Revitalization of Puerto Plata- Plans Revealed

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I am not in favor of using public funds to refurbish or revitalize privately owned property. Ever. I hope this is not the case. Encouragement and tax abatement a, yes.

Since I am new to the DR so please excuse my political na?vet?. But what should be done is the inception / continuance / promotion / of enterprise zones; and the use of public funds to only improve roads, pick up trash, maintain roads, etc etc.

Again I am ver new here, so I don't know to the extent this happens, but What I would like to see is the gov't to force private property owners to adequately maintain their own properties. Fine them until they do so, or foreclose on them. Then you could resell them or convert them into use for the public. Eminent domain!

There is an abandoned hotel or condo accross the street from the hospitalin sosua. Looks like a Giant crack house. Who owns that?. It should be impounded immediately, demolished and used for a park. Or some other type of useful to the public type of property

do you know who owns most of these lands that sit idle for decades? big guys. really big guys. they are rich, and do not have any pressing need for money. they sit on these pieces of property, waiting for big money sales. who is going to tell them what to do? nobody can force their hands. this is the third world.

as to that hotel you are speaking about; it has been for sale forever. nobody is going to buy it for the money they want. the NC is not Monte Carlo, like they think.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
I am not in favor of using public funds to refurbish or revitalize privately owned property. Ever. I hope this is not the case. Encouragement and tax abatement a, yes.

Since I am new to the DR so please excuse my political na?vet?. But what should be done is the inception / continuance / promotion / of enterprise zones; and the use of public funds to only improve roads, pick up trash, maintain roads, etc etc.

Again I am ver new here, so I don't know to the extent this happens, but What I would like to see is the gov't to force private property owners to adequately maintain their own properties. Fine them until they do so, or foreclose on them. Then you could resell them or convert them into use for the public. Eminent domain!

There is an abandoned hotel or condo accross the street from the hospitalin sosua. Looks like a Giant crack house. Who owns that?. It should be impounded immediately, demolished and used for a park. Or some other type of useful to the public type of property

You have a way to go.......

PaGuyinDr

Sep 2, 2013
do you know who owns most of these lands that sit idle for decades? big guys. really big guys. they are rich, and do not have any pressing need for money. they sit on these pieces of property, waiting for big money sales. who is going to tell them what to do? nobody can force their hands. this is the third world.

as to that hotel you are speaking about; it has been for sale forever. nobody is going to buy it for the money they want. the NC is not Monte Carlo, like they think.

How much is the property owner being fined for the appalling condition of the property until it's sold? That's my point. The owner should not be allowed to have a property in such deplorable condition . Fine him until he's motivate to sell it for a dollar! Let somebody else have it that can afford to maintain it. It is an eyesore, it attracts crime an it is dangerous. Whoever owns it shoul be responsible for it, it should be sieze by gummit if he / she / they cannot sell it.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
This would be a totally different island if that were the case. And don't be surprised if the owner of the property isn't a high placed gov't. official themselves.

Shoot themselves in the foot? I don't tink so......

that is exactly what i asked him. who does he think owns these properties? who is going to fine them?

does he think Danilo Medina and his boys run this country? NOT! it is run by guys from Jarabacoa, and Bonao, and Casa De Campo, and they own a lot of these properties. try fining them and see what happens. it is called the Third World.

PaGuyinDr

Sep 2, 2013
Wow, you must be a Republican. Fine him, force him to do what you think is best. Don't believe much in freedom do you?
Der Fish

The ownership of property is an individual right. If one can afford it. But, the property owner is not excused from ensuring public safety. With property ownership comes responsibility. If a property owner's neglect endangers or infringes on the rights of the
People, the rights of the people, prevail

And that is definitely a republican point of you.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
As a relative newcomer, i would like today thank you to all the grizzled old-timers who have seen this shot before and keep my enthusiasm in check!
After 3 or 4 years here i am now beginning to see where you guys are coming from

It takes time to adjust. You are used to a place where when a public works program was announced, it was almost always finished. This is not that place.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
modification of the fort into an outdoor concert hall! How this will improve the tourist experience was not explained. Since the ships leave by 5:00pm or 6:00pm at the latest, this seems to be of zero value to tourism, but of great value to some local builders and politicians.

not the fort, surely? this is partrimonio cultural, i doubt it can be remodeled. i understood they will build anfiteatro in that area but not use the fort? in any case, this construction is to cost 252 million pesos. i also fail to see the value of this to tourism. who comes to DR to see mozart la para en concierto? that is supposed to start at 9 pm and the artist arrives after midnight?

PaGuyinDr

Sep 2, 2013
Insuring public safety? What a laugh. With millions of open holes in the sidewalks and streets Imagine the property owners fixing all those on their land to Insure public safety!!!

Imagine government forcing property owners to do just that. Private property owners are responsible if the condition of the property poses a threat to the public or infringes on the rights of citizens. This is basic democratic stuff and should be enforced in the dr

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Imagine government forcing property owners to do just that. Private property owners are responsible if the condition of the property poses a threat to the public or infringes on the rights of citizens. This is basic democratic stuff and should be enforced in the dr

this is not a basic democratic country...

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005

In this country, trespassing is unlawful, meaning if you go on someones property and hurt yourself, its YOUR FAULT, not the owners.......and he can sue you for trespassing, or just shoot you......LOL you need to learn where you are living

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010

This is the DR.

Please understand that your views on how you think the world should work are confined only to your country and environment.

They are not necessarily valid in any other country, including this one,-- and many more I can think of.

The US, Europe and Canada, for example are presented as democratic societies yet in nearly all cases, the majority voice is never heard.

As Banda of Malwi once said,
"We tried democracy, and it didn't work..."...