Restaurant Prices Shooting Up

richgelber

Jun 13, 2018
Just like the Mexicans used to do in low season with no-one around.
Rather than having attractive prices to attract business they went,
We have to charge much higher prices because there is no-one around.

Either blow your money if it doesn't matter or,
Go Dominican style, bring your own drinks, food, beach chairs and sit on the beach and enjoy.
Don't worry about tourists coming as the only few are from the US, no other flights.
Bocana has always been very high.

Reactions: Caonabo

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Over the last couple of weeks I've been shocked at how expensive restaurants have become. Today at Bocana Boca Chica, prices were sky high. A Cuba Libre for RD$ 380. Pechuga a la Plancha for just under RD$ 900. A soda for RD$ 200. bocana.menuseguro.com.do in case anyone doesn't believe me. This place used to be cheap and cheerful, I'm pretty sure they have doubled their prices in the last 12 months. Lunch for four adults and a couple kids came in at a few pesos under RD$ 10,000, and it was basic, nothing to write home about. Small portions, nothing fancy.

A little walk down the beach showed that prices are similar in other places. Today's special of pasta carbonara in one place for "just" RD$ 600 plus tax and service so $768 in total. And in Santo Domingo itself it's the same story. A cuba libre for RD$ 300 plus tax and service in Plaza España so RD$ 384 in total. A pizza in the Conde for RD$ 895 plus tax and service, so RD$ 1145 in total.

Can't see that jacking up the prices this high is going to help bring the tourists back.

Being that you are attempting to publicly shame a business, do you care to share the prices your hotel...........
Oh, excuse me, the hotel that is housed in the building that you own, that is run by another company.......
....or something or another to that effect, charges it's customers?
I've never seen a hotel owner, or a building/significant property owner that houses a hotel (run by another company) complain about the prices of fried fish and Cuba Libres on a beach front setting.
Perhaps you should pack your own sgettis, arroz con guandules, y 3 pollos asados.....and find a spot along the shoreline that is not occupied by a legitimate business.

irsav

Jan 26, 2019
Because restaurants are segments of communities.
If you do not support your neighbors, do not complain when your community goes down the loo.
I support my community by buying the food stuff in Ole. And by using propane to cook it. And by buying gasoline to drive to Ole. For all this I pay money. That supports my community.

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

irsav

Jan 26, 2019
At THESE prices I will never go eat in a restaurant here. Thank you but no. I am not here for Boca Raton prices.
I am here for the Dominican prices. Or no visits to restaurants at all. My kitchen is well equipped.

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
I support my community by buying the food stuff in Ole. And by using propane to cook it. And by buying gasoline to drive to Ole. For all this I pay money. That supports my community.

We all do our own part, in our own special way.
Have a great day, and enjoy it as you so see fit.

Reactions: irishpaddy

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
We all do our own part, in our own special way.
Have a great day, and enjoy it as you so see fit.
Yes, we all do.
So glad to see that someone actually realizes that.
I prefer to help my community in a more personal way.
Direct contributions to 👯‍♀️ in need.
Sometime I even take them to drinks or dinner if outside dining is available.
But take out and dining at home is better.;)
EAST SIDE‼️

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
So, I looked at the "Exchange Rate" forum on this site. Two years ago, the exchange rate was about 50 to 1(USD). Today, it's closer to 58.

That's a significant increase. Include that with inflation and Covid shortages, along with NA tourists willing to pay near anything to feel like they're getting out of the pandemic, and the increases aren't surprising at all.

I think Hawaii is the prettiest place on earth, truly. That's one of my happy places. Visiting there is astonishingly expensive, as they pretty much have to import everything, and solid VRBO rentals ain't as easy to come by as they used to be.

That said, I happily pay twice or even three times the cost for stuff in the states because it's just so darn pleasant. That, and Costco is truly my best friend.

Same applies for DR, except the price increases have gone from "stupid cheap" prices to "still mighty affordable." In Honolulu, that grilled chicken breast would have easily cost you double. And that's a mile from the beach.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
who is looking up these fancy words, "ambiance"!
What is that anyway.
Character and atmosphere, as in table cloths, metal cutlery, guests dressing up. As opposed to flip flops, sports jerseys or a stained Hawaiian shirt, eating out of styrofoam boxes and drinking out of plastic cups or bottles. Have an evening at Casa21

Reactions: jinty05 and Caonabo

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Character and atmosphere, as in table cloths, metal cutlery, guests dressing up. As opposed to flip flops, sports jerseys or a stained Hawaiian shirt, eating out of styrofoam boxes and drinking out of plastic cups or bottles. Have an evening at Casa21

Do Crocs, bathing suits and faded, sleeveless Rolling Stones t-shirts not make the cut on your list?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Ambiance is more than that; it is the setting, the decoration, the music, the lighting, the placement of tables, the service., and yes the clientele...the whole ball of wax. If one needs to explain it to somebody....

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
A time and a place, Sr. Saunders.
A time and a place.
My favorite bar in Mountainview , California , St James infirmary, has a great ambiance too, but it isn't the type of place to take your girl for a good meal and romance. Well, second on that the burgers and hot wings were outstanding. Here in the DR I am fine eating in a shack if the food is good and the place is clean. Here finding a place with good service plus good food is a little harder than most countries.

Reactions: JD Jones