Restaurant Prices Shooting Up

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Never been in a club in Santiago but everywhere else I have been, the social classes are indeed separated as well. Did they have Plato del Dia?
Yes their version of it, the Dominicans I was with called ahead and had the cook make it for them... was quite good....but then that was after I had a number of Presidentes...............

Reactions: Radical

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Buen provecho! (y)

Once in a blue moon I kill for Chichrrones too, BTW, even that has increased? :oops:
Speaking about chicharones. I went with a guy from Magante, who needed to go to SD as well, for my residency to SD in 2017 in my old Land Rover. Well everything ok, back to RSJ. In Nagua he was starving and needed chicharones with yuca at the usual place. I just took a beer.
I wanted to be back home before dark as it is a terrible road. Ok, for this time eat it along the road. I hate that greasy stuff in my Discovery, but ok.
He finished, and we just passed a Honda 70, a boy with his girlfriend. The guy next to me, opens the window and just throws the white foam plate with fork and what’s left out of the window, straight on the guy and girlfriend.

Radical

Jan 5, 2021
SOMEWHERE
In Nagua he was starving and needed chicharones with yuca at the usual place. I just took a beer.
I wanted to be back home before dark as it is a terrible road. Ok, for this time eat it along the road. I hate that greasy stuff in my Discovery, but ok.
He finished, and we just passed a Honda 70, a boy with his girlfriend. The guy next to me, opens the window and just throws the white foam plate with fork and what’s left out of the window, straight on the guy and girlfriend.

Am surprised he didn't ask to stop and take a dump in the side of the road after the Chicharrones....:cool:

• Haha
Reactions: Fulano2

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Rice and beans have zero cholesterol(?). The average plato del dia probably has less cholesterol than lunch at McDonald's or any other fast food place.

It's been said here before, but most Dominicans have a plato de dia on lunch break. They don't have the time, even if they had the money, for a sit down lunch at a nice restaurant. it's the equivalent of fast food joints in the US - and Warren Buffett eats breakfast at McDonald's often.

Radical

Jan 5, 2021
SOMEWHERE
even if they had the money, for a sit down lunch at a nice restaurant.

It truly gets exhausting :rolleyes:

Most do not have the money, how could anyone fight that?

The average earnings is less than $200.00 USD in the DR, but hey, they do not choose a nice restaurant not because lack of money, but because they need to rush through lunch, right?

Riddle me that one.

If they had the money, the'd be eating something else as the middle class and wealthiest Dominicans do.

and Warren Buffett eats breakfast at McDonald's often.

He's nasty rich!

He can eat at whatever place he chooses, Warren Buffett makes way more than $200.00 USD per month ;)

Rice and beans have zero cholesterol(?)

67 mg to be exact, and 16% cholesterol do they add anything good to the diet?

Fat gut and nasty farts for sure, never mind Diabetes.

• Sad
Reactions: Michael DR

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-

The average earnings is less than $200.00 USD in the DR, but hey, they do not choose a nice restaurant not because lack of money, but because they need to rush through lunch, right?
If they had the money, the'd be eating something else as the middle class and wealthiest Dominicans do.

What is tires me is people who speak opinions as if they were facts.
Now, I am not going to get a rock head to change their mind.
But I can correct misinformation.

I go hard in the paint.
If you throw up weak :poop: I am going to straight reject it.
So come strong or don't bother to come at all‼️

Reactions: cavok

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
Woke: "The phrase originated from African American Vernacular English but has been gradually co-opted by right wing players to be used as an insult"

Im trying to figure out the point of this post ?

Riddle me that one.

He's nasty rich!

He can eat at whatever place he chooses, Warren Buffett makes way more than $200.00 USD per month ;)

We are talking about work week lunches here. I have family that eat out wherever they want on weekends and evenings but will eat cheap food at lunch 3-4 times a week at places that they know are good and hygienic. We did the same when we lived there, even when I worked from home if our maid was doing other stuff and couldn't cook or we got busy with other things, we would frequently get lunch for cheap at 1 of 2 places close to our house. Lots of people in our building would do the same and there is nobody poor that lives there.

The same people will often eat lunch with their workmates at much nicer places or take client etc there but for day to day, there is nothing wrong with the basics.

My mom is far from poor but sends her maid to buy Chinese at least once or twice a week. She is a member of Santo Domingo Country club and goes there to gossip with her friends for lunch regularly too. She is not an ostentatious person but did treat herself to Q5 a couple of years ago, she could quite likely be perceived as one of the "rich " folks at Blue Mall but after shes done there, theres a good chance shell be eating cheap chinese food served at home in her recently redone kitchen with imported cutlery.

There are big money people in RD, but also many people who have nice things, do nice things but will take advantage of the economy and enjoy cheap nutritious lunches from time to time. They are not taking their wives there in the evening, they are not hanging out on a plastic chair with a beer to socialize and watch baseball on a 32 inch chinese flat screen, it is cheap lunch and its often really good.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
This is silly talk.
You know better than this.
Please do not cater to the "woke" folk.
Mr. rfp,

When you figure out the point of the post from Mr. Caonabo will understand that mine was a response to his.
Woke: "The phrase originated from African American Vernacular English but has been gradually co-opted by right wing players to be used as an insult"

And while you are trying to figure it out ask Mr. Caonabo did he mean "woke" as a complement.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete

Riddle me that one.

He's nasty rich!

You're right - it truly does. A lot of these people you see in caferterias and colmados make way more than $200/mo. Are they rich, no, but they are working people and don't have the time during their lunch break to go to a sit down restaurant - regardless if they could afford it.

