RICE , BEANS , & CHICKEN ( la bandera )

Status
Not open for further replies.

rey

Jan 2, 2007
I was dignosed with extremely high cholesterol today , I was given 2 choices get on a PILL ( 99 side effects ) or GET on a healthy diet forever

I decided NOT to take the PILL and it’s 99 side effects ; So everyone knows I will be moving to DR in January and one of my budget $$$ rules was to eat inexpensive food or at least NOT to eat fancy food during the weekdays and stick to PLATO DEL DIA at comedores , I guess y’all know where this is heading to ;

2 questions :

1- is rice beans chicken a healthy choice for Lunch ?

2- what other choice of healthy food may one found at a typical Dominican COMEDOR / plato del dia type restaurant ?

rey

Jan 2, 2007
Healthy except they add a lot of salt to it, and often sopita, which has a fair amount of animal fat in it. Avoid fried foods, and eat lots of vegetables and fruit. Quit eating anything with sugar and most processed food.
Thanks ! Good information to know

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
There are plenty of healthy options such as buying your fruits and vegetable from local vendors instead of the supermarket. Cook at home, this way you can regulate how much salt, oil, etc...is used.

Reactions: rey

rey

Jan 2, 2007
There are plenty of healthy options such as buying your fruits and vegetable from local vendors instead of the supermarket. Cook at home, this way you can regulate how much salt, oil, etc...is used.
Thanks

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
I was dignosed with extremely high cholesterol today , I was given 2 choices get on a PILL ( 99 side effects ) or GET on a healthy diet forever

I decided NOT to take the PILL and it’s 99 side effects ; So everyone knows I will be moving to DR in January and one of my budget $$$ rules was to eat inexpensive food or at least NOT to eat fancy food during the weekdays and stick to PLATO DEL DIA at comedores , I guess y’all know where this is heading to ;

2 questions :

2- what other choice of healthy food may one found at a typical Dominican COMEDOR / plato del dia type restaurant ?
Who diagnosed you?

Since you will be moving to DR full time just make sure this makes sense to you as you will be in DR full time and you are on a budget.

You should have done these tests a long time ago to prepare yourself to moving out of the country. You want to be as healthy as possible before leaving.

Reactions: rey and keepcoming

rey

Jan 2, 2007
La Bandera is a healthy meal if you are mixing cement for a living 😆😆, otherwise you will end up putting on a lot of weight. No idea cholesterol-wise.
That is funny , thanks brother

But I think you being too HARSH on la bandera ( Plato del dia ) … Dominicans has being eaten that specific plate for lunch for more than 100 years.

Thanks for your input

Reactions: malko

rey

Jan 2, 2007
Who diagnosed you?

Since you will be moving to DR full time just make sure this makes sense to you as you will be in DR full time and you are on a budget.

You should have done these tests a long time ago to prepare yourself to moving out of the country. You want to be as healthy as possible before leaving.
Ye sir

A doctor of course ,

I did the study late because getting a physical exam at the VA hospital takes weeks maybe months ,

Thanks

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
That is funny , thanks brother

But I think you being too HARSH on la bandera ( Plato del dia ) … Dominicans has being eaten that specific plate for lunch for more than 100 years.

Thanks for your input

And for 100 years, life was harsh..... and still is for some.
La Bandera, in my mind, is a physical worker's lunch. Not for a motoconcho, banker, teacher, etc .....
You will see the size of the average Fulano/a on the street, and you will understand 😄

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
And for 100 years, life was harsh..... and still is for some.
La Bandera, in my mind, is a physical worker's lunch. Not for a motoconcho, banker, teacher, etc .....
You will see the size of the average Fulano/a on the street, and you will understand 😄
I sometimes have the Plato del Dia (which is the dish of the day, not necessarily chicken, rice and beans) especially when I'm on the road. I accept as much rice as they care to shovel on, then take half home to re-heat the next day.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011

2 questions :

Based on what you posted, I would say that you need to find alternatives to "plato del dia". I understand your trying to stay within your "budget" but your health should come first. Also, if you decide to move to the DR, your first order of business should be to locate a physician who can monitor your cholesterol.

rey

Jan 2, 2007
Based on what you posted, I would say that you need to find alternatives to "plato del dia". I understand your trying to stay within your "budget" but your health should come first. Also, if you decide to move to the DR, your first order of business should be to locate a physician who can monitor your cholesterol.
Well put

Gracias

Joseph NY2STI

Mar 22, 2020
Not to be nosy, but being as you mentioned it.....How high is "extremely high"? What are your triglycerides like? If your levels are as elevated as you say, diet alone won't do it.

Reactions: Big and keepcoming

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Not to be nosy, but being as you mentioned it.....How high is "extremely high"? What are your triglycerides like? If your levels are as elevated as you say, diet alone won't do it.

True. OP can try Red Yeast Rice if he doesn’t want to take a statin.

Reactions: keepcoming

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
My cholesterol dropped when I moved here... better diet I credit that to.

Fresh veg/fruit........little to no red meat.......

Just eat well........

Reactions: Auryn

Joseph NY2STI

Mar 22, 2020
My cholesterol dropped when I moved here... better diet I credit that to.

Fresh veg/fruit........little to no red meat.......

Just eat well........
Same here, due to diet and A LOT of running and walking. Had to buy new pants which no longer fit since I moved back to "civilization".

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I sometimes have the Plato del Dia (which is the dish of the day, not necessarily chicken, rice and beans) especially when I'm on the road. I accept as much rice as they care to shovel on, then take half home to re-heat the next day.

Oh, dont get me wrong, I have nothing against La Bandera, we actually have it every day.
We have an arrangement with a neighbour/family, 1 meal at lunch per day, for less than 2k pesos per month. Meat, rice, habichuelas or guandules and a salad.

We dont do breakfast, than at lunch my SO gets 1/3 of plato del dia, I get 1/3, and Wolf gets 1/3 ----- sometimes he gets it all 😆😆😆.

And I still put on weight in the DR 😖😖😖

Gadfly

Jul 7, 2016
For furiners with delicate stomachs careful with reheating rice the next day or two. A doctor in sosua warned me many years ago when I used to get sick from the food. He said bacteria can grow in the rice. Now I have the resistance but I’m still careful. I like to toss it same day if not finished. Not the GF, she’ll make asopao de something and boil the schnict out of it. Maybe solving the threat. I will often trash mine when she’s not looking. I like airtight plastic containers to minimize the risk also.

Status
Not open for further replies.