Restaurant Prices Shooting Up

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Less than RD15,000, that's the approximate amount most working people make in this country. The lady at the bank, the dude at the supermarket, heck, an Engineer or a MD wouldn't get pay by the government more than RD40,000 but you are openly suggesting that they prefer to eat Platos del Dia by choice?

Do you pay the maid at your house for cooking, cleaning, laundry, etc, etc, etc RD50,000 per month?

If you do, then she might just be able to afford to eat at the same restaurants you get the pleasure to eat perhaps a few times a week?

How much you pay her?

Do as I said and not as I do; double standards, and please cease diverting with any other subject out of the DR.
15,000/mo would be the average of the lowest unskilled workers here. There are many other semi-skilled workers here that earn double, triple, or even quadruple that. A security guard at my condo makes 23,000. Our maintenance man about 35,000. Carpenters, plumbers, electricians, mechanics, ac repairmen, just to name a few, can all make even more than that. There are plenty of workers in this category.

I never suggested that any of them could eat at tourist restaurants on the beach and dine on shrimp, lobster, and steak, all of which are much higher in cholesterol than a plato de dia anyway.

There are plenty of local restaurants where I am where you can get a good lunch for 300-400 pesos. Very affordable for these semi-skilled workers and I see them in these restaurants all the time. Some of these same workers have better things to do with their time and money than go to a restaurant and will go to a cafeteria instead for a quick plato de dia. I don't understand why you find this so incomprehensible(?). You sound like you live in a very small snobby, elitist bubble.

There are two cafeterias right by me. Every day I see nice SUV's and cars stopped there. These are people that could afford to eat a restaurant on the beach if they wanted to and probably do from time to time.

We have mods here to decide if I am diverting from the DR and to let me know if I am. You're not one of them.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Everything above points out to opting in, your family and the folks around them aren't considered and sure as hell do not mingle day and day out with the regular poor working populace that eats depending on how the day went by. None of these folks you mentioned, work for RD300-500 per day, that is, if they are able to find something to earn that much, and heck, even if they were earning that much a day on a steady job they wouldn't be making more than RD15,000.

JD Jones posted above about him having La Sirena Sancocho every Sunday evening, see, he can afford to do that because he opted in, he goes there by choice and not necessity. I'm sure that should he chooses to replace the Sancocho for a thick steak at the Nacional Supemarket, he'll do it in a heart beat. The guy next to JD Jones at La Sirena likely doesn't have that as option because he/she wouldn't be able to afford it.

To try and convince oneself that a person making RD15,000 a month eats what they eat everyday because of the rush at lunch is nonsense and very far from a cultural thing. Many here have maids, lets ask them how much they actually pay their maids and employees, do they actually pay wages which would support eating at places as they as bosses do?

Disclaimer: I like this RFP poster. He makes sense in many ways; although with a few disagreements but he gets it. (y) Thanks for adding to the conversation, its a pleasure of mine to interchange views with someone as yourself.

JD Jones is also a good one. Didn't mean to put you out there, just used your routine as an example.
All valid points again.

I would add most of my workers' brown bag their lunch every day and very seldom eat the "plato del dia"

(Most of my workers are between 20-35K a month).

And in most of the other businesses in our free zone the office and middle management are the ones who buy the plato del dia.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Those platos del dia requiere siëstas, at least in my case. Is not good for productivity. Eat something easy to digest at noon, unless you are the rest of the day free of duties. I work long days, sometimes, and don’t lunch at all on those days, just water, water.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Maintaining your blood sugar at a even level is important for productivity.
Most people need to feed their brain.
Not suggesting "plato del dia" is the answer.
But neither is fasting.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
My last two shirts I picked up at the flea market were Patagonia and Matic Clothing company, both 100 percent organic cotton. I really dont pay to much attention to the label. I go by the look and feel of the material and the fit.

Reactions: rfp and bienamor

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
My last two shirts I picked up at the flea market were Patagonia and Matic Clothing company, both 100 percent organic cotton. I really don't pay to much attention to the label. I go by the look and feel of the material and the fit. I have plenty of Hugo Boss....etc that I bought new. I have a lot of clothing and shoes that I bought in Colombia and Argentina, ver good quality, especially the leather shoes. Other shoes I bought in Spain and Germany. I don't buy used shoes.

Reactions: bienamor

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
15,000/mo would be the average of the lowest unskilled workers here. There are many other semi-skilled workers here that earn double, triple, or even quadruple that. A security guard at my condo makes 23,000. Our maintenance man about 35,000. Carpenters, plumbers, electricians, mechanics, ac repairmen, just to name a few, can all make even more than that. There are plenty of workers in this category.

I never suggested that any of them could eat at tourist restaurants on the beach and dine on shrimp, lobster, and steak, all of which are much higher in cholesterol than a plato de dia anyway.

