San Cristobal

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Talldrink said:
Mirador - who said it Sancri was supposed to be a tourist attraction?
Well,

He never posted that it was a tourist attraction, just an attaction. Wonder what's that? He he he:cheeky:

Mirador said:
IMHO, I find San Cristobal lacking any reedemable qualities as a tourist attaction...

-NALs

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
Joel,

Thanks for all of the info. I really want to see it now regardless of seeing my friend! ha

Thanks again.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
The first major city west of Santo Domingo, San Cristobal is considered by many as a small version of the capital. The city of 170,000 thrives on its sugar cane mills and herb fields. Its arid ground and mountain background serve as a gateway to the wild west. Just south of San Cristobal is the village of Nigua where 16th-century and 18th-century ruins of sugar mills can be explored.

For a more Indiana Jones-like experience, head north from San Cristobal. The Cuevas de Borbon is a series of 40 connecting caves including the Cuevas de El Pomier, a particular section that has more than 5,000 petroglyphs and several thousand Amerindian wall paintings. Bring a flashlight to spot the thousands of bats that make the cave their home.

Got this from:
http://www.godominicanrepublic.com/...Regions/SouthWestCoast/cristobal_en.xml&Lang=

sallad

Sep 15, 2006
Coming to work as volunteer coach (football) in June next year whats it like in san cristobal?

TimH

Aug 4, 2004
www.guesthouse-jarabacoa.com
Well, I used to stay various times nearby San Cristobal in Playa Najao (where there are still remains of one of Trujillo's beach houses). No pretty beach there but the typical dominican atmosphere and the lack of gringos make it always a fun trip. If you need a place to stay there ask for Mireya (everybody knows her)-she has a nice mansion with pool and a beautiful tropical garden all around and rents out the whole upper floor for a reasonable price. She is also a great cook. Fresh fish and other sea-food en masse ! Just, please behave !

Give her my regards.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
The first major city west of Santo Domingo, San Cristobal is considered by many as a small version of the capital. The city of 170,000 thrives on its sugar cane mills and herb fields. Its arid ground and mountain background serve as a gateway to the wild west. Just south of San Cristobal is the village of Nigua where 16th-century and 18th-century ruins of sugar mills can be explored.

For a more Indiana Jones-like experience, head north from San Cristobal. The Cuevas de Borbon is a series of 40 connecting caves including the Cuevas de El Pomier, a particular section that has more than 5,000 petroglyphs and several thousand Amerindian wall paintings. Bring a flashlight to spot the thousands of bats that make the cave their home.

Got this from:
San Cristobal Tourism - Dominican Republic - Official Site - Southwest Coast Region
The city is slightly bigger than that according to the 2002 census.

220,767 residents within the municipio and 532,880 residents in the entire province. That makes San Cristobal province the fourth most populous province in the DR after Santo Domingo, the Distrito Nacional, and the province of Santiago.

The economy of the province sits on three pillars: industry, small scale agriculture, and import/export through the Haina port which is shared with the province of Santo Domingo.

It's also a major domestic tourist destination, although its not popular with international tourists.

San Cristobal

-NALs

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
well...

san cristobal is still a pretty busy ciy in the island....not exactly a tourist spot, but even so, there is still plenty to be done. i think personally it has a good night life, but then again it is not the capital.....sheesh

Sep 20, 2003
I really like San Cristobal. It is not a touristy place, but that is what I like about it. I visit the city because of its place in history.

I think that Trujillo's old house should be restored and opened as a museum. I don't think that many foreign tourists will be travelling to SC to see the place, but perhaps Dominicans will. The veranda at the mahoghany house is where Galindez came face to face with Trujillo. Galindez's abduction changed the country's history. I think it should be preserved.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
... The veranda at the mahoghany house is where Galindez came face to face with Trujillo. Galindez's abduction changed the country's history. I think it should be preserved.

So true. The Galindez abduction from a NY city street and assassination in the mahogany house (Casa de Caoba) was a watershed event in the country's history. Trujillo was framed on this one. He was unaware that Galindez was on the CIA payroll, and his closest security associate, General Espaillat (aka Navajita), kept him in the blind on this one, in order to incite the ire of the US goverment and provoke Trujillo's downfall, as he plotted with a group of Santiago businessmen to put an end to the regime...

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
wow

I really like San Cristobal. It is not a touristy place, but that is what I like about it. I visit the city because of its place in history.

