Santiago 2022: Crime Increasing?

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
Where someone is from it’s a subject to interpretation, are we from where we grew up or we from here where we at or is it where you going , or even better where your parents roots are from , or if you wanted get historically where your ancestor where taken in slavery by the European conquerors….

BUT the short answer to your question is YONKERS , USA 🇺🇸

Except that I did not ask where are you from but interesting that this is how you interpreted it.

I specifically asked “ where in the states”

Thank you for your service and good luck on your move back to DR.

Reactions: rey

Big

Apr 24, 2019
I attempted to live ; failed attempt

I thought I could do it with $1000 a month BUT failed ; had to retreat and stand down …
1000 a month, you can't be serious

rey

Jan 2, 2007
Except that I did not ask where are you from but interesting that this is how you interpreted it.

I specifically asked “ where in the states”

Thank you for your service and good luck on your move back to DR.
Thank You sir

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I know big ; it was too little amount , right ?

I learn my lesson , $2000 will cut it thought ( I think )

It all depends where in the DR, and how you want to live.

Just for essentials, you can get by on 1k$, for sure. People rent houses in the campo for as little as 4k pesos a month. Decent houses, i guess. Not that I would want to live in them.

As for leisures, to each their own. I have not come across any decent ( $ to quality ratio) anywhere here in the DR ....... so i dont eat out--- unless you count small joints to nourish myself when away from home.
I dont do chicas, i am happily married, thank you very much.
The rare times I " party", i do it locally in my campo. Will set you back a whopping 2k pesos for food and drink, if that.

Rent aside ( as i dont rent ), I could EASILY live a decent life in the DR with 1k$. I would have to use public transport for everything though, as you wont run a car with that budget.
Would I want to ? No.
Could I ? Yup.
Can I ? Yes, but only knowing that I have access to more than that 1k$ --if u see what i mean. Each persons tolerance to security, money wise, is different, I would assume.

rey

Jan 2, 2007
It all depends where in the DR, and how you want to live.

Just for essentials, you can get by on 1k$, for sure. People rent houses in the campo for as little as 4k pesos a month. Decent houses, i guess. Not that I would want to live in them.

As for leisures, to each their own. I have not come across any decent ( $ to quality ratio) anywhere here in the DR ....... so i dont eat out--- unless you count small joints to nourish myself when away from home.
I dont do chicas, i am happily married, thank you very much.
The rare times I " party", i do it locally in my campo. Will set you back a whopping 2k pesos for food and drink, if that.

Rent aside ( as i dont rent ), I could EASILY live a decent life in the DR with 1k$. I would have to use public transport for everything though, as you wont run a car with that budget.
Would I want to ? No.
Could I ? Yup.
Can I ? Yes, but only knowing that I have access to more than that 1k$ --if u see what i mean. Each persons tolerance to security, money wise, is different, I would assume.
Thank you , can you talk about a little more about diferencies between CAMPOs and cities like santiago and Santo Domingo as far as crime rate , security , safety ….

Thank you sir

malko

Jan 12, 2013
Thank you , can you talk about a little more about diferencies between CAMPOs and cities like santiago and Santo Domingo as far as crime rate , security , safety ….

Thank you sir

I couldn't really say...... no idea how it is in the cites. You couldn't pay me to live in Santo Domingo, Santiago, Puerto Plata, etc .....🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

rey

Jan 2, 2007
I couldn't really say...... no idea how it is in the cites. You couldn't pay me to live in Santo Domingo, Santiago, Puerto Plata, etc .....🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Well let me ask you like this then ;

Have you experience or seen crime on your CAMPO ? And by the way how much of a campo we taking about ? I mean is it a jungle or is it a campo with NO avenues or is it a campo with NO banks or it just like a FARM

I NEVER being to a campo , so I imagine it’s like a “ FARM “

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
I know big ; it was too little amount , right ?

I learn my lesson , $2000 will cut it thought ( I think )
About 10 years ago , a Florida FINANCE Guy , who was very good at his Job , told us the sweet spot was around $1700 a month to "live like an American in the DR , not like a Dominican" . because its almost impossible for an American to Adapt to living like a Dominican..
This included Health Insurance , and Internet Cable , Electricity , Cell phone etc .. in addition to the Obvious Food and Place to live .
I imagine today its more like $2200- 2500 + ? to .. but i have no solid facts to back that up .

