Rules only apply when they are insignificant.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
let's see if I can convince my wife to send him to karate...i think his big brother, who I always denied going to karate, will not be happy though.

You are from the Netherlands if I am not mistaking, are there any bilingual school in SD ? (that could be an interesting change for your son)

Last edited:

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Mauricio, I understand your concern but I think it is a good idea to keep things in perspective. First I realize the convention we were brought up with is to get our kids the maximum amount of quality education in the shortest amount of time possible. I know plenty of examples of people that were raised this way and have very successful careers. I am referring to master/doctors of various disciplines all of very wealthy means if not outright millionaires. While these persons are no doubt smart what really distinguishes them was the ability to dedicate large amount of time studying. From my experience to get from a B average to straight A's takes about an additional 25-35% amount of time, which when one does the calculations leaves very little time for other activities. In other words, training our kids into straight A students requires a great deal of dedication of time on their own part which will conflict with other activities. While this will probably most certainly guarantee them a life of financial security and even recognition of excellence among their colleagues what about the consequences? The fact is from my personal experience with close friends, colleagues and acquaintances with this mentality is they basically don't have a personal life. Not only do they have little time for the spouse but much less time for their children, who they inevitably raise as little machines who do the same as their parents. Furthermore, teaching one's children to push themselves to the maximum for material and worldly gains generally makes them arrogant in outlook regarding other persons, which is not a trait you want you kids to have. With all due respect this is not a well rounded education and also has obvious negative implications for society in general like we see back "home".

Therefore, instead of following the herd, learn the Latin "model". Do just enough to make your niche and get home by 6 in order to have time to play with the kids, etc. My own personal model is for my kids to get a decent education and grades and for me to save up enough money so that they can have their own business with a stable, but not exaggerated income. Given the fact that I don't place a great deal of emphasis on material things, my children won't have the burden of consumerism and thus can live with less income. The results are a less stressful more social family life that in reality is the envy of anyone in the West.

Last edited:

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Mauricio, I understand your concern but I think it is a good idea to keep things in perspective. First I realize the convention we were brought up with is to get our kids the maximum amount of quality education in the shortest amount of time possible. I know plenty of examples of people that were raised this way and have very successful careers. I am referring to master/doctors of various disciplines all of very wealthy means if not outright millionaires. While these persons are no doubt smart what really distinguishes them was the ability to dedicate large amount of time studying. From my experience to get from a B average to straight A's takes about an additional 25-35% amount of time, which when one does the calculations leaves very little time for other activities. In other words, training our kids into straight A students requires a great deal of dedication of time on their own part which will conflict with other activities. While this will probably most certainly guarantee them a life of financial security and even recognition of excellence among their colleagues what about the consequences? The fact is from my personal experience with close friends, colleagues and acquaintances with this mentality is they basically don't have a personal life. Not only do they have little time for the spouse but much less time for their children, who they inevitably raise as little machines who do the same as their parents. Furthermore, teaching one's children to push themselves to the maximum for material and worldly gains generally makes them arrogant in outlook regarding other persons, which is not a trait you want you kids to have. With all due respect this is not a well rounded education and also has obvious negative implications for society in general like we see back "home".

Therefore, instead of following the herd, learn the Latin "model". Do just enough to make your niche and get home by 6 in order to have time to play with the kids, etc. My own personal model is for my kids to get a decent education and grades and for me to save up enough money so that they can have their own business with a stable, but not exaggerated income. Given the fact that I don't place a great deal of emphasis on material things, my children won't have the burden of consumerism and thus can live with less income. The results are a less stressful more social family life that in reality is the envy of anyone in the West.

OMG I agree with Chip !! :)

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
My experience with people who, "Don't place a great deal of emphasis on Material Things", don't HAVE MANY!
Raising children to be "POOR" does them a great disservice!
Raise them to be "RICH", and let THEM decide which they want to be!!!!
"Travel" is the best teacher for children that I know of.
"Travel" costs a lot of money, make some!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
I never agree with making excuses for being POOR!
Find some reasons to be "RICH"!
THAT's much easier, not to mention TRUTHFUL!!!!!

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Just to make clear: I am 100% in favor of not rushing children's education. We basically brought him to school so early, because the school is of my parents in law, my wife gives classes and works in the administration and she wanted to get back to work as well as she was needed there. It was convenient at that moment to bring him and let him listen in with the preprimario group, but he has been doing better than the other kids, so now I regret I did send him so early. In an ideal situation my wife wouldn't even work as long as the children are small and only start 'kinder' when they are 4.

Thanks all for the valuable comments and advices!

@merenguedutchie...I'd like to take some self defense classes myself first....what if I have to spank one of them...!

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
My experience with people who, "Don't place a great deal of emphasis on Material Things", don't HAVE MANY!
Raising children to be "POOR" does them a great disservice!
Raise them to be "RICH", and let THEM decide which they want to be!!!!
"Travel" is the best teacher for children that I know of.
"Travel" costs a lot of money, make some!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
I never agree with making excuses for being POOR!
Find some reasons to be "RICH"!
THAT's much easier, not to mention TRUTHFUL!!!!!

I have the opposite experience Criss, I have only heard that from people with means...Dress like a bum, money is overrated, Iwant a simple life, etc... Only heard it from wealthy kids, lol

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Teacher's Kids" are always great students!
Sounds like yours is no exception!
"GREAT"!
You Ain't no "DUMMY" either!
The very fact that you are "A Concerned Parent" speaks VOLUMES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You don't get that much here.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
My son started school early but it did not seem to have a negative effect on him. I actually sent him so he could be around other children instead of being with me all day. I felt he needed a little more "social interaction". I would like to comment on something Chip wrote about an emphasis on material things. While I agree our children should be taught that it is very difficult in this day in age to prevent it. There is so much peer pressure now compared to when I went to school. The newest cell phones, tennis shoes, designer labels, etc.... Is it right, no but it is reality unfortunately.

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
I thought I was a genius when I was a kid, then I thought I was wrong, but I was just mistaken.