Running a Red Light penalties?

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Yes I see and don?t you forget I?m a Dominican born and rise here unlike my friend who is from the UK and does not understand the language well. Bayx

I wonder what your friend would have done if you hadn't been with her to argue on her behalf and get as firm as you could?

Make sure you get their names and badge numbers and post them here on DR1.

I'm happy to make certain people aware of what some cops are doing.

Excellent, Robert. Could begin to make a difference. Could we....er.........extend it to support Senator Guerrero in his anti-narco battle?

Heythere

Feb 24, 2005
AMET Ticket prices have gone up!

Effect October 7 the cost of Red Light, Seat Belt, and Cell phone infractions have gone up to RD$1667.

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
Nothing, that is why they either take your car or your license until you pay.
The only time a got a ticket they did not take my license nor my car but just gave me a ticket and explained to me were to pay. I paid at Banco de Reservas.
What happens if you just let it go?

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
What happens if you just let it go?

When your license expires you wont be allowed to renew it until all outstanding 'multas' are satisfied. They will give you a piece of paper listing all outstanding 'multas' and ask you to take care of them before your license is renewed. In Santo Domingo you'll have to go to 'Obras P?blicas' to get the list of multas, I don't know for the other provinces.

NotLurking

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
When your license expires you wont be allowed to renew it until all outstanding 'multas' are satisfied. They will give you a piece of paper listing all outstanding 'multas' and ask you to take care of them before your license is renewed. In Santo Domingo you'll have to go to 'Obras P?blicas' to get the list of multas, I don't know for the other provinces.

NotLurking

What about the foreigners that show a non DR License? I know if you live here technically you need a DR License to drive, but a lot of foreigners never get a DR License.

morlandg

Feb 20, 2007
red lights

A couple of years ago I was 'done' at the traffic lights is Sosusa. I was given a ticket and told to pay at the ajuntamiento. To get to the office I had to through the building , out the back and clamber through the waste ground and climb up into an office - maybe 18 inches from the ground. There I had to pay for two penalties - running a red light and driving without due care and attention.
I suppose they can slap the second one onto any front-end infringement.
Can't remember how much I was fined but it was something like 800 pesos.
Next day the copper waved and smiled at me as I drove past!

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
..........In Santo Domingo you'll have to go to 'Obras P?blicas' to get the list of multas, I don't know for the other provinces.

NotLurking

Is this the same as what I would call the AMVET building? I paid a seat belt ticket there once. You wait downstairs for an hour or so until someone comes out to "price" your ticket. The gentleman looked at me, looked at the ticket, looked at me again and scribbled the fine on the ticket. If I remember correctly I paid downstairs. Walked up four flights of steps to get the receipt stamped and back downstairs to another window for them to do something else. Time wise it was about three hours of waiting.

Is there anywhere else in Santo Domingo to pay for tickets?

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
Is this the same as what I would call the AMVET building? I paid a seat belt ticket there once. You wait downstairs for an hour or so until someone comes out to "price" your ticket. The gentleman looked at me, looked at the ticket, looked at me again and scribbled the fine on the ticket. If I remember correctly I paid downstairs. Walked up four flights of steps to get the receipt stamped and back downstairs to another window for them to do something else. Time wise it was about three hours of waiting.

Is there anywhere else in Santo Domingo to pay for tickets?

No, 'Obras P?blicas' is where you go in SD to apply for your license the very first time and it is located close to Estadio Quisqueya:

Secretar?a de Estado de Obras P?blicas y Comunicaciones
Av. San Crist?bal Esquina Av.Tiradentes, Santo Domingo, Rep. Dom.

Tel?fono: 809-565-2811
Fax: 809-562-3382

Secretar?a de Estado de Obras P?blicas y Comunicaciones

Where you went to pay your fine was at:
Autoridad Metropolitana de Transporte (AMET)
Av. Expreso V Centenario Esq. San Mart?n

Tel?fono: 809-686-6520
Autoridad Metropolitana de Transporte Terrestre - AMET

And yes AMET, at the address listed above, is the only place to have your 'contravenci?n' (multa) ajudicated.

NotLurking

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
What about the foreigners that show a non DR License? I know if you live here technically you need a DR License to drive, but a lot of foreigners never get a DR License.
Sky, obviously I was addressing the Dominican driver's license NOT any foreign license. I'm not aware of any opportunity available to any foreigner that allows driver's license renewal of an alien license. Thus, anything to do with renewal would not apply to foreign license.

I suppose that at some point in the future anyone that continues to accumulate 'contravenci?nes' on a foreign driver's license will be held accountable. But for now, at least, foreigners (with foreign license) could get away without having to pay.

NotLurking

Bellamona

Sep 18, 2007
I'm glad sold my car in the US

Reading this thread re-affirms my decision to sell my car and not drive in the DR. I heard that you shouldn't hand over your license and/or passport to the police if they stop you - that you should crack the window enough to converse but not to deliver any documents to them. Is this true? Wouldn't that make the situation worse? just curious

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
Reading this thread re-affirms my decision to sell my car and not drive in the DR. I heard that you shouldn't hand over your license and/or passport to the police if they stop you - that you should crack the window enough to converse but not to deliver any documents to them. Is this true? Wouldn't that make the situation worse? just curious

Yes you did very wise, Madame!

One of the beautiful aspects of freedom that we obtain here - getting rid of American car dependency/obsession (that supports and feeds economy and numerous people in auto industry, repair shops, insurance companies, parking garage operators and police tickets - but does nothing good for you except privilege to spend endless hours in heavy traffic stops and empty wallet).

In small Dominican communities everything is within comfortable walking distance: playa, disco, colmado. An occasional motoconcho ride is a fun not necessity.

More and more do I understand that true freedom is ability to live without a car. TO WALK.

If you need something to be delivered - call and they deliver. Give him extra 20 pesos. Gracias!

Sorry, folks from la capital and Santiago! I feel your pain like mine.

Mujermaravilla

Jun 15, 2006
i have a question

last year I got a ticket. I never paid it because I have a licsence from the states and I figure they can't do anything to me. am I right?

A

apostropheman

Is tomorrow national spellcheck day?
No, probably International Market Minsky Moment Day ;).
Will Canadian Thanksgiving suffice? :D:bunny::bunny:

canadian_thanksgiving-1.gif