There are plenty of local restaurants where I am where you can get a good lunch for 300-400 pesos. Very affordable for these semi-skilled workers and I see them in these restaurants all the time. Some of these same workers have better things to do with their time and money than go to a restaurant and will go to a cafeteria instead for a quick plato de dia. I don't understand why you find this so incomprehensible(?). You sound like you live in a very small snobby, elitist bubble.

There are two cafeterias right by me. Every day I see nice SUV's and cars stopped there. These are people that could afford to eat a restaurant on the beach if they wanted to and probably do from time to time.

We have mods here to decide if I am diverting from the DR and to let me know if I am. You're not one of them.
Thats what I mean, even in USA someone like Donald Trump will eat at Macdonalds because he likes the food.

There are probably guys that you mentioned ie an ac repairman who works at your building who will occasionally take his girlfriend or wife to a nice restaurant on the beach for a special event. It doesnt mean he's rich anymore than it means JD Jones is poor because he likes the Sunday Sancocho.

There is far more to life there than just the Immensely wealthy and the destitute.

Radical

Jan 5, 2021
SOMEWHERE
A security guard at my condo makes 23,000.

LOL.......that has got to be the best paid "guachi" there ever was.

Our maintenance man about 35,000.

Amazing, your condo is just extremely gracious with pay. Meanwhile a Doctor in Medicine, or a Civil Engineer has got to be very lucky to make 30K?

Does your condo has any openings?

I know a few professionals which wouldn't mind taken over the maintenance gig t your condo
There are plenty of local restaurants where I am where you can get a good lunch for 300-400 pesos.

Lets see, because math never lies:

$400 x 20 days (assuming eating just lunch M-F in a month) = 8,000 DoP per month just in one meal per month.

Assuming that your super paid security guard eats at that restaurant, he'll indulged himself on spending just about 25% of his monthly pay in just one meal. Does anyone in the right mind believe that this is reality in this country?

You sound like you live in a very small snobby, elitist bubble.

Don't hate ;)

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
LOL.......that has got to be the best paid "guachi" there ever was.

Amazing, your condo is just extremely gracious with pay. Meanwhile a Doctor in Medicine, or a Civil Engineer has got to be very lucky to make 30K?

Does your condo has any openings?

I know a few professionals which wouldn't mind taken over the maintenance gig t your condo

Lets see, because math never lies:

$400 x 20 days (assuming eating just lunch M-F in a month) = 8,000 DoP per month just in one meal per month.

Assuming that your super paid security guard eats at that restaurant, he'll indulged himself on spending just about 25% of his monthly pay in just one meal. Does anyone in the right mind believe that this is reality in this country?

Don't hate ;)
"Guachi" is usually reserved for watchmen with a shotgun. We have trained security guards that carry 9mm handguns.

Our maintenance man is a real "jack of all trades. He can do anything. He works hard. He's happy - we're happy. He's worth every peso.

Your docs must be in public hospitals or in the barrios if they'd be lucky to make 30k(?). Skip some of your expensive lunches and go to a private clinic. They make WAY more than that there.

Re-read my post. I said 300-400 pesos. I'd estimate my ac repairman is making around 80k/mo. Same with my mechanic. They are small independent contractors. There are many skilled workers in this category. Do the math. They can easily afford a 300-400 lunch every day if they choose.

Skip a couple of your expensive lunches and try to get out more. Break out of your bubble.

Reactions: bienamor

Radical

Jan 5, 2021
SOMEWHERE
We have trained security guards that carry 9mm handguns.

I'd estimate my ac repairman is making around 80k/mo. Same with my mechanic.

A security guard at my condo makes 23,000. Our maintenance man about 35,000.

Wow!

With those wages, that condo of yours is something else. I might even contemplate to apply for anything?

No wonder your employees get to eat at the same restaurant your frequent yourself. Lastly, how much you pay your maid?

Math, just a beautiful thing!

And I am the one in a bubble?

KITTU

May 13, 2015
Over the last couple of weeks I've been shocked at how expensive restaurants have become. Today at Bocana Boca Chica, prices were sky high. A Cuba Libre for RD$ 380. Pechuga a la Plancha for just under RD$ 900. A soda for RD$ 200. bocana.menuseguro.com.do in case anyone doesn't believe me. This place used to be cheap and cheerful, I'm pretty sure they have doubled their prices in the last 12 months. Lunch for four adults and a couple kids came in at a few pesos under RD$ 10,000, and it was basic, nothing to write home about. Small portions, nothing fancy.

A little walk down the beach showed that prices are similar in other places. Today's special of pasta carbonara in one place for "just" RD$ 600 plus tax and service so $768 in total. And in Santo Domingo itself it's the same story. A cuba libre for RD$ 300 plus tax and service in Plaza España so RD$ 384 in total. A pizza in the Conde for RD$ 895 plus tax and service, so RD$ 1145 in total.

