Romeo Santos Tour 2015

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Major Lazer as in "DJs". . . .pressing play and throwing hands in the air? Romeo sings like a girl but the dude can sing. If/when he uses autotune it is for effect not for failure to stay in tune.

Agreed. I must admit that even I like some stuff from him, GF is a big fan so I added him on my USB stick for the car. There he shares the space with my Heavy Metal collection... :nervous::rolleyes::knockedou:p:cheeky::laugh:

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Major Lazer as in "DJs". . . .pressing play and throwing hands in the air? Romeo sings like a girl but the dude can sing. If/when he uses autotune it is for effect not for failure to stay in tune.

electronic voice effects went out with Roger Troutmann from Zapp, in the mid 1980s. Herbie Hancock used them on Stars in Your Eyes, but since Herbie is the greatest musician on earth, he is allowed. in 2015, nobody should be using vocorders and autotune. that phase of music is over.

airgordo

Bronze
Jun 24, 2015
Yankee Stadium is 50,000 people. there were other artists on the billing. several of those tickets were complimentary giveaways.

when he can draw 107,000 people from all ethnic groups, like Major Lazer did last summer, then come back and talk to me.

he sings BACHATA, so what is your complain? you are so busy looking for the 5th leg of a cat that you can't understand that been able to sell out that stadium with a music style which is pointed to a VERY specific public and LANGUAGE is quite an achievement.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
he sings BACHATA, so what is your complain? you are so busy looking for the 5th leg of a cat that you can't understand that been able to sell out that stadium with a music style which is pointed to a VERY specific public and LANGUAGE is quite an achievement.

i guess my hangover is an argument i had with some Dominicans who said that Bachata is the biggest and baddest current music genre, and that reggae is dead. i am aware that all music has its following. not too many jazz players can sell out Yankee Stadium, but there are almost a million Dominicans in NYC, not to mention other Hispanics, so selling 50,000 seats should not be as difficult as people think.

airgordo

Bronze
Jun 24, 2015
i guess my hangover is an argument i had with some Dominicans who said that Bachata is the biggest and baddest current music genre, and that reggae is dead. i am aware that all music has its following. not too many jazz players can sell out Yankee Stadium, but there are almost a million Dominicans in NYC, not to mention other Hispanics, so selling 50,000 seats should not be as difficult as people think.

so if I use your logic then, reggae which is in ENGLISH understandable for basically all people there not just a small fraction should do the same as well and sell out two nights, piece of cake huh??:D

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
so if I use your logic then, reggae which is in ENGLISH understandable for basically all people there not just a small fraction should do the same as well and sell out two nights, piece of cake huh??:D

if Romeo can sel out Yankee Stadium two nights, Sean Paul will do at least four. piece of cake.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
here is the deal, airgordo. we obviously have different criteria for measuring the worth of an artist. if a guy has been around as long as he is, and i have never heard a song from him that i would really like to hear again, then i don?t consider him great. that is my opinion, and your mileage may vary. i have worn out my JLG cds, and youtube, because i hear his music in my head. this guy Romeo Santos is a good looking guy who makes women swoon at his performances, and that is why he is popular. if he looked like Joe Cocker, he would have trouble drawing enough to fill a phone booth.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
this guy Romeo Santos is a good looking guy who makes women swoon at his performances, and that is why he is popular.

That's it!!!!

90% of the fans are that WOMEN!!!!!!

IMO he is not all that. More power to him. Not a hater. Just telling like it is.

Now Joe was a musician and legend.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
That's it!!!!

IMO he is not all that. More power to him. Not a hater. Just telling like it is.

thank you!! i watch some of his stuff on youtube, and it is all women who go to see his performances. as you say, more power to him. he can draw huge crowds of women, but he is still to compose a song which will be remembered 5 years from now.

Cocker, and guys like those, are true artists. his vinyl albums are collector?s items, which are sought out by serious collectors.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
However, he did call out Donald trump in a show at barclay's. When I am out in the clubs and Romeo is played ALL the girls shriek. The dance floor leaving their boyfriends behind. They would rather dance with each other thinking Romeo is singing to them than dance with their boyfriend/husband. Not sure, but I get the vibe those girls are barking up the wrong tree.

KOB was a great album.

Btw, who can believe Romeo is 33? Damn, I'm getting old!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
electronic voice effects went out with Roger Troutmann from Zapp, in the mid 1980s. Herbie Hancock used them on Stars in Your Eyes, but since Herbie is the greatest musician on earth, he is allowed. in 2015, nobody should be using vocorders and autotune. that phase of music is over.

Auto-tune is still all over in crappy Pop style music. The same overall genre into which Romeo caters despite using a Bachata rhythm. JLG is a true artist while Romeo is a pop star.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
However, he did call out Donald trump in a show at barclay's. When I am out in the clubs and Romeo is played ALL the girls shriek. The dance floor leaving their boyfriends behind. They would rather dance with each other thinking Romeo is singing to them than dance with their boyfriend/husband. Not sure, but I get the vibe those girls are barking up the wrong tree.

KOB was a great album.

Btw, who can believe Romeo is 33? Damn, I'm getting old!

that is exactly what BB and myself are saying. those women do not care if he is good. to them, he looks good. if he sang a UPS jingle, they would shriek, and they would go see him every week.

i will start listening to him when i hear him sing a song and i just have to find out the song title.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Auto-tune is still all over in crappy Pop style music. The same overall genre into which Romeo caters despite using a Bachata rhythm.

i have noticed that myself. i thought it had died out with guys like Zapp, but it seems to have come back with a vengeance. if some of these so called artists had to sing an unplugged album, no producer would release it.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
i have noticed that myself. i thought it had died out with guys like Zapp, but it seems to have come back with a vengeance. if some of these so called artists had to sing an unplugged album, no producer would release it.

It reminds me of when I went into the studio to create some promos for a cover band in California. I had parts to sing that I got in one or two takes. The lead singer and leader of the band had to sing each and every phrase separately a number of times to get it close to right. Over the past dozen years, he has taken lessons and now leads the number one cover band in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Autotune greatly reduces the time it takes to engineer such an album when the singer is not capable of singing on pitch.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
That's it!!!!

I don't know in DR, I see many many guys in clubs, street who sing every single words to his songs, may be it is in the hope of the propuesta indecente song

♪♪How about you and I
Me and you
Bailamos bachata
Y luego
You and I
Me and you
Terminamos en la cama (Qu? rico...)
♪♪♪

I think Romeo suits both gender in different ways ;) I am convinced Dominican men get their lines from Bachata songs anyway, lol

I find his songs a little repetitive after you hear them 2.4 millions times and his voice can be annoying (sounded better before), but they are a pleasure to dance to :)

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
I read an article years ago in which he described his early songwriting. He would run the lyrics by his mother who would scoff at his ny Spanish and help him rework the song to a more culturally based Spanish.

Those kids in aventura really rocked the world and ushered in a new (if derivative) form of bachata.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Prince Royce and Romeo are ok.

I rather listen to folks like:

[video=youtube;7UPAqWBdiBc]x[/video]

I guess I am an old fogey!!!