Santiago news

joseinoa

Jan 20, 2005
thanks for the info Hillbilly ill look for those 2 places next time im down there, its sad that some businesses that have been open so many years have to close down but i think the safety of the people in the long run is much more important than the disco owners filling their pockets with money.

Jan 5, 2006
... its sad that some businesses that have been open so many years have to close down but i think the safety of the people in the long run is much more important than the disco owners filling their pockets with money.
Again, making businesses close at midnight does nothing to reduce crime rate or create any more safety. The reason that crime is down and the streets are safer is because the police and military are actually patrolling the streets and creating a precense against crime. When the cat's away, the mice will play! ;)

suzannel

Jun 7, 2006
Increased patrols?

Have patrols only been increased in the big cities?
What about Sosua, Cabarete and Puerto Plata areas? I was reading about the break-in and subsequent murder in Sosua and I am concerned about our safety.

joseinoa

Jan 20, 2005
very, very true hipocrito. but the liquor curfew does help also because you dont have as many drunk people driving at wee hours of the morning, now tell me how many deaths the past 5 years have been because of drunk drivers, the number is truly incredible.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
I was in Santiago last evening and had a taste of nightlife. I was taken to the monument (been there several times in the day but never at night) it was beautiful under a full moon. Lots of cars, lots of vendors walking around with blue coolers. No problems and very little noise.

Later we went to Montezumas for a drink, some food and some dancing. The place was 2/3 full. I am not sure what it was like before curfew but seemed good last night. There was a live band and they were excellent!

When we left about 11, we passed many other clubs and restaurants, many of which were quite full of people. THere was NO problems, lots of police vehicles around though!

Jan 5, 2006
... but the liquor curfew does help also because you dont have as many drunk people driving at wee hours of the morning, now tell me how many deaths the past 5 years have been because of drunk drivers, the number is truly incredible.
The number of deaths attributed to drunk driving is ridiculous, however, the liquor prohibition only affects that minimally. IMO, the true cause for the decrease in drunk drivers is the increased police/military patrols and the enforcement of the drinking while driving laws.

The goverment may be selling the population on the benefits of the liquor sales ban and the curfew, when in fact, anyone with half a brain should be able to see that the change is truly due to the police and military actually doing some meaningfull work.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
The goverment may be selling the population on the benefits of the liquor sales ban and the curfew, when in fact, anyone with half a brain should be able to see that the change is truly due to the police and military actually doing some meaningfull work.
What, then, do you think the REAL reason the sales ban was implemented?

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Updates:
Santiago mayor is trying to clear up sidewalk venders in the downtown area. Anyone who is selling things in carritos on a sidewalk will lose his carrito (cart). So the quipe/empanada venders were in trouble. They played hide and seek from police for a few days but finally the guy who sells quipe below my office building lost his cart. Now he is selling it from a pot, ready made, cooked. He has lost almost all of his sale and clients. The fruit guy is selling his fruit from cartons so if they come to take away anything, it will be just fruits and cartons. Both are starving and have families to support.

The mayor is also breaking down all old sidewalks and building new ones. My street is a mess and we have huge concrete, cement mountians on either side of the street. Parking is non existant and today its impossible for anyone to enter and leave from our building, due to fresh cement pour. No wonder I have zero patients today. I am trapped inside my own building.

I am told that Eddy hererra is playing at BIU pub in santiago. I bet lots of sexy cute women will be there to see this hunk. If you are a male, go there alone. You will be in heaven. I will show up. BIU pub is in the back of cine hollywood, below in the parking lot. I personally think the club will close down in the near future. Few people go there now.
There is shortage of gasoline at the pumps. Many pumps are closed down due to lack of shipment and others have a huge line. I am glad the prices are still the same.
AZB