Safety in The DR

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
To be honest, based on all what I have seen and heard during the years, I am a bit confused that you say the above and then say that you're half Dominican. Based on all what I've seen, there are certainly dangerous barrios out there as well, but there are also very good ones. Everyone from my wife's family live in "barrios" as you state, and a fact is, I feel safer there than in some (not all) residenciales. My wife's sister's house main door is often left open (they are 5 people + the friends from their kids) and I have not heard a single thing that would have vanished from that house. We have lived in an apartment on their complex and also without any issues. So instead of saying that "barrios" are crime scenes and "middle-class" areas safe, my opinion is to go by location as such. There are good residenciales and then there are bad ones... We used to live in a very good residencial in POP, I certainly felt safe there, so the point is that generalization is difficult...
Absolutely, I live next to one of the poorest barrios in Jarabacoa, half Haitian and half Dominican. I feel perfectly safe in the daytime and reasonable safe at night. Almost everybody recognizes me and my connection with the community. My own street is populated by a mixture of poor or middle class, and commercial small businesses. rarely any crime of any kind.

Sloan

Banned
May 4, 2023
Miami
The level of concern for personal safety in the Dominican Republic is directly related to where I am in the Dominican Republic.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
The level of concern for personal safety in the Dominican Republic is directly related to where I am in the Dominican Republic.
Yes, many members here on DR1 have commented on the safety in SDE. A former (now banned) member here was very concerned about crossing the bridge over into SDE. Isn't your current location Thailand/Miami though?

Reactions: JD Jones

Sloan

Banned
May 4, 2023
Miami
I do not feel safe in any part of the Dominican Republic. Although I have not been a victim of violent crime I have been a victim of petty theft.

Sloan

Banned
May 4, 2023
Miami
Safe to me means not having to keep my head on a swivel. Safe means being about to move about as I choose at anytime of the day or night without fear of violence. Especially on foot. My preferred method of transport. I have spend enough years in danger. Comfort and no worries are my main priority now. The only time I ever feel safe is when the plane I am on is wheels up from STI or SDQ.

Sloan

Banned
May 4, 2023
Miami
Not sure I agree with you. Safety is not absolute. It is relative. I would never choose to be out on foot anyplace in the Dominican Republic from between 0200 - 0400. There are many places in the world for me where I can do that without worries.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Yes, many members here on DR1 have commented on the safety in SDE. A former (now banned) member here was very concerned about crossing the bridge over into SDE. Isn't your current location Thailand/Miami though?
Lived in SDE for one year back in 2014 near Charle y Mendoza. I never had any issues but I do have a few stories to tell. I also lived on DN. side back in 2012 in Cristo Rey (hence the handle) again, I never had any issues but I do have a few stories to tell.
Safety in the DR boils down to how you carry yourself and how you deal with other people...
all the while avoiding the obvious.

Reactions: Auryn

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Lived in SDE for one year back in 2014 near Charle y Mendoza. I never had any issues but I do have a few stories to tell. I also lived on DN. side back in 2012 in Cristo Rey (hence the handle) again, I never had any issues but I do have a few stories to tell.
Safety in the DR boils down to how you carry yourself and how you deal with other people...
all the while avoiding the obvious.
Charlie and Mendoza. Invivienda. Talk about hot spots.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Not sure I agree with you. Safety is not absolute. It is relative. I would never choose to be out on foot anyplace in the Dominican Republic from between 0200 - 0400. There are many places in the world for me where I can do that without worries.

Can I just ask, why do you have any connection with the DR then? I've lived there 14 years now and I've never had a problem with being attacked. I would feel far less safe on the streets of London or New York than I would on the streets of Santo Domingo, because I have seen way more muggings in London and New York than I have seen in Santo Domingo. In the center of London right now there are speakers telling people to put their phones out of sight, there are announcements in stores saying that they have pickpockets operating in the stores and stealing phones, there are huge signs on the sidewalk saying "High risk of theft in this area". None of that in Santo Domingo.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Can I just ask, why do you have any connection with the DR then? I've lived there 14 years now and I've never had a problem with being attacked. I would feel far less safe on the streets of London or New York than I would on the streets of Santo Domingo, because I have seen way more muggings in London and New York than I have seen in Santo Domingo. In the center of London right now there are speakers telling people to put their phones out of sight, there are announcements in stores saying that they have pickpockets operating in the stores and stealing phones, there are huge signs on the sidewalk saying "High risk of theft in this area". None of that in Santo Domingo.
Sloan/Vegas is banned (again). He will not be responding. I do agree with you about Santo Domingo in general. However, there are areas which I would not travel through. But in all the years we have lived in Santo Domingo we have never really had any major issues. Of course, we are not out after around 9p unless we are attending a function, etc...

FF1

Dec 17, 2022
DR
This may sound strange to some but I think Sosua is probably the safest place in DR (apart from the gated communities). There is always a lot of cops around (PN, PoliTur, Dicrim, DNCD...) and all the motochoncos and deliveries and putas are their informants and they know exactly who's who and who is new in town and who does what. Sometimes when I can't sleep I walk on Pedro Clisante at 2, 3, 4 am and never had a problem. I actually enjoy it because aside from the few bums who are always around I'm the only one on the street and it's very peaceful. Also all the bars and restaurants have cameras too so if anything was to happen wouldn't take PN long to figure out who it was.

Reactions: Billp16

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
This may sound strange to some but I think Sosua is probably the safest place in DR (apart from the gated communities). There is always a lot of cops around (PN, PoliTur, Dicrim, DNCD agents...) and all the motochoncos and deliveries and putas are their informants and they know exactly who's who and who is new in town and who does what. Sometimes when I can't sleep I walk on Pedro Clisante at 2, 3, 4 am and never had a problem. I actually enjoy it because aside from the few bums who are always around I'm the only one on the street and it's very peaceful. Also all the bars and restaurants have cameras too so if anything was to happen wouldn't take PN long to figure out who it was.
It seems Sosua Abajo and La Unión were not included in this advanced demographic study. I am by no means a fan of the above poster who was recently banned, again; however I agree that nothing good happens during the witching hours from 1 to 5am. Regardless if Dingo, Clisante, external cities etc

Reactions: MariaRubia

FF1

Dec 17, 2022
DR
It seems Sosua Abajo and La Unión were not included in this advanced demographic study. I am by no means a fan of the above poster who was recently banned, again; however I agree that nothing good happens during the witching hours from 1 to 5am. Regardless if Dingo, Clisante, external cities etc
I wouldn't know about that I don't go to Sosua Abajo, La Union, Charamicos, have no reason to go there. I'm talking about "downtown" Sosua. Never had a problem, be it 2 pm or 2 am.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I wouldn't know about that I don't go to Sosua Abajo, La Union, Charamicos, have no reason to go there. I'm talking about "downtown" Sosua. Never had a problem, be it 2 pm or 2 am.
I stayed in Charamicos Tuesday night with friends. We were out until about 1am in the neighborhood. Zero problems other than the PN asking us for money, which we declined.

Reactions: FF1