I think that Trujillo's old house should be restored and opened as a museum. I don't think that many foreign tourists will be travelling to SC to see the place, but perhaps Dominicans will. The veranda at the mahoghany house is where Galindez came face to face with Trujillo. Galindez's abduction changed the country's history. I think it should be preserved.

I havent had a chance to visit the old house but I will make it a point to see it my Xmas vacation coming up! :chinese:

Sep 20, 2003
Imaginary History

So true. The Galindez abduction from a NY city street and assassination in the mahogany house (Casa de Caoba) was a watershed event in the country's history. Trujillo was framed on this one. He was unaware that Galindez was on the CIA payroll, and his closest security associate, General Espaillat (aka Navajita), kept him in the blind on this one, in order to incite the ire of the US goverment and provoke Trujillo's downfall, as he plotted with a group of Santiago businessmen to put an end to the regime...

Mirador.

Have you no shame?

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
La Casa de Caoba

Mirador.

Have you no shame?

Shame of what? I got "mahoghany" spelled right, didn't I?

... and, anyway, history is not science, it's a matter of opinion... and I happen to be privy to a lot of facts not found in the recognized written history.

Sep 20, 2003
The world according to Mirador.

Mirador, you've not been privy to anything.

Do you enjoy spreading false information about Dominican history? Are trying to turn this thread into another trainwreck?

Why don't you name your sources? Are they the same sources that told you about Ramfis Trujillo? Are they the same sources that told you about Rubirosa's "murder"?

Did you also know General Espaillat when you were a child?

CG4522

Dec 19, 2006
I actually lived in Yaguate and went to San Cristobal at least once a week. There isn't a whole lot I think tourists would be interested in, the Cathedral was built by Trujillo and is somewhat interesting, up on the hill is another one of Trujillo's mansions, it is 5 stories tall and overlooks the city. The military have a few guards but if you pay them 500 pesos to help with upkeep you can go inside and look. It is pretty big, and is very much a "haunted mansion" type atmosphere. There are even bats in this abandoned place.

Another intersting things to see is the beach at Palenque, it is probably the best beach in the area but probably not that great compared to the east and north. Around there are a few hotels I think. If you want to get off the beaten path and see something really cool, I suggest you talk to the locals and past Yaguate by the river Nizo I think, up that river is a dam but the river is perfectly clear and great for swimming in some parts. There is also an amazing waterfall where a small river passes through two giant rocks where the Voodoos have a little alter in the rocks. I forgot what exactly they call it, but it is probably one of the most amazing things I have seen down there. I actually went with some of my Dominican friends, they road a bike and I road on the back of an old motoconcho up the sometimes dirt road. There isn't even a road to get to the waterfall, but if you ask around enough I think you can find it. Actually once we were done we tried to walk back the 5 minute walk a different way than the path we went in on and ended up going around in circles in the jungle for a couple hours.

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
hey there

I actually lived in Yaguate and went to San Cristobal at least once a week..

i know this post is OLD but still. i just got back from DR early in JAN. my wife and her family live in Najayo al Medio so it is next to Yaguate. I know the area fairly well, lots has changed with the new construction going on. What do you do for a living if you dont mind me asking? First time I hear of a DR1 head in a really small town i am familiar with!

Jaime :cheeky:

cuas

May 29, 2006
JRF - There is Hotel San Cristobal and there's also another one by El Parke Piedra Viva (I forget the name - I think is Napoleon) Anyway, there are plenty of Caba?as on either highway you take (the old route and also Highway 27 de Febrero) and thats what people use most of time when stopping over in Sancri.

There is also a resort-type place with villas in between the beaches of Najayo and Palenque.

Have fun in my wonderful little town of San Cristobal!!

PS: You can go to sancrienbonche.com to learn more about Sancri too...

Sancrienbonche.com is not working. Is there another way. I am trying to locate somebody in San Cristobal

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Right now Sancrienbonche is down - they is doing updates to the site. Wanna send me a PM - I just came back from San Cristobal myself - maybe I know the person!

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
Hey

Right now Sancrienbonche is down - they is doing updates to the site. Wanna send me a PM - I just came back from San Cristobal myself - maybe I know the person!

saw your pics at some party or gathering posted on DR1, saludos desde NYC! i'll be in san cristobal/yaguate later on in september!

Jaime :pirate: