Rude people

Status
Not open for further replies.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Not if you have a bulging pocket filled with 1000's............

So if you carry a lot of cash you are supposed to tip more than RD$100 to the bag boy? Gimme a break.

Some people prefer to carry cash instead of keeping it in the bank or using credit card, I don't think this obligates them to tip more.

Last night in Sosua, I was approached by two dominican girls who, before they got to close to me, said 'hey Grajo.' I guess because I am a foreigner, I have body odor? (I had just taken a shower).

There are rude people everywhere, there are also nice people everywhere. I try not to let the bad apples bother me.

Reactions: AlterEgo

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Just another millionaire for a moment. Enjoying looking down on others with his wad of cash before he goes back to his job at burger king and people do the same to him.

Mind RB has been in the area lately, I wonder if he tips 100pesos for packing his bags!!

Reactions: rice&beans

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
Here's a tip....don't forget your umbrella....it's gonna rain tonight...

So if you carry a lot of cash you are supposed to tip more than RD$100 to the bag boy? Gimme a break.

Some people prefer to carry cash instead of keeping it in the bank or using credit card, I don't think this obligates them to tip more.

Last night in Sosua, I was approached by two dominican girls who, before they got to close to me, said 'hey Grajo.' I guess because I am a foreigner, I have body odor? (I had just taken a shower).

There are rude people everywhere, there are also nice people everywhere. I try not to let the bad apples bother me.

A person with a pocket full of mil Peso denominations, acting like a big shot, rude, nice, whatever.....100 pesos is probably not a big deal, tipping is different for everybody......and it doesn't obligate THEM to tip more..(with a pocket full of cash) or YOU to do the same..THAT'S up to you....with me it depends on what kind of mood I am in, if I have a hangover, happy, ****ed, drunk, whatever......it's not always the same.....it's ALWAYS a minimum of at least 50 pesos, but I've given 100 pesos, depends what your comfortable with.........funny I've had my shoes shined plenty of times, and I ALWAYS give more......such a small thing to do, but you make that persons DAY............A small way of giving back to the less fortunate.....(and they're providing a service for you)....:cheeky:

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
A person with a pocket full of mil Peso denominations, acting like a big shot, rude, nice, whatever.....100 pesos is probably not a big deal, tipping is different for everybody......and it doesn't obligate THEM to tip more..(with a pocket full of cash) or YOU to do the same..THAT'S up to you....with me it depends on what kind of mood I am in, if I have a hangover, happy, ****ed, drunk, whatever......it's not always the same.....it's ALWAYS a minimum of at least 50 pesos, but I've given 100 pesos, depends what your comfortable with.........funny I've had my shoes shined plenty of times, and I ALWAYS give more......such a small thing to do, but you make that persons DAY............A small way of giving back to the less fortunate.....(and they're providing a service for you)....:cheeky:

A service? Packing the groceries you just paid for? Maybe it's just me, but the store has to put the stuff into bags, I don't see why that person deserves a tip any more than the person who rings up the order, unless there are extenuating circumstances or the person is particularly nice. A 100 peso tip is generous.

Now when they pack it and then bring it out to the car for you and put it in your trunk, and return the cart to the store - THAT deserves a decent tip.

AE

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
You're going to need the proper attire, you don't want people being rude to YOU.......and of course by wearing an English tee shirt....(WTF does that say?..lol) in a Spanish speaking country, you would be perceived as being RUDE.........so this might be the way to go, lol.....hey it's a start............:cheeky:

This is funny! Thanks! Actually I think you are right - being mean and rude has not done any good to anyone. It is much more important to be confident and content.

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
It's not about deserving.....It's about YOU wanting to give....

A service? Packing the groceries you just paid for? Maybe it's just me, but the store has to put the stuff into bags, I don't see why that person deserves a tip any more than the person who rings up the order, unless there are extenuating circumstances or the person is particularly nice. A 100 peso tip is generous.

Now when they pack it and then bring it out to the car for you and put it in your trunk, and return the cart to the store - THAT deserves a decent tip.

