Residency renewal streamlined

W

william webster

some people can't see the forest for the trees...

Try a doctor/dentist in another country... fast here - slow there

I would worry more about my health than the length of the line or time at Migracion
But we all priorities....

I try to simplify mine

RD ain't all that bad.... if - IF - you know your way around
Neophytes - beware

B

Big

I am a person who has moved here, got my residency, opened a business which is properly registered and pay several hundred thousand pesos in tax each month. I get nothing but respect from the government as well as great service from immigration. I've never once been told to stand in line for several hours for the pleasure of entering the country (as I frequently have been when entering the U.S.). Personally I don't think that being given an appointment time and told to come to a specific place to get your visa is an example of bad service.

A lot of people on DR1 spend hours explaining how it is not necessary to pay taxes, it's not necessary to go through the legal residency process, don't worry about charging and paying ITBIS or Propinas Legal. These are the ones who are horrified that the government is taking measures to get things organised and putting in more robust procedures.

Well I do appreciate your high level of ethicality, there are many of us that play by the rules. It's not that difficult. The people that are posting their frustrations are people that are trying to be compliant. One would think that the process would not be so painful seeing how tourism and import and X-port to the U.S is the bread and butter here. Doing business here is a different animal, when I show up to examine product at 830 the customer is there on time, always because they know what the outcome would be if they were not. Dealing with bureaucracy here is taxing to say the least. Further, a propina for expedited service is not unethical as one still must pay the fee(s).As for standing in line to enter the U.S,. It might be a little different, people from all over the globe are trying to enter the U.S and not just for a little sunshine.

J

jimmythegreek

https://dominicantoday.com/dr/economy/2019/05/06/no-paperwork-no-cash-to-renew-residence/

Hmmmm

Santo Domingo.- No more paperwork to renew temporary and permanent residence as of May 8, when it will be processed exclusively online through the Immigration Directorate website, the agency said on Monday.

“The payment will be made in the same way,” Immigration said in a statement.

“The new process will prevent users from going to the institution to deposit the documentation when requesting the renewal of their immigration status,” it said.

Applicants must access the Immigration website, select the service, fill out the online forms and scan the documents, passport, and expired or about to expire ID card. “After receiving the documents online, they will be verified and then the system will issue the user a payment notice, which must be done with a credit or debit card.”

Immigration said that once the corresponding payment has been made, the user must click on the button to complete the process, so that it’s registered in the DGM and the appointment is generated, according to the statement.

“After completing the process and making the payment to obtain the card, the user will proceed to deposit at the DGM’s headquarters, with prior notification, the payment receipt or voucher that will be provided by the system with the date and time of the appointment.”

31w492.jpg
[/url]via Imgflip Meme Generator[/IMG]

P

PCMike

I am here now. Stood outside at 740am. Doors opened at 8. I was #21. By 830 I was reviewed, payment made and off to the clinic for xrays and pee. I ti is now 917am and just about to finish. BTW...my Spanish is poor and all did thier best to communicate. A vast improvement over the past renewal. All seemed in a great mood as well, with smiles when you are greeted.

C

cavok

I am here now. Stood outside at 740am. Doors opened at 8. I was #21. By 830 I was reviewed, payment made and off to the clinic for xrays and pee. I ti is now 917am and just about to finish. BTW...my Spanish is poor and all did thier best to communicate. A vast improvement over the past renewal. All seemed in a great mood as well, with smiles when you are greeted.

Were you rquired to go to SD for the medical, or was that your location of choice?

Do you have to make another appointment to get your residency card and cedula, or will you be returning today to get those?

T

TropicalPaul

One would think that the process would not be so painful seeing how tourism and import and X-port to the U.S is the bread and butter here.

Tourism isn't difficult at all, tourists enter without any hassle at all for up to 4 weeks which covers the majority of trips. People complaining on here are applying to stay longer-term, so they are clearly not tourists. And renewing residency honestly is not a complex process, but it may involve a trip to somewhere outside the town you live and an appointment that is a time that isn't a time you choose. But it's a relatively painless and quick process, everyone confirms this.

