Roof filtration/how big of a problem is it with flat roofs in DR

Lothario666

Bronze
Oct 16, 2012
In reading through old threads I once saw a post that stated the main problem about roofs in the D.R were caused by improper curing of the concrete. It said something like, "Many of the builders pour the roof" then walk away from it for about a week.

It was stated that it was bad to do that, that the concrete should be kept wet for a minimum of a week for curing. The longer it was kept wet, the stronger and more water proof it became.

Anjinsen

Banned
Jul 24, 2011
i think it will always filter through if flat and painted its just a question of when and how much- have you checked other areas apart from the actual roof, it may be splashing back or under somewhere

Dec 26, 2011
In reading through old threads I once saw a post that stated the main problem about roofs in the D.R were caused by improper curing of the concrete. It said something like, "Many of the builders pour the roof" then walk away from it for about a week.

It was stated that it was bad to do that, that the concrete should be kept wet for a minimum of a week for curing. The longer it was kept wet, the stronger and more water proof it became.

It's as simple as covering the poured roof in plastic sheeting and spraying water on it to allow for a nice slow cure. If the concrete dries out before it fully cures cracking and spalling occur.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The condo where I live in Sosua has a flat roof. We had the roof sealed by Pintaca from Santiago. Wasn't cheap, but we have a 15 year guarantee. The top floor apartments also are now noticeably cooler because the product used to seal the roof reflects the sun and heat upward.

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
[ed to seal the roof reflects the sun and heat upward.[/QUOTE]

Update...I called The engineer and he went to the house and confirmed that its not a roof filtration but rather a pipe that runs through the roof.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
[ed to seal the roof reflects the sun and heat upward.

Update...I called The engineer and he went to the house and confirmed that its not a roof filtration but rather a pipe that runs through the roof.[/QUOTE]

Good news.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
DR "Rule", NEVER buy a house with a flat roof, it WILL leak, even with "Sealer"
With a sloped roof you might have a chance.
I have both, I can't win.
CC

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
DR "Rule", NEVER buy a house with a flat roof, it WILL leak, even with "Sealer"
With a sloped roof you might have a chance.
I have both, I can't win.
CC

You right as always CCCCCCCCCCCCCC.

I have a flat roof over my porches. Problem number one is that the flat roof WAS to have a slight pitch to the drains. aHHHH, didn't work out that way. So water collects in the middle and seeps through 12" of concret to drip on the porch below AND wicks into the walls of the house pealing the paint.

We have it sealed twice a year and still have the problem. I'm working on engineering a whole new roof without tearing out the big main house one. Not easy and I have not figured it out yet.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
You right as always CCCCCCCCCCCCCC.

I have a flat roof over my porches. Problem number one is that the flat roof WAS to have a slight pitch to the drains. aHHHH, didn't work out that way. So water collects in the middle and seeps through 12" of concret to drip on the porch below AND wicks into the walls of the house pealing the paint.

We have it sealed twice a year and still have the problem. I'm working on engineering a whole new roof without tearing out the big main house one. Not easy and I have not figured it out yet.

Ringo - that's not a big deal to fix that the reason being is that the structural concrete for flat sections that is poured generally has no pitch as that is added later with a lighter concrete mixture.

gandolf50

Apr 17, 2011
True, the people who do the labor have nothing to do with the quality of the work, the "engineer" is responsible for that.. On that note, who the hell is giving away all the "ingeniero", "doctor", "licensiado", "abogado" titles in the DR lately?

They come free with a secret decoder ring with every box of Cracker Jack!