santiago vs santo domingo

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
I'm actually an Arborist, yes, absolutely no use in the republic.

As a matter of fact yes! There are opportunities for your job capacity in the DR. You're just looking in the wrong parts!

You can begin your decent job/pay hunt with an in-person visit to the Jardin Botanico first. There you can gather further contact information to people/places where your skills are wanted/well paid for.

It all goes back to how your capacity really is! If we're talking just cropping evergreens and minor stuff as base experience, you'll have a harder time. If we're talking a good background in actual care and work with certain areas, then the outlook is much better!

xtoclark

Jul 9, 2008
Like Nal says, one has to open up their own doors. What OP has to offer, any dominican can do it cheaper. This is it, if people come here without skill, plan and money, they will be bankrupt in months. In order to survive in santiago or capital, one has to speak spanish, in order to interact with the locals to work for/with them. Now if your money is coming from out of the country, then don't even bother with learning spanish but if you have to survive working here, then you better have a valuable skill that pays well and must be smart enough to know how to make money from it. I used to be this way, giving away my services for free. No matter what I charged, people complained and wanted to pay less. The worst place to try to make money (in my case) is in expat community. They are the people who don't spend as compared to dominicans. expats are generally more calculative to cheap when it comes to spending money. The dominicans are the kings, they pay what you ask for.
So if you are still young and strong, I suggest, go back to usa or europe (where you are from) and make some money and then come back with a plan.
AZB

I think you mean frugal :cheeky: and weathered. Coming from you it sounds like a crime, ;) A penny saved...

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Also...for the record...you probably do get a bit more for your money in Santiago rent-wise, but apartments for one person in decent neighborhoods are hard to come by...