Santiago now has direct flights to Europe

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Air-Europa-vuelos-Cibao-Diario-Libre-1024x767.png

Air Europa announced bi-weekly flights from Madrid, Spain to Santiago’s Cibao International Airport (STI). The airport is located in Santiago, the Dominican Republic’s second-largest city. Santiago is the country’s cigar capital and a mecca of medical tourism. It is also half an hour away from Puerto Plata’s beaches.

Air Europa’s Juan Jose (Pepe) Hidalgo and Manuel Estrella and Felix Garcia, executives of Cibao International, along with Minister of Tourism David Collado signed the agreement for the flights during the Fitur travel fair in Madrid.

As reported, Hidalgo, recounting the history of the first flights into the International Airport in Puerto Plata in 1986, marveled at the advances taken since then. He noted that there will now be more than 20 weekly flights between the Dominican Republic and Spain.

For his part, Garcia noted that the airport was...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: CristoRey and SKY

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
And NADA to POP... when I came down here 20+ years ago, there were a LOT of flights from many European countries. And now almost NADA. Aerodom, puking
That flight has subsides, the direct flight from Madrid moved to POP this summer, now they want to try with an airline that can offer connections in MAD and are paying Air Europa to try. My guess its that at the end the flight will move too to POP.

• Wow
Reactions: windeguy

singletravel

Oct 13, 2003
Yup, lots of promises (still waiting for Copa) but nothing happens. Arajet wa suppose to make pop a hub (hahah) and nothing happens. Maybe the numbers dont call for it?? But good news it's a sleepy airport and I can check in, do immigration and go to gates in less than 25 minutes. Not many airports you can say that. They're is enough value there, but I hate the monopoly AA has and its prices. lIfe isn't perfect and lets be carful, we might get what everyone asks for (more flights) and then the normal airport chaos begins ....

Reactions: NY-DR Commuter

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
And NADA to POP... when I came down here 20+ years ago, there were a LOT of flights from many European countries. And now almost NADA. Aerodom, puking
We are on the bastard child side of the island for flights. Ridiculously expensive, terrible connections and very limited.

I can deal with the chaos of more and cheaper flights at POP. But I see no reason for that to happen. Tourism is no longer a big thing on the north coast.

Reactions: HDR and Fulano2

singletravel

Oct 13, 2003
Well something's going on here. The traffic is horrible (every third vehicle is a truck) and building left and right. SOV is doubling (new Playa lagonana) and this well change everything, just think it s a matter time.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Let’s keep this thread specific to European flights from Santiago please.
Well now, pardon the frustration of those of us that have to go to places like Santiago or Santo Domingo to fly to various places we used to be able to get to easily from POP>

And so it goes. When do those STI to MAD flights start?

Reactions: Kricke87

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Well now, pardon the frustration of those of us that have to go to places like Santiago or Santo Domingo to fly to various places we used to be able to get to easily from POP>

And so it goes. When do those STI to MAD flights start?

Nothing wrong with that. Starting discussion about tourism on north coast is OT

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
Hmm, they started in June last year with these flights between STI and MAD, so how come this is "news"?
I know because I was looking into it as a valid option to get to Europe last summer.
But yeah there are few valid options for direct flights from Pop to Europe, unless you want to fly with Condor which charge +1000 USD for a one way ticket. I flew with them in 2021 and I paid less than $1000 for a round trip.
So I don't really understand why they saw the necessity to increase their tickets with more than 100% when nobody else does it (except they don't fly to Pop)

quaqualita

Feb 4, 2002
Last year I flew STI - MAD with World2Fly, which was a fantastic experience and half the price of the horrible Condor flight to get to Europe. Unfortunately, World2Fly does not fly to STI anymore, they only serve SDQ and Punta Cana at the moment. It would be wonderful if AirEuropa will offer this route now to fair prices, however so far I do not see STI offered on their website. Anyone knows when this route is going to start?

Reactions: CristoRey

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I've spent a lot of time in Europe, I even lived over there for a few years, never been to Spain but now that I can catch a direct flight from STI perhaps I will plan a trip over there this year.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
A flight to Europe? That’s almost the same as saying a flight to the USA.
I need flights Brussels-POP. Now we have the option … Brussels Punta Cana. Great when you “live” in Rio San Juan.

Reactions: windeguy

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
A flight to Europe? That’s almost the same as saying a flight to the USA.
I need flights Brussels-POP. Now we have the option … Brussels Punta Cana. Great when you “live” in Rio San Juan.
Sadly , I don't expect demand to increase in the POP area for touristic flights any time soon. We are stuck with a few tedious and expensive options here on the north coast when flying anywhere but NY City, Miami, or a couple of Canadian cities, I am not up to date on remaining EU flights and POP at the moment. We need a lot more demand than we have for POP to add flights.

Reactions: Fulano2