Rheem Tankless Hot Water Heaters

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Last week I needed to buy a tankless hot water heater and installed in a property in the states . This was done to solve a space problem in an area that previously was equipped with a hot water tank and an electrical panel box. The solution was easy as the new unit went on the wall and big unit removed in a trade I did with plumber.

Now in a house that is under renovation in SD I have on the second floor 2 full baths. Currently, the house is used only half of the week. Although the shower water temperature NOW is comfortable, I'm thinking of one of these tankless units for shower water.

I'd appreciate any comments from members that have experience on this subject. ie; DR is no USA. LOL.
TIA

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
I have a Lorenzetti. I've had it for almost 8 years and I love it. I bought it in Cabarete. Highly reliable and efficient.

Reactions: marcosalm

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
So, being unfamiliar with this of type of system I need to know: (1)Since I am using the house 3/4 days a week I assume the unit is shut off in my absence. How long does it take to call for hot water? (2)When they are not "heating" water how much energy are they using? (3) Are they "smart" heaters...can I control the operating of the unit from my cell phone remotely? (4) In a general sort of estimate what do they cost to run)electric)?

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
If no water is going through it, it does not consume electricity or gas.

You can probably get a controller that works with Alexa if you're worried about electrical consumption.

The gas one only uses a minimal amount of electricity to generate a spark to ignite the gas that heats the water.

Whichever type you buy, make sure you have some sort of water filter on the intake side. What usually messes with them are mineral deposits in the heating chamber.

Reactions: johne

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
If no water is going through it, it does not consume electricity or gas.

You can probably get a controller that works with Alexa if you're worried about electrical consumption.

The gas one only uses a minimal amount of electricity to generate a spark to ignite the gas that heats the water.

Whichever type you buy, make sure you have some sort of water filter on the intake side. What usually messes with them are mineral deposits in the heating chamber.

Our gas ones aren’t connected to any electricity. They operate on 2 D batteries for the spark.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
So, being unfamiliar with this of type of system I need to know: (1)Since I am using the house 3/4 days a week I assume the unit is shut off in my absence. How long does it take to call for hot water? (2)When they are not "heating" water how much energy are they using? (3) Are they "smart" heaters...can I control the operating of the unit from my cell phone remotely? (4) In a general sort of estimate what do they cost to run)electric)?
I have them in all my Apartments here my advice to you is if you're in the states buy one in the states and bring it in your luggage because here they are triple the price another DR gouging technique

Reactions: cavok

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I have them in all my Apartments here my advice to you is if you're in the states buy one in the states and bring it in your luggage because here they are triple the price another DR gouging technique
I took pictures of two units and prices in Home Depot yesterday. Will decide that next week when I get back to DR. Thanks for the tip anyway.