I would also add in that if you have residency for investment - which you can only get if you are bringing business or money into the country - they will see you for a renewal at a time that you choose and in a very nice air-conditioned office with great service.

B

Big

Well thank you for the info sir. I did not know the bureaucracy here was refined into such a pleasant efficient process. We clearly operate in different social and business circles. Cheers

W

william webster

It's true Mr Big....

Expedited gets special treatment.
Your $25-35,000 Sosua special may not qualify.... add one '0' and you do

B

Big

It's true Mr Big....

Expedited gets special treatment.
Your $25-35,000 Sosua special may not qualify.... add one '0' and you do

25- 35,000 not sure what that means. I know how the system works, that is why I obtained an abogado and requested and paid for expedited VIP service. As for the people that like to stay here longer than 30 days, property owners, and others that are trying to do it in a lawful manner, to suggest that it is like an afternoon at the spa is a fairy tale. If you pay a lawyer well then maybe. I do business here so of course I have inside information, but for a Northerner trying to stay here for a few months I suggest paying the exit fee unless you own property.

W

william webster

I couldn't agree more..

The $25/30 refers to another thread....it was you - I hope

The issues of ownership,- houses/cars/etc.. call for legality
It may not be too Kosher to overstay... could create problems
As I see it... one day... maybe... chronic overstayers may be asked to explain themselves

J

jaxter

How late can a person be renewing temp residency? Will they deport you?

J

jaxter

How late can a person be renewing temp residency? Will they deport you?

I should have noted that i read the instruction page on website and know about the 500 peso per month late fee but it does not mention a limit. And also im a retiree and need bank and retiree papers translated and notarized. Can anyone tell me where to go for this in Puerto Plata?

M

Matilda

For legal translations in Puerto Plata:

Lic. Felix Mercado. Abogados y traductores legales con sede en Puerto Plata. Servicios de traducción en los siguientes idiomas: Español, Inglés, Francés, alemán, holandés e italiano. Tel.: 809-261-0291. Cell.: 809-360-6018.
https://www.facebook.com/fmercadotraducciones/

Matilda

D

Drro

I question the late fee also, how many times can you refuse the date given, they send you another one and then? And also is there a limit to how many months you can be late? Thx

J

jaxter

For legal translations in Puerto Plata:

Lic. Felix Mercado. Abogados y traductores legales con sede en Puerto Plata. Servicios de traducción en los siguientes idiomas: Español, Inglés, Francés, alemán, holandés e italiano. Tel.: 809-261-0291. Cell.: 809-360-6018.
https://www.facebook.com/fmercadotraducciones/

Matilda

Thank you Ms. Matilda. I called and the guy spoke english and said he knew what i need and can do it for 1000pesos per page.

N

nekokatt

I question the late fee also, how many times can you refuse the date given, they send you another one and then? And also is there a limit to how many months you can be late? Thx

I've had 10 months late on permanent (Couldn't travel at that time, then when came, they just switched to online system and no more walk-in so had to do on next trip)

B

Beachboy

https://dominicantoday.com/dr/economy/2019/05/06/no-paperwork-no-cash-to-renew-residence/

Hmmmm

Santo Domingo.- No more paperwork to renew temporary and permanent residence as of May 8, when it will be processed exclusively online through the Immigration Directorate website, the agency said on Monday.

“The payment will be made in the same way,” Immigration said in a statement.

“The new process will prevent users from going to the institution to deposit the documentation when requesting the renewal of their immigration status,” it said.

Applicants must access the Immigration website, select the service, fill out the online forms and scan the documents, passport, and expired or about to expire ID card. “After receiving the documents online, they will be verified and then the system will issue the user a payment notice, which must be done with a credit or debit card.”

Immigration said that once the corresponding payment has been made, the user must click on the button to complete the process, so that it’s registered in the DGM and the appointment is generated, according to the statement.

“After completing the process and making the payment to obtain the card, the user will proceed to deposit at the DGM’s headquarters, with prior notification, the payment receipt or voucher that will be provided by the system with the date and time of the appointment.”