Can't see that jacking up the prices this high is going to help bring the tourists back.
thats way to expensive... even for punta cana prices! I am a restauranteur and am very angry as there is no control of prices. Chicken used to 75 pesos per pound and in less than two weeks its 95, every supplier has increased upto 30%, gas, presidente beer, cepm... you name it and all messing up big time!!!! The government should interfere and try to do something.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Last night we went to Avenida Venezuela. Six beers in one place RD$1900 without service so we are talking just over 300 pesos for a Presidente pequeña. Slightly more in a second place. Absolutely rammed with ordinary Dominicans mostly drinking much more expensive drinks than we were.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Is it not standard operating procedure any longer to have a markup of at least 300% on food and beverage items within the service industry? Anything less than a 300% markup, will most assuredly sink the establishment in due time.
That was always the gold standard, basic keep a float practice, that had existed for decades.
You will pay more depending on the type of establishment you choose to visit, and all the perks and quirks they may happen to offer, as well as the profits the owner would like to realize.
If persons are on a tight budget, they can purchase a Presidente Mediano for 140 pesos at the colmado.
Yes, even colmado prices are rising for the budget minded dipsomaniacs.

Reactions: Big

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Is it not standard operating procedure any longer to have a markup of at least 300% on food and beverage items within the service industry? Anything less than a 300% markup, will most assuredly sink the establishment in due time.
That was always the gold standard, basic keep a float practice, that had existed for decades.
You will pay more depending on the type of establishment you choose to visit, and all the perks and quirks they may happen to offer, as well as the profits the owner would like to realize.
If persons are on a tight budget, they can purchase a Presidente Mediano for 140 pesos at the colmado.
a bottle of Silver Oak Cabernet Sauvignon retails for 160.00 U.S in a restaurant. They pay 80.00 U.S . All considered, the carrying cost, storage, unloading and loading its not a bad deal.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
a bottle of Silver Oak Cabernet Sauvignon retails for 160.00 U.S in a restaurant. They pay 80.00 U.S . All considered, the carrying cost, storage, unloading and loading its not a bad deal.

If the establishment is paying $80 USD for cost, at a minimum, they should be charging $240 USD per bottle, or $60 USD per glass.
300%. Again, this has been a working number for decades. And that, is at a cut even mark for an establishment.
If persons choose to deviate, you now understand why they do not last long in the business, or run sub-par operations.
If they are money washing, they don't care.

Reactions: JD Jones and Big

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Wow!

With those wages, that condo of yours is something else. I might even contemplate to apply for anything?

No wonder your employees get to eat at the same restaurant your frequent yourself. Lastly, how much you pay your maid?
Our maid makes 16,500/mo. All of our other employees make in the low 20's.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
If the establishment is paying $80 USD for cost, at a minimum, they should be charging $240 USD per bottle, or $60 USD per glass.
300%. Again, this has been a working number for decades. And that, is at a cut even mark for an establishment.
If persons choose to deviate, you now understand why they do not last long in the business, or run sub-par operations.
If they are money washing, they don't care.
I think it’s a bit more complicated. Our local restaurant here in Belgium, where we eat on a regular basis (not now, everything closed for months ) offers a Rioja for €26,00, which costs (I asked him as we know each other) him 6,13. Other more expensive wines are double in price. €60-70 for a Amarone for instance.
Makes sense , if he would quadruplicate that Amarone, it would cost a €120-125. Nobody would order that.
(We are talking of bottles of course).

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
I think it’s a bit more complicated. Our local restaurant here in Belgium, where we eat on a regular basis (not now, everything closed for months ) offers a Rioja for €26,00, which costs (I asked him as we know each other) him 6,13. Other more expensive wines are double in price. €60-70 for a Amarone for instance.
Makes sense , if he would quadruplicate that Amarone, it would cost a €120-125. Nobody would order that.
(We are talking of bottles of course).

It's actually not complicating it, it's simplifying it.
The European market is a tad different, in that those folks are known to be a bit more frugal than other geographical locations.
The overhead one must carry is also the main contributing factor.
Again, pre-C19.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I would venture it is much much more than 300% in a successful establishment, especially on food----- on the condition you just don't serve ready-to-serve stuff.

As for wine, establishments that make money on established brands are few and far between.
The trick is to be ahead of the curve and find good unknown wines and have employees capable of selling them.

20 years back, you could get chateau Minuty for 2€ a bottle.... the rest is history.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
It's actually not complicating it, it's simplifying it.
The European market is a tad different, in that those folks are known to be a bit more frugal than other geographical locations.
The overhead one must carry is also the main contributing factor.
Again, pre-C19.
And of course having insight in the kind of customers that frequent your establishment.
Just triple or quadruplicate your prices is not the way to go. Another factor could be..do you depend on the same customers that come back weekly or just tourists you can rip off one time, you never see them back anyway.