From your experience how much WERE you spending Month ? IMO, you should have kept a Log Book of some kind .

And as to Campo living, its not going to work for you, besides being bored out of your Mind , the Mosquitos at night , the lack of running water, and lack of hot water, Sporadic Electricity .. those alone will drive you mad . never mind the fact that you need neighbors who will watch our for you and your belongings .
just my .02. .

malko

Jan 12, 2013
Well let me ask you like this then ;

Have you experience or seen crime on your CAMPO ? And by the way how much of a campo we taking about ? I mean is it a jungle or is it a campo with NO avenues or is it a campo with NO banks or it just like a FARM

I NEVER being to a campo , so I imagine it’s like a “ FARM “

Campos are rural villages. I guess ?

I live outside of the village, nothing except a cabaret/bar and a colmado.
The nearby village has banks, small supermarkets ( kind of ), a petrol station, a gas station, a hospital, a police station, a fire station, etc. . everything essential, albeit on a smaller scale.

My feeling is there is hardly any "petty" crime. A bit but not much. Everybody knows who is who. Much less than back in europe, IMO.
And people are still decent and will help/intervene.

You hear of crimes, from time to time, ie, murders, atracos and such, but nothing crazy.

People are much more passive in the DR, I find. They shout and posture a lot, but thats all. I hardly ever see a fist fight here. ..... and when I do they are drunk af 🤣🤣🤣.

rey

Jan 2, 2007
Campos are rural villages. I guess ?

I live outside of the village, nothing except a cabaret/bar and a colmado.
The nearby village has banks, small supermarkets ( kind of ), a petrol station, a gas station, a hospital, a police station, a fire station, etc. . everything essential, albeit on a smaller scale.

My feeling is there is hardly any "petty" crime. A bit but not much. Everybody knows who is who. Much less than back in europe, IMO.
And people are still decent and will help/intervene.

You hear of crimes, from time to time, ie, murders, atracos and such, but nothing crazy.

People are much more passive in the DR, I find. They shout and posture a lot, but thats all. I hardly ever see a fist fight here. ..... and when I do they are drunk af 🤣🤣🤣.
Thanks , great answer , great insight

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Rey
Stay away from tourist zones.... tghat's where the trouble can be

Rural/campos are typically better - IMO...... everybody knows everybody...

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Where someone is from it’s a subject to interpretation, are we from where we grew up or we from here where we at or is it where you going , or even better where your parents roots are from , or if you wanted get historically where your ancestor where taken in slavery by the European conquerors….

BUT the short answer to your question is YONKERS , USA 🇺🇸
And a Latino, I'm guessing?

I had a ton of Latino friends during my 4 years of service.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I lived in the campo 30 minutes south of Nagua in El Pozo for about 5 months back in 2012. Back then electricity was 4 or 5 hrs a day. Water was delivered by truck and the mosquitos would eat you alive after a good rain as we were in the heart of rice country. Fantastic neighborhood with down to earth people and zero crime but after catching dengue, I'll stick to the city.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
No doubt.
All that fear mongering keeping schools closed helped to create a whole new class of ninis. PN have killed several kids aged 16, 17 years old this year. A lot of people I know are not happy about it. Sadly these kids are part of a much bigger problem this country is now facing. I told yall this would be the outcome, called a spade a spade back summer of 2020 and I was spot on.
Damn CRey...

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Damn CRey...

Considering the government offers some educational options most of this is still on the young people themselves. The government should, of course, have more educational options than they do. Very hard for parents to control out of control teens or young adults.

Reactions: CristoRey

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Considering the government offers some educational options most of this is still on the young people themselves. The government should, of course, have more educational options than they do. Very hard for parents to control out of control teens or young adults.
Good point.
The reason I continue posting about the ninis is people need to be aware of this issue. 32% is basically one third of the population age 15 to 24. That is a recipe for a sh*t ton of street crime.

Reactions: bob saunders

Big

Apr 24, 2019
laziness, lack of ambition and "I just want to get by" is epidemic. Not just here! Playing video games and watching tiktoc all day is no different than passing out drunk under a tree.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
laziness, lack of ambition and "I just want to get by" is epidemic. Not just here! Playing video games and watching tiktoc all day is no different than passing out drunk under a tree.
I can tell you've not spent much time around young kids from inner city barrios.
Yes some of what you mentioned does apply however there is a lot more at play than someone just being lazy.
Band-aids work well for cuts and bruises not gun shots.