Sad Dog Story

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Peter.... I ask myself that question all the time.... I HATE

William, you do not have to blame yourself. As I said the chance of it happening, as it happened at your place, is minimal. To be honest, I am surprised the tooth of the mix did not break off. But hey, what can I say, extreme bad luck.

Take the collars of your dogs off when they are on your property. They do not need them, and it will give them a huge advantage against any possible intruders.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I can't get my head around how a dogs tooth can get so entangled it could strangle another dog before being ripped out or snapped, what odd circumstances. Sad story, painful loss.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Yes Peter............ no more collars.... they were not the chain ones for fear of getting caught in the fence.

Our collars have our phone number on them in case the dog gets lost/found.
The jardineros use the collar to grab the dogs.

No more collars... its my wife's way of being "safe".... didn't work --- Backfired

Thanks to you and Hilde.... it was a post of hers that inspired me write my story.

I am not a public person.

As an aside............ we were out looking for a replacement for Nacho- the boy- the day we got the bad news.

We bought the dog..... Ella... she is a boxer/mastiff cross.

Perfect in every way... except she barks at other dogs.

I do not like that here.... but in Cabrera.. I will be happy to have her alert me about people/dogs approaching.
The neighbors?? May not like it.

Thanks again to you both

Bill

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I can't get my head around how a dogs tooth can get so entangled it could strangle another dog before being ripped out or snapped, what odd circumstances. Sad story, painful loss.

These are not "toy dogs" .... big, powerful animals.... 65-70 lbs each..

I agree.... how could they not disentangle themselves?/
Break a tooth rip .........rip the collar off............ anything.

Imagine what a spectacle that was... the two of them trying to get way from each other..

I hate to think....

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
This whole thing reminds of "Murder in the Cathedral"..

"Living and partly living"...

One of the more erudite here will correct me..... I'm sure

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Bill, your story broke my heart, and you have my deepest condolences. I just read it to my husband, and it choked me up.

We had a wonderful boxer named Tyson who became a member of our family - I wasn't raised with dogs, and never understood people who loved their animals - I used to think they were odd. The day Tyson died was very traumatic for all of us, so much so that we've never gotten another dog because it was too painful to lose him. We had him cremated, and planned to scatter his ashes on the beach at our corner, where he loved to run and chase seagulls. Our daughter took his ashes with her when she bought a condo, and 7 years later he's still with her through two moves. Coincidentally, she's finally started thinking that maybe it's time to sprinkle his ashes on the beach, so maybe this is the year that the whole family will get together and set him free. She doesn't have a dog because she thinks it would be disloyal to Tyson, so you get the picture of what he was to us.

Ella sounds lovely, she'll be a big girl and wonderful pal for Salsa! Post a photo when you have the time!

AE

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
AE... thanks.... What a coincidence....BoBo was called Tyson when we got him at 10 months.

We changed it to BoBo.... I have a wonderful breeder near Buffalo if you ever want another boxer..

Ambato Boxers in Ft Erie Ontario... acroos the river from Buffalo NY.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
WW, our Tyson came from Canada, when we bought him we didn't realize the importance of his bloodline until we bought a Boxer book at our pet store and found his sires had a chapter devoted to them under 'international champions'. His grandfather and great-grandfather were world champions of some note - Int. Ch. Scher-Khoun's Shadrack and Abednego. He was a beautiful dog, people would stop my husband all the time when he'd be out walking him. He would have been a fabulous show dog, but to us he was just our house pet. Sad to say we never mated him either.

AE

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
did you mark the grave???i always regretted lateron not being able to find exactly where....

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
As a longtime dog lover, rescuers and foster for many dogs over the years, I am so sorry to hear of your losses. If anything can reduce me to a blubbering idiot, it is the passing of a beloved family companion. Evolution has not been kind to us people as dogs have learned to communicate with us humans by making eye contact the way they do.

Collars are a tool to achieve an end. For the most part they are intended to be an attachment point when we need to walk our pets in public or restrain them temporarily in a location. Over time, collars have also become an identification tool.

Most flea & tick collars are constructed of materials that will break if sufficient pulling force is applied. Some F&T collars are designed to loosen before breaking. The other types of collars with clasps, fabric, metal choke chains etc are designed not to break. These are intended for restraint and in the case of choke chains for training purposes. I am a firm believer in identifying one's pets. During the day when my the dogs have free access to the outdoors, my dogs wear collars with tags just in case they knock down the fence and go on the lamb. With tags indicating a reward (en espa?ol) for their return and a phone number, the chances of getting them back is increased.

Dogs who are in the house and not running loose about the property should probably not be wearing a restraining collar. Bed time or after the last outing for the night is a good time to remove these. Most retraining collars are size adjustable and each dog should have a collar that can be adjusted to several sizes larger than needed. When the collars are being used as an attachment for identification dog tags only, at great inconvenience to myself, I used to adjust the size of the collar so that I can easily slip three fingers (one on top of the other) between the neck and the collar. In most cases this is enough space to allow the dog to pull its head out of the collar but not quite enough slack to allow the collar to come flying off every time the dogs shakes or scratches itself. Although I have on occasion had to wander the yard looking for a collar without an attached dog.

Obviously when intentionally restraining a dog, the collar need to be adjusted so that it cannot be sloughed off. I have grown weary of constantly adjusting collar size so I now employ different collars for each dog based on the intended use. Much less size adjusting going on these days.

Dogs respond to collars. They clearly delineate daytime activities from nighttime quiet time. They are an excellent means of identifying your dog(s) and a very effective training correction tool. Neck collars are not the be all end all solution though. For dogs that have already learned to walk properly on a leash, consider a harness. This give the walker much more control over a dog that decides it's time to take off after that cat down the street.

Just remember to take restraining collars off when they are not needed or you are not around. There is no real need for a collar when a dog is confined inside a house. At other times, as long as there is a person around and the collars are loose enough, it shouldn't be a problem to employ them. But at no time when there is no supervision should your dog or your child be wearing a nonbreakable restraining collar.

So please identify your pets with a collar and a tag when they are outside.. Please restrain your dog when needed but also recognize that a collar is not an item that is attached at birth and then never removed. While not perfect, collars remain a useful tool and like any tool are intended for a set of specific purposes and need to be used in a way that provides the greatest advantage for your pet and its owner. Collars are not perfect and can be a hazard if not used judiciously.

Again, condolences, William. In time, please considered offering another companion a forever home, there are so many that need one.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I just noticed the dates. I must have become confused with the other dog thread underway.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
As an update--

we still have Ella.... must be 10 by now --- no birth date ever found for her

Salsa - about a year ago went blind over the weekend... I wasn't here
but returned a day later

It is a Shepherd problem - I read

I kept her going for a week or so - hoping she knew her way

Bumped into walls - tripped on stairs.....sad

Put her down

She's beside her bother and Bo Bo... guarding the gate

Don't get me started on the cats.... lots of dead ones

Life goes on.....w/ difficulty at times !!!