Warren Buffett is probably worth more than all the wealthy Dominicans put together and he chooses to eat at McDonalds. He's not pretentious about his wealth. And he's 90. All those sausage, egg, and cheese McMuffins with hash browns haven't hurt him.

Rice and beans alone have zero cholesterol. Beans have protein and are said to lower cholesterol. The typical plato de dia is probably healthier than the typical American lunch at a fast food restaurant.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
No, not everyone who has a inexpensive meal is doing it because they have too.
What makes you think that ❓

Well that would depend on if there are Platos del día being served in Blue Mall not wouldn't it❓

Did you miss this post❓

Are you projecting your own activities as a rich person❓
If someone is rich they do not care if the prices in restaurants are going 📈
Rich people don't become rich by wasting their money. Maybe the children of rich people don't care about spending mommy and daddy's money.

Radical

Jan 5, 2021
SOMEWHERE
A lot of these people you see in caferterias and colmados make way more than $200/mo

Less than RD15,000, that's the approximate amount most working people make in this country. The lady at the bank, the dude at the supermarket, heck, an Engineer or a MD wouldn't get pay by the government more than RD40,000 but you are openly suggesting that they prefer to eat Platos del Dia by choice?

Do you pay the maid at your house for cooking, cleaning, laundry, etc, etc, etc RD50,000 per month?

If you do, then she might just be able to afford to eat at the same restaurants you get the pleasure to eat perhaps a few times a week?

How much you pay her?

Do as I said and not as I do; double standards, and please cease diverting with any other subject out of the DR.

Radical

Jan 5, 2021
SOMEWHERE
I have family that eat out wherever they want on weekends and evenings but will eat cheap food at lunch 3-4 times a week at places that they know are good and hygienic.

Lots of people in our building would do the same and there is nobody poor that lives there.
My mom is far from poor but sends her maid to buy Chinese at least once or twice a week.
She is not an ostentatious person but did treat herself to Q5 a couple of years ago, she could quite likely be perceived as one of the "rich " folks at Blue Mall
There are big money people in RD, but also many people who have nice things, do nice things but will take advantage of the economy and enjoy cheap nutritious lunches from time to time.

Everything above points out to opting in, your family and the folks around them aren't considered and sure as hell do not mingle day and day out with the regular poor working populace that eats depending on how the day went by. None of these folks you mentioned, work for RD300-500 per day, that is, if they are able to find something to earn that much, and heck, even if they were earning that much a day on a steady job they wouldn't be making more than RD15,000.

JD Jones posted above about him having La Sirena Sancocho every Sunday evening, see, he can afford to do that because he opted in, he goes there by choice and not necessity. I'm sure that should he chooses to replace the Sancocho for a thick steak at the Nacional Supemarket, he'll do it in a heart beat. The guy next to JD Jones at La Sirena likely doesn't have that as option because he/she wouldn't be able to afford it.

To try and convince oneself that a person making RD15,000 a month eats what they eat everyday because of the rush at lunch is nonsense and very far from a cultural thing. Many here have maids, lets ask them how much they actually pay their maids and employees, do they actually pay wages which would support eating at places as they as bosses do?

Disclaimer: I like this RFP poster. He makes sense in many ways; although with a few disagreements but he gets it. (y) Thanks for adding to the conversation, its a pleasure of mine to interchange views with someone as yourself.

JD Jones is also a good one. Didn't mean to put you out there, just used your routine as an example.

Reactions: JD Jones and rfp

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Radical
If you would please give us an idea of what you consider middle, upper middle and high end Dominicans wage wise.
I worked at Codetel Verizon, Claro from 1992 until around 2006. So I think I have a pretty good idea of the wages in those areas. Many ate lunch at the company cafeteria which those days would have been classed as plate of the day. or they went down Lincoln to the Lincoln Road café which in those days had a lunch buffet (far cry from the restaurant it is today). After they became Claro many ate at the cafeteria (whole different setup from the office on Lincoln) at work in the Building on Kennedy or they walked west down to the corner an got a plate of the day from the back of a pick-up owned by a former employee. Myself included, an it damn sure was not because none of us could not afford something else.
Don't remember many of them wearing designer cloths In the old days most of the guys congregated at a colmado after work to have a few beers and maybe a torpedo sándwich, all again because they wanted too not had too . As a Manager level technician one of my perks as a foreigner I also had a membership at the Santo Domingo County Club, did not see a lot of designer clothing there either more custom tailored. This would be your high-end area.
As a manager tech I done a lot of the hiring so knew most of the wage ranges that we were paying. not 8000-15000 in the bunch ( don't know about the janitors and other cleaning people.
So am interested in what wages your assigning to those various levels of employees and owners.

Reactions: Radical and johne

irsav

Jan 26, 2019
Over the last couple of weeks I've been shocked at how expensive restaurants have become. Today at Bocana Boca Chica, prices were sky high. A Cuba Libre for RD$ 380. Pechuga a la Plancha for just under RD$ 900. A soda for RD$ 200. bocana.menuseguro.com.do in case anyone doesn't believe me. This place used to be cheap and cheerful, I'm pretty sure they have doubled their prices in the last 12 months. Lunch for four adults and a couple kids came in at a few pesos under RD$ 10,000, and it was basic, nothing to write home about. Small portions, nothing fancy.

A little walk down the beach showed that prices are similar in other places. Today's special of pasta carbonara in one place for "just" RD$ 600 plus tax and service so $768 in total. And in Santo Domingo itself it's the same story. A cuba libre for RD$ 300 plus tax and service in Plaza España so RD$ 384 in total. A pizza in the Conde for RD$ 895 plus tax and service, so RD$ 1145 in total.

Can't see that jacking up the prices this high is going to help bring the tourists back.
Horrible news!!!