to prove solvency. I think that also if you are doing a retirement residency its still 2 years . Yes ,no ? however i see from an above recent post that this person was required to have solvency proof ..... Wonder how this works , one does the other does not ..... Lol

Last edited:

Morkel

May 22, 2013
I think its depends on your state law so you call you solicitor for getting more help because they better know how to deal with the situation and also give you a better advice that what to do and how to do.

sabra

Jun 16, 2007
No i did not see anything regarding solvency either on the questioner of typical questions regarding residency, and one person who renewed said they did not have it mentioned , who renewed recently . i wonder if anyone here has renewed lately that has been requested to prove solvency. I think that also if you are doing a retirement residency its still 2 years . Yes ,no ? however i see from an above recent post that this person was required to have solvency proof ..... Wonder how this works , one does the other does not ..... Lol

I renewed residency and c?dula in April/May. 18th April I did medical examen, after this waited 10 working days, called in migraci?n to ask for the result. 8th May I had been again in the migraci?n to get residency , and, same day, in the
JCE p. Extranjeros , got the new c?dula. Both now for 4 years.:bunny:
Because of solvency: I was prepared to show my title of the house, the confirmation from Germany for my pension. Did not need both. Just a letter from our dominican bank here, confirming that I am client since 2000 was needed.
Although I am retired, I did the normal renovation at least.