AE

AE that's what I'm talking about... when the PERSON BRINGS IT TO YOUR CAR, but sometimes the same person who packs my groceries will also go the extra step and pack my car, (the gringo effect)......I KNOW they'll do it for Dominicans also....(it's called pre qualifying)...lol...doesn't matter if I do it, or they do it...I don't really care....(but if they do it, I tip) ..........the OP talked about some jerk who was tipping the person at the REGISTER....(which certainly is HIS perogative, even if he is a total *&&%$#@ ) It's his money, there are JERKS EVERYWHERE, not just in the DR............that's life!!.....:cheeky:

Reactions: Celt202

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
simon cowell,paula abdul,gordon ramsey, anne robinson .....shall I go on lol

Those are television entertainers. They just want all the wrong attention for all kinds of reasons. A normal person does not need that kind of attention at all. It can lead to no good. :paranoid:

Reactions: Celt202

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
AE that's what I'm talking about... when the PERSON BRINGS IT TO YOUR CAR, but sometimes the same person who packs my groceries will also go the extra step and pack my car, (the gringo effect)......I KNOW they'll do it for Dominicans also....(it's called pre qualifying)...lol...doesn't matter if I do it, or they do it...I don't really care....(but if they do it, I tip) ..........the OP talked about some jerk who was tipping the person at the REGISTER....(which certainly is HIS perogative, even if he is a total *&&%$#@ ) It's his money, there are JERKS EVERYWHERE, not just in the DR............that's life!!.....:cheeky:

OK, gotcha, but the OP said he threw the 100 pesos to the guy bagging the groceries, not the cashier.

When I'm in any supermarket I'm usually with either my husband or one of my Dominican sister-in-laws, and they always have someone bag. If there's no one bagging at that register, someone magically appears. So, you think we're being 'profiled' as to whether we'll tip? In Santo Domingo they all bring it out to the car, and yes, we always tip.

I do a lot of shopping at the La Sirena in San Cristobal on the way out to our house, and they pack it in the cart for you and then you're on your own. I've never seen them bring anyone's out to the car, so maybe it's only prevalent some places in the country?

AE

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
I do a lot of shopping at the La Sirena in San Cristobal on the way out to our house, and they pack it in the cart for you and then you're on your own. I've never seen them bring anyone's out to the car, so maybe it's only prevalent some places in the country? AE

Same in La Sirena in POP...have never had them bring it to the car. Having said that, they will do that in Supermercado Jose Luis in POP....and both definately warrant a tip IMO....maybe not RD$100:cheeky:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
AE all around Cabarete/Sosua... it gets delivered to the car.

They'll pack your cooler w/ ice for the meats etc and the back of the car.
These are young boys... 25-50 pesos does it (its about 40 feet to the car) but what they really like is the leftover ice:glasses:

Never seen that happen outside of the "big cities" !
Well, it happens at Fermin's in Rio san Juan but thats a big place.... not!

WW

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
I think im right in saying that in sosua they are not employed by the supermarket, so have to rely on the tips (bag packers)

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Would you be inclined to tip more generously otherwise?

At RSJ, sometimes its a middle aged woman..... really, its a nice blend of service and entrepreneurialism

Don't they always load your water bottle for for you AE ?
Do you tip them?

Question.... how much do you tip on a 40 peso bottle of water?

WW

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Don't they always load your water bottle for for you AE ?
Do you tip them?

Question.... how much do you tip on a 40 peso bottle of water?

WW

I'm ashamed to say I've never bought a bottle of water myself in DR:ermm: The colmado always delivers it in Santo Domingo, my husband does the tipping, has to be at least the cost of the bottle, haha. We have the bottles out at our house in the campo too, we bring them from SD, but if we run low there's a water truck that comes around and they will refill them for you [I think that's 20 pesos, no tip required :squareeye].

AE

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Yep.... water truck but my family no gusta the truck

I give them 5-10 pesos for the bottle to the car again... 6-10 feet

WW

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Yep.... water truck but my family no gusta the truck

I give them 5-10 pesos for the bottle to the car again... 6-10 feet

WW

I don't like the water truck either - which is why we drag the bottles from the capital. It's probably the same water, but it just doesn't feel as clean/sterile/pure as the sealed bottles.

AE

eralc777

Aug 6, 2005
I didnt say there was anything wrong with tipping the guy that was helping back his bags and take it to his car....or the amount he tipped. What bothered me the most was the way he threw the bill at this guy. He couldn't even show him the common courtesy of handing it to him in a civilised way.

Just goes to show that money doesnt equal manners.

And I am well aware that rude people are every where in the world.....just thought I would comment about this particular situation that I witnessed and thought I would share it and see if anyone else would have acted in this way. I hope no-one would!!

Maybe it's because when I was younger I worked in a supermarket and I remember all to well how customers treated the employees. It's a pet hate of mine.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
I don't tip for packing alone. Today I bought 3 items in la Cadena in Gazcue and took the bags and didn't tip.

When the lad carries it to my car, which is usually, I give him a 25 peso coin and he appreciates it.

I've seen foreign slugs exhibit the rudeness that the OP talks about. I've never felt a need to intervene.

Maybe I will one day if the situation warrants.

Status
Not open for further replies.