S.O.S Sosua

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
No not quite as right wing as the BNP, but I suppose I would have preponderances towards the right of centre with my political views.

Why do you want me to label a specific nationality? Do you belong to one of them? I really hope it's not French! The people I wouldn't admit into my country would be the ones who don't want to compliment our society and become a burden on it. Those that insist on imposing their moral and religious beliefs on mine. Those that hide under the blanket of racism and repression as a convenient answer to non-compliance with our values and laws.

I agree with you that I cannot claim the moral high ground over a Haitian, just because I come from a rich country. I never did so. But why can't I claim it as a valid law abiding contributor, over a lawless gang of immigrant thugs? Obviously I'm not indicting all Haitians in this country, but it has been recognised to be a problem in this neighbourhood.

Don't worry, I am not French!!

In fact I am from a Yorkshire family that can trace itself back to the dark ages. (No not the 70's, the real dark ages)
I am about as English as you can possibly get.

All immigrants come from another country.
It somewhat defines who they are.
Which countries do the immigrants that you personally disapprove of come from? The ones that are a burden and try to impose their moral and religious beliefs on you. I had nobody trying to impose anything on me in my 30 odd years in the UK. (Apart from onerous taxes and ridiculous drink driving regulations - and fortunately they did not manage to impose these on me in any meaningful way)

Haitians are not as a rule 'a lawless gang of immigrant thugs' in the D.R.
And even if you say that you do not mean all of them - you still seem to think that this is the case for the majority.
That is very sad, not true and, yes, bordering on the discriminatory.

Being a valid (?) law abiding contributor is not a special achievement which needs recognition. That is the very least you should be. So, no, that gives you no moral high ground over Haitians in the D.R.

And all the stuff about non-compliance with our laws and values - Please do not include me in that 'we'.
We obviously have very different values.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
My uncle was visiting me and we spent a night in Sosua just to see the sights the night before we were gonna play some golf. He is a very conservative and religious guy, and I just brought him to see what his reaction was. After twenty minutes, he flipped out and told me never to bring him to a place like this again. I thought it was pretty funny...

You knew what he was like and what he would see so you brought him there anyhow!! Hilarious

Reactions: Tamborista

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
I do get an urge to see it once in a while-it is like the the cantina scene in Star Wars

From now that is how I shall be describing it.
Perfect imagery.
Well put!

LMBO!

And I think the are one or two Chewbaccas I have seen there....

Last edited:

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Don't worry, I am not French!!

In fact I am from a Yorkshire family that can trace itself back to the dark ages. (No not the 70's, the real dark ages)
I am about as English as you can possibly get.

All immigrants come from another country.
It somewhat defines who they are.
Which countries do the immigrants that you personally disapprove of come from? The ones that are a burden and try to impose their moral and religious beliefs on you. I had nobody trying to impose anything on me in my 30 odd years in the UK. (Apart from onerous taxes and ridiculous drink driving regulations - and fortunately they did not manage to impose these on me in any meaningful way)

Haitians are not as a rule 'a lawless gang of immigrant thugs' in the D.R.
And even if you say that you do not mean all of them - you still seem to think that this is the case for the majority.
That is very sad, not true and, yes, bordering on the discriminatory.

Being a valid (?) law abiding contributor is not a special achievement which needs recognition. That is the very least you should be. So, no, that gives you no moral high ground over Haitians in the D.R.

And all the stuff about non-compliance with our laws and values - Please do not include me in that 'we'.
We obviously have very different values.

I'm not going to give you a specific country because I am not that narrow minded.

If you want an example on how immigration has changed the British values I can speak from experience when the primary school that my 10 year old son attends, was not allowed to have a Nativity play for Christmas because it upset the non Christian community. Like I said that is only one example and I do not intend to expand further. If you have been away from England for a while, you might have noticed a difference.

But this is drifting off the thread topic so for fear of getting this thread closed, I will try to address the salient points that you seem to be missing.

The OP was complaining about hookers and Haitian beggars ruining his experience in Sosua.

If the DR was to adopt a stricter immigration policy and enforce it, one of those problems could be controlled.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Well, now you come to mention it, the only unwelcome foistering of ideas upon me in the UK was done by Christians.
That is not cultural, that is religious.

If you want to have a nativity play, have a nativity play, but do it at your church so the rest of society does not have to listen to it.
You will be telling us that natural selection and evolution should be replaced with creationism in you child's school curriculum next.
The nativity is as absurd as creationism but you want one and not the other?

As for your salient points.
What issue would stricter immigration solve??

The place attracts beggars.
Are you seriously suggesting that if you took the Haitian beggars out of the equation, you would not have Dominican beggars replacing them? Nonsense. Problem not solved.
As for hookers - if you do not want to look at them - don't. Simple as that.
Go somewhere else.

And why do you not just tell me which immigrants have upset you?
We are all adults here - you can be honest.
What are you afraid of by mentioning specific nations whence these immigrants hale?

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Bah, you humbug you!

I bet you're upset because you weren't chosen to be one of the wise men when you were a kid at school!

And with your silly ramblings I can see why!

I am not a Sunday school God bothering kind of person either. I accept Christmas as a tradition and something special that brings families and friends together and a season of all round good will. Something that a lot of typical English people also believe in. When things like this are taken away from us, it is understandable why some people can feel resentment.

So as you said in one of your previous posts, you and I do not seem to hold the similar values. Something I am now glad about.

Let's leave it at that now, shall we?

