Safest Vehicle for DR

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
we bought for cash, direct bank transfer, to be precise. done within half an hour. the car was already insured and the policy stayed with the car, it was simply transferred to us. to complete sale paperwork takes time, it's enough for you to revise the insurance.

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
a Toyota 4Runner maybe?

in the US I have an old Honda CR-V (1998 model) which is great on gas and on the roads but as far as being the safest car on the road I have my doubts. Here in the DR I have a 2001 Toyota Hilux Surf which is the Japanese market 4Runner plus it's a 4-cyl 3.0L turbodiesel. 4x4 available on the fly and 16" tires makes it a bit of a beast but it's made on the same frame as the more expensive Prado. I feel infinitely more safe in this Jepetta than I would in a small car given the craziness of DR drivers.

The down side? it's a right hand to left hand drive conversion so some of the gear shift control labels face the passenger side which is wierd.....but overall I've not had any problems since I bought the car 3-4 years ago and as others have said - it's a Toyota, easy to find parts and easy to find mechanics who know the car.