Residency Renewal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duece

Mar 11, 2004
Just had a buddy of mine I play golf with return from Santo Domingo. He had gone to renew his 10 year permanent residency. Upon arrival he was informed at migration that the 10 year was no longer offered and he had to get a 4 year residency. I renewed in December 2020 for 10 years. Boy am I lucky. I do not like to go to Santo Domingo. My question is what is going on. My friend has had residency for over 30 years. We discussed what was going on. I can't figure it out except for the obvious. The government want to make more money. By ending the ten year they don't have to wait a decade to get into your wallet. For the most part permanent residents contribute a lot of money to the economy. They usually hire Dominicans and support several charities. I plan to die here and this latest move probably won't affect me because I am 73 and I will be 83 when I would have to renew. I might not be around, but not because I left.

Reactions: cavok

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
One of the reasons I went for citizenship. I realize not all can do that because some governments don't allow multiple citizenship like the USA does.

I suspect you are correct about the 10 year renewal.

Reactions: campesinadeatl

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
Just had a buddy of mine I play golf with return from Santo Domingo. He had gone to renew his 10 year permanent residency. Upon arrival he was informed at migration that the 10 year was no longer offered and he had to get a 4 year residency. I renewed in December 2020 for 10 years. Boy am I lucky. I do not like to go to Santo Domingo. My question is what is going on. My friend has had residency for over 30 years. We discussed what was going on. I can't figure it out except for the obvious. The government want to make more money. By ending the ten year they don't have to wait a decade to get into your wallet. For the most part permanent residents contribute a lot of money to the economy. They usually hire Dominicans and support several charities. I plan to die here and this latest move probably won't affect me because I am 73 and I will be 83 when I would have to renew. I might not be around, but not because I left.
I think he has to apply for a Residencia Definitiva, those are for 10 years.
In February this year I had somebody apply for the Residencia Definitiva (10 years) and she received it without complications.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I think he has to apply for a Residencia Definitiva, those are for 10 years.
In February this year I had somebody apply for the Residencia Definitiva (10 years) and she received it without complications.
The only residency for 10 years is Residency Definitiva, which supposedly no longer exists based upon Deuce's comments in the original post.
If that is true, they need an update for the web site. since it is still listed:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Peterj says he has seen it done - in February

The Deuce says it cannot be done....

Nothing to do with the website

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Windy said
It won't be the first time the government has a web site that disagrees with reality.

Can't suck & blow at the same time Windy

As I said waaaay back- time to ask a lawyer

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Windy said
It won't be the first time the government has a web site that disagrees with reality.

Can't suck & blow at the same time Windy

As I said waaaay back- time to ask a lawyer
I don't trust lawyers, so I would ask directly at the Migracion office.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Just had a buddy of mine I play golf with return from Santo Domingo. He had gone to renew his 10 year permanent residency. Upon arrival he was informed at migration that the 10 year was no longer offered and he had to get a 4 year residency.

It was Migracion that started this thread.....

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Just had a buddy of mine I play golf with return from Santo Domingo. He had gone to renew his 10 year permanent residency. Upon arrival he was informed at migration that the 10 year was no longer offered and he had to get a 4 year residency.

It was Migracion that started this thread.....
Then there is no need to see a lawyer to find out about 10 year residency being available.
Unless of course they lied at Migracion and even then, I would ask Migracion myself.

Duece

Mar 11, 2004
I am playing golf with my friend in the morning and I will share the DR1 comments and see if there is any clarification on the issue. My guess is there won't be.

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
I think the problem is in the type of residencia.
As I recall it was possible at a certain time to buy more years for your Permanent Residency.
It looks like that time is over and now you have to apply for a change of residencia-status from Permanent to Definitiva if you want it for 10 years.
I don't think it is something for a lawyer, just go to their website and follow the procedure to change from Permanent to Definitiva.
The website of DGM has improved tremendously and (almost) works 100%.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I think the problem is in the type of residencia.
As I recall it was possible at a certain time to buy more years for your Permanent Residency.
It looks like that time is over and now you have to apply for a change of residencia-status from Permanent to Definitiva if you want it for 10 years.
I don't think it is something for a lawyer, just go to their website and follow the procedure to change from Permanent to Definitiva.
The website of DGM has improved tremendously and (almost) works 100%.
When I attempted to get 10 year residency (Definitiva) a couple of years ago, I had to file a formal request for it. It was refused because of a data error at Migracion, so I gave them the information they lost so I could even renew at all, got a 4 year renewal and then did the work to become naturalized.

Status
Not open for further replies.