Trig

Aug 20, 2006
I've read the OP's story, and I would like to responed. My first experience in Sosua was completely different than most. For reason's beyond my control, my now ex-wife had to leave the DR before our vacation was over (and no, it wasn't a Sankie!), I was left with my 15 year old daughter along with my 3 year old daughter and my 1 year old son. I was in Sosua with my family for 2 evenings for dinner at Rocky's. After dinner both nights, I took a walk with my family. I feel I need to say that while the "pro's" of Sosua let me know that they were there, I never felt that my family (my kids) were put in any position that was pushy or a place that I would feel that my children were learning more than I wanted!! And I will say that I am an overprotective daddy! I take great pride in that.
My next trip to Sosua as a single man was completely different! Exactly what I was looking for.
I feel you get what your looking for in the beautiful town of Sosua. The girls know better than to cross the lines with family's.
Even after my last trip, I would feel completely comfortable taking my children back to Sosua for another trip!

Reactions: badpiece33

osanhopps

Aug 19, 2007
Okay, this is getting very negative. And we are suppose to be a informational forum. Look realistically, there are going to be prostitutes in the DR. It does not matter where they come from. As long as there are places that accept it. If you do not want to see hookers then stay out of the area or get off the planet. Because, it is in every culture. The NY Governor and a couple of southern Senators prove that! Because our values are conservative western, we look at it with disdain. It is not just one race, because if those people leave the area then someone else will pick it up. And believe it or not, Dominican women only rival Filippinos as the most requested all over the world, I am sorry to say. If you want to do something, then begin to elevate this country so that some of these women (Dominican & Haitian) do not have to live this lifestyle. Because we cannot save everyone. And for those of you who say that they are immigrants. Try working in a sugar field for 18-hours just to feed their families for that day. Then you will know why a lot of them are hookers. Because they can make a hell of a lot more money selling their bodies, then working in a field where they might not even get paid for that work! That is how warped this society is!

No matter what we say, the Dominican Republic is a beautiful country. No country is perfect and if you find one that is, I bet it will have prostitutes there too!

So, you have a job...the means to become a legal immigrant. I guess that you makes yourself better than a haitian person who wants the same thing but does not have the means to get there....

give me a break

Yes having a legal job makes him better than a thief or ladron in the streets without a job.
Nothing against Hatians in the DR, I was having a few drinks next to some Hatians who are attending UTESA or PUCCM just last week in Santiago, I have a problem with little gangs of thugs wandering the streets trying to shake people down.

I've read the OP's story, and I would like to responed. My first experience in Sosua was completely different than most. For reason's beyond my control, my now ex-wife had to leave the DR before our vacation was over (and no, it wasn't a Sankie!), I was left with my 15 year old daughter along with my 3 year old daughter and my 1 year old son. I was in Sosua with my family for 2 evenings for dinner at Rocky's. After dinner both nights, I took a walk with my family. I feel I need to say that while the "pro's" of Sosua let me know that they were there, I never felt that my family (my kids) were put in any position that was pushy or a place that I would feel that my children were learning more than I wanted!! And I will say that I am an overprotective daddy! I take great pride in that.
My next trip to Sosua as a single man was completely different! Exactly what I was looking for.
I feel you get what your looking for in the beautiful town of Sosua. The girls know better than to cross the lines with family's.
Even after my last trip, I would feel completely comfortable taking my children back to Sosua for another trip!

Thats the way the Pros in Sosua are, When I'm with my girlfriend I will go out to Pedro Clisante and noone will bother me but if I go out solo and start exchanging glances or small talk you get what your looking for.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
Yes having a legal job makes him better than a thief or ladron in the streets without a job.
Nothing against Hatians in the DR, I was having a few drinks next to some Hatians who are attending UTESA or PUCCM just last week in Santiago, I have a problem with little gangs of thugs wandering the streets trying to shake people down.

I agree with that. The problem I see here is the generalization of all of these "thugs" are haitian. From the tone of some of the posts of late, one gets the feeling that there are no Haitians with jobs and they are all on the take. I know this not to be true...but people that have not or rarely travelled to the DR may not know this. Creating fear of a people is a dangerous thing...history has shown this.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Bah, you humbug you!

I bet you're upset because you weren't chosen to be one of the wise men when you were a kid at school!

And with your silly ramblings I can see why!

I am not a Sunday school God bothering kind of person either. I accept Christmas as a tradition and something special that brings families and friends together and a season of all round good will. Something that a lot of typical English people also believe in. When things like this are taken away from us, it is understandable why some people can feel resentment.

So as you said in one of your previous posts, you and I do not seem to hold the similar values. Something I am now glad about.

Let's leave it at that now, shall we?

Tradition is good. Yuletide, Easter bunnies - tradition - not religion.
Thankfully people are taking steps to rid schools of this religious insanity.
That should be taken out of the schools and left in the churches.
I do not want my child being told that there is a god and Jesus died for her sins - or that if she does bad stuff she will burn in hell for eternity.

But yes, we can leave that part of the discussion alone.

But again, the immigration policy will help how exactly?

You will have Haitian beggars replaced with Dominican beggars.
You will have have exclusively Dominican hookers.

Problem not solved at all.

osanhopps

Aug 19, 2007
Tradition is good. Yuletide, Easter bunnies - tradition - not religion.
Thankfully people are taking steps to rid schools of this religious insanity.
That should be taken out of the schools and left in the churches.
I do not want my child being told that there is a god and Jesus died for her sins - or that if she does bad stuff she will burn in hell for eternity.

But yes, we can leave that part of the discussion alone.

But again, the immigration policy will help how exactly?

You will have Haitian beggars replaced with Dominican beggars.
You will have have exclusively Dominican hookers.

Problem not solved at all.

Pedro, let this go! You are dealing with a older conservative person who will never see eye to eye with you. He is set in his ways. Please let us all go back to being informative and not negative. Poverty is Poverty no matter what country you are in. And if people do not understand it then they are lost and we can not change them no matter what we say. Best of luck to you!

Viva Dominican Republic!