Santiago is having typhoid fever!

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
The case with DR is Santiago has BIG sanitation Issues and those that are in charge of keeping the city clean(and are collecting feeds to do the job.) pretend that when it rains that the sewer system is working. The systems that been replaced are not being enlarge, and no where is there any improvement more necessary than in sewer system the system and health department is build for a smaller population for argument say let say 1/2 Million, and I think I am being generous. Rainwater get into the same system and there is your problem. My house is fully screened I don't have a pest problem, but most citizens don't like to have to maintain these screen. My maid is quite efficient thank you very much. Even if I did not have a maid my household can be maintain by one person staying on top of the work on a daily basis, I am older not mentally or physically handicap..

Yes Maria you are right, Santiago city drain sistem is no woking properly, I agreed with you this is a big problem for the citizens, many people are getting sick. tow of my three doughter must be hospitalized at a very spency hospital. One for typhoid fever and the other one for denge fever. Every day I had to drive over the human waste floodind steets on my way home, by " Hormigones Industriales " at the end of the pricipal av. in la Villa Olimpica, same problem had been there for years and the city never fix it.
Some time my car was so stinky that it was necesary to rise the tires before to drive it into the garage.

JJ.

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
Thanks for the heads up Maria. Chicken Little or not every now and then a heads up to those of us who travel and spend alot of time in the barrios with the so called putas and chopos of Santiago need a reminder to always be aware of what we eat and drink.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
We all realize that a typhoid fever outbreak could be a serious issue, but given that this is coming from the chicken little of DR1, we all take it with a huge grain of salt. ;)

I prefer to take it with a very cold presidente, some fritos and real sausage. :) BTW, does anybody know if they have good criollo sausage here in Santiago?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I'm always amazed when folks from the First World move to the Third World, and expect everything to be like in the First World...

"Well, back home we used to...":cheeky:

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
I'm always amazed when folks from the First World move to the Third World, and expect everything to be like in the First World...

"Well, back home we used to...":cheeky:

Good point Cobraboy, they moved to the DR from the U.S. Canada and the UK, and they expect the DR to be like those countries.

And when things don't go the way they were dreaming, they start trashing the DR.

travellor1

Apr 14, 2008
Maria:
I thank you very much for the info because it's not on the CDC.gov/travel website.
There is a group of 10 of us going to Sosua in late August and because of your concern I'll be able to alert them to take the medicine.
We're coming to help a school not become ill and be a burden instead.
Blessings,

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Maria:
I thank you very much for the info because it's not on the CDC.gov/travel website.
There is a group of 10 of us going to Sosua in late August and because of your concern I'll be able to alert them to take the medicine.
We're coming to help a school not become ill and be a burden instead.
Blessings,

FYI, Sosua is nowhere near Santiago if that is of concern to you.

Jan 5, 2006
C'mon people! Stop validating this exagerated post. The general population in Santiago is not in danger of extinction. The OP knows 3 people that got sick and needed to be hospitalized. This is not an emergency situation or an epidemic of catastrophic proportions by any stretch of the imagination. The average healthy person living in, or visiting Santiago has nothing to worry about.

Lucille

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
Maria ...What part of Santiago do you live? because I think there are 2 Santiagos, the one that you always talk about it and the one that I know...thank you...

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
I just reread the OP and all Maria is saying is be careful. I did not read about people falling dead in the middle of the street or of any epidemic. This is a board about the DR and that is what she is writing about. Something going on in her hood. Hopefully it stays there.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Jumbo:

Please do a search of the threads Maria has authored...nuttin' but doom and gloom. I am waiting for her post on The Santiago Nuclear plant leak.

tambo'

mariaobetsanov

Jan 2, 2002
Why are you saying that Santiago de Los Caballeros is clean each rainfall brings sewage to the street. There are section of town that repairs are on hold for years, the system been dumping onto the street and people walk and drive over raw sewage. Those responsible for repairs been sitting under a tree in the shade instead of doing their job. Some areas in good neighbourhood even La Trinitaria the laundry rooms in the big skyscrapers dump wash water onto the street. Go byClinica Corominas, Clinica Bonilla and look at the sewer on the Conner were waste water from homes is entering the drain.

mariaobetsanov

Jan 2, 2002
I am not saying that citizens are dying in the street, those that can afford the Clinicas will always be able to get great medical help. The symptoms take three weeks after the first exposure. This country will never tell when any communicable disease outbreak is affecting an area. The area by the airport in Santiago is that one affected. My parents, brother their housekeeper her daughter. One of the Clinica in Licey has several patients. Check out with other since this is spread by fies, and can be spread by hand contact. we need to wash our hands constantly after using the rest room. The bacteria is in stool and urine.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Maria ...What part of Santiago do you live? because I think there are 2 Santiagos, the one that you always talk about it and the one that I know...thank you...

Yes you are correct, there are two Santiago:
1- " Los cerros de Gurabo Tercero " where people have big houses that I'd never seem here in the US. The most Expensive cars and some time you can see helicopters parked in the front yard.
2- " El barrio La Mosca de Cien fuegos " where you can see the childrend collecting some food in the dunk site of the city.

JJ.