Rural Starbucks, with fireplace and far from tourists! A gold-mine?

samanasuenos

Bronze
Oct 5, 2005
I just had a FANTASTIC idea! Tell me what you think ....

I was just toying with the idea of opening a Starbucks, complete with Fireplace, near a coffee plantation in the RD, and far from any tourist traffic. I just hate tourists.

What do you think?

A little bit about me, I am currently a nail technician in rural USA who wants to escape a bad marriage, bad hair, mid-life and my teenage spawn. I have been to Punta Cana once and hope that I can make some hot resort worker fall in love with me and help me manage my new business. Please advise.

Seriously, though - could we consider making a stickie up of "Business Ideas that have ALREADY been shot down by dr1."

It should be required reading for anyone proposing a new business such as a Boutique serving genuine Russian Borscht 24/7, a Lexus dealership in Las Terrenas, or a topless dancing club in Boca Chica.

I apologize if it already exists and I didn't see it. (I breath a lot of fumes in the nail salon!)

-- Sam

G

gary short

Are there lots of yuppies in Jarabacoa. If so I'm in for the Starbuckito.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I think

samanasuenos said:

I was just toying with the idea of opening a Starbucks, complete with Fireplace, near a coffee plantation in the RD, and far from any tourist traffic. I just hate tourists.

What do you think?

A little bit about me, I am currently a nail technician in rural USA who wants to escape a bad marriage, bad hair, mid-life and my teenage spawn. I have been to Punta Cana once and hope that I can make some hot resort worker fall in love with me and help me manage my new business. Please advise.

Seriously, though - could we consider making a stickie up of "Business Ideas that have ALREADY been shot down by dr1."

It should be required reading for anyone proposing a new business such as a Boutique serving genuine Russian Borscht 24/7, a Lexus dealership in Las Terrenas, or a topless dancing club in Boca Chica.

I apologize if it already exists and I didn't see it. (I breath a lot of fumes in the nail salon!)

-- Sam

you are a very funny writer and would make a great comedian.

BTW--we had this sticky once but all the people that went to it couldn't read or follow direction so Rob said the hell with it it serves no purpose.

JRR

Dec 9, 2004
Starbucks!

I love your sense of humor! Bad hair, or large hair? I have none! Could use the borsht though...........Can't even find Matzoh ball mix here, let alone matzoh!

JRR

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Talk to Benny Katz in Sosua for his grandma's Matzo Ball recipe!
They may have some sort of a Yucca substitute.
He is also running for Sindico, so make sure you vote for him if you are able to.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Did You Ever Hear Of "Carrying Coals To Newcastle"!?

(You can ask Robert!)
Or: "Selling Sand To An Arab"?(Maybe that should change to:'Selling OIL To An Arab!)

My ever more difficult to make "POINT" is: We already have really great coffee here.You can get it in any home,and it is provided free in many places of business as well.
Can you sell what is already being given away"?

Do not include "You-Know-What" in that catagory!!!;)
cccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
And who's your target market if you don't like tourist? Like cc said they already have great coffee so how many will like the watered down version of coffee. :surprised

If you are serious better do a lot of research.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I am not sure how serious he is about his business plan!

Last edited:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I hear the deafening sound of whooshing! Even the old stalwarts are not immune.:laugh:

JRR

Dec 9, 2004
I think he/she was just kidding!

I think he/she was just kidding........

However, with all the coffe here, it is rare to get decaf for those of us who can't drink the caffiene! May be that's the idea!

JRR

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Iwould hate

to be working for a living as a comedian in front of this crowd. My oh my would TENGO HAMBRE.

DRPAWA

Sep 3, 2004
The OP was quite obviously kidding!!!!

"I have been to Punta Cana once and hope that I can make some hot resort worker fall in love with me and help me manage my new business. Please advise.

These two sentences give it away!!!!!!!

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Sam,

Here is a word of advise.

1. NEVER reveal to people any good "idea" for any type of business you feel might be success. The next time you get an idea, write it down and start doing your own research into how such business might work, what does it take in terms of time, expertise, money, what could be the profit margins, to whom will such business cater to, etc.

Have your eyes and ears open, and your mouth shut! Unless, you want some other whiz person to take your idea or dream and turn it into THEIR success.

2. Your idea is very appealing, although it has some very rough "edges" that needs to be much more "smooth". In other words, it's a nice start but do your homework on your own. Ask people for ideas or suggestion without letting people know your motive or goal because there are people out there that will take your idea and steal your dream in an instant.

Again "Tell the world what you plan to do, but FIRST show it".

3. Critics are a dime a dozen. Everyone has something negative to say towards anything, it's the easiest thing to do. Keep in mind that everything that makes your life better today (computers, cars, packaged food, air travel, electricity, clothing, etc) was at one point a radical idea that most people discarded as wishful thinking. If it was only true!

Today people "fly" to places around the world in a matter of hours, they talk on the phone to people thousands of miles away in real time, they express ideas over the internet to people the world over. Give it some thought and this sounds like an impossibility, except that its true!

Dream big, develop a plan to make your dream come true, put your plan to action, don't let people detract you from your focus, failing should not be an option for you, and with time you will get what you wanted.

Critics are a dime a dozen, but only those who believe in themselves and their goals or dreams, are the one's who succeed. This has been the case for thousands of years, today is no different.

-NALs

samanasuenos said:

What do you think?

-- Sam

Last edited:

amanacer

Dec 29, 2005
Sam,

It might be better to sell Dominican coffee to Starbucks, and even better the one from your own plantation!
btw punta cana? i thought you were samana kind of girl!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
JRR said:
I love your sense of humor! Bad hair, or large hair? I have none! Could use the borsht though...........Can't even find Matzoh ball mix here, let alone matzoh!

JRR

What about poppyseed? Has anyone seen that on sale here?

Pib told me she's planning to make some bagels soon, but she only has sesame seed for the topping.

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
coffee is a bit daft, but i love the idea of a roaring fireplace.

that would be great on one of those cold snowy days we get down here in the dom rep.

JRR

Dec 9, 2004
Popp;y seeds?

Chirimoya said:
What about poppyseed? Has anyone seen that on sale here?

With all the arrests for drugs, you would think poppy seeds would be easy to find!

JRR

billyidol

Banned
Feb 9, 2004
samanasuenos said:

What do you think?

-- Sam

so let me get this straight! you want to open a business and incur all of the expense that goes with it ......minimum 60k!Taking into account 1st year running costs ect! And you want to move to a spot where there are NO tourists. The tourists have the money ! Who then will frequent your business, please keep in mind that the average wage for many dominicans can be around RD 700- 1000peso a week ($20-30us$ weekly)I doubt they would be able to contribute to your bottom line by expending 25% of their bottom line to purchase one of your $5 platana banana latte's
You'd make more money doing the nails, i took my girlfriend at the time to one of the nail salons in peurto plata and you should have seen tha wads of cash they were handling. Women in general are vain but in my opinion the women of the Republic of Dominica take the cake. These women loooooove getting their hair, nails, feet and other areas trimmed painted and scrubbed.....In my opinion dump the idea of selling a chocolate conch decafe and get out your nail file!!!!!!!!!!!!!!