My Experience on the new system
On June the 6th I went to Santo Domingo DGM office to complete my Temporary Residency Renewal (RT-9) using the new enhanced (Ahem) process and would like to document the process that I endured on that day, it was, in fact, my "Longest Day" too. I had little trouble obtaining my Certifiicate of Antecedentes Penales (or Carta de Buena Conducta - if preferred) from the Procurdaria General Webite, also my Repatriation Insurance via Dominicana Insurance. Uploading those two with my passport, cedula, expiring residence card, photos, and requesting renewal letter as jpegs was trouble free too.
After 4 days of re-evaluation I received online notice to acknowledge the email sent to me that then took me online to the payment page, paid the fee using my Popular Debit Card which was accepted immediately, I very nearly missed the required printing the certificate receipt that must be taken to DGM office, - once you hit the complete button that page is gone. I immediately received my date and time to go to DGM office ( date was actual my expiry date - unsure that was coincidental or not. June 6th at 9.00am was my appointment. I did take a photo of my laptop screen of those online pages using my tablet to take with me, also had all those jpegs on my thumb drive - just incase.
The system says you only need your Cedular, Passport, expiring Resuidency Card with your certificate receipt (but we all know reuirements vary, sometimes drastically!
Although this new enhanced system commenced in May, with approx one month in operation to "fine tune it" my experience (and I do not speak for anyone else's experience) I found the more it changes the more it stays the same. For me it was still unmitigated torture, We arrived at 8.30am there was probably 50 - 60 people outside trying to get in. A uniformed official came out and stated that all people with an 8.00am appointment come to the front, so 50-60 people including myself went forward (silly question), inside the door lining up to receive a number I was told to have all my papers ready for review, I explained I had an appointment and only had my payment/appointment certificate with me, I was told no, everything was required, my Dominican girlfriend argued and we were let into the big hall to argue our case at the small counter next to the copying station, the room was packed full, barely standing room inside, the lady explain the appointment times were going to be dropped as it wasn't working well, she eventually gave me my window number after reviewing my page online. I was number --61 they were on -- 21. I did read no lawyers or guests allowed in, only applicant - I guess that rule didn't last a month. It was the same bedlam as previously encountered in other years. After 2 hours and only on --35 my girlfriend (bless her) went back to the small desk and told the official we were expecting to be complete in about an hour as we had an appointment for just ohoto and receiving new card, and following major heart problems with me I needed my heart pills which were in our hotel, and I was having difficulties with the crowd, heat and standing (sorry for the deceit), I got a new number and was called to window 6 within 15 mins, The lady took my appointment certificate and expiring card, she wanted copies of my passport and cedular, even though they have them online we had to go get copies.... Anyway to have photo taken (4 cameras/computers - only one operator working) and receiving my new Residency Card was another 2 hours. 4 hours total to do 10 mins work.
The JCE office in Veron to renew my cedular next day took 15 mins, although that has changed too it appears non-Dominicans now have to go upstairs to different office, same system although the charge is now 4,000 RD/year. - Can't wait to next year to do the process again, lol.

M

Michael Strong

Well it's my turn in august and I am really sick and cannot stand or work long distances, do I need a paper from a doctor to speed it up?

B

Beachboy

Well it's my turn in august and I am really sick and cannot stand or work long distances, do I need a paper from a doctor to speed it up?

I believe the system is sympathetic to illness and disabilities, I noticed a guy in a wheelchair jumping ahead also a lady with a leg in plaster and crutches getting quicker service. To have a Doctors note will do no harm, and speak up and ask for help should advance you. I did feel guilty faking ill health, . However, abiding by a stupid (new) system whereby upto a hunderd people are given the same appointment time is beyond crazy, and lawyers still pushing ahead of applicants is unfair too, I was very frustrated at expecting better, isn't an appointment suppose to be unique to you? I also understand from a official we talked to there will be a new Migration Director next year which will mean a new system more than likely, will it help ?........... The official also stated that issuing cards from regional offices was halted simply because of staff corruption