Santiago, what's missing?

May 12, 2005
Another thing I just realized is missing from Santiago is me not living there fulltime. Hopefully one day in the not to distant future.

Wingclipper

May 5, 2006
You might come to the conclusion it's not missing anything. It is what it is and it works.
Cities are constantly changing and evolving. Santiago will have to evolve as well....or it will suffer. What can it do to attract major industry and outsourcing projects? Can they identify their greatest strengths and market it in today's global economy?
How about attracting retirees?

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Cities are constantly changing and evolving. Santiago will have to evolve as well....or it will suffer. What can it do to attract major industry and outsourcing projects? Can they identify their greatest strengths and market it in today's global economy?

how about leaving santiago, just the way it is. everyone who loves santiago is not complaining. The economy is bad world wide so we are not alone in it.
We do not need any more tourists or retirees here from all over the world. For your information, there are many dominicans who have and are retiring here from USA and europe every year. Tourists come here as well, but this is not a beach town so no caribbean island flavor is felt here. In simple words, santiago is not for everyone, whether you will love it or hate it. There is no in between.
AZB

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003

Perhaps you're right. . . but this post sounds exactly like page 1 of Urban Planning 101 . Why so dramatic with "...or they will suffer"? Yep, perhaps they need to get with the flow and have a GM plant, an AIG office, a Merrill Lynch, BOF A, (6)ZStarbux, a place to dump money with a check written to Mayden (SP and who cares). Yep, they need to flow and assimmilate with more mortgage brokers, hedge fund managers,and people you know...greater sophistication than the folks with all the cow turds on their boots working those 200 acre dairy farms.

Like I said maybe you're right. . . however, I think you know where I'm coming from.
john

Tallman1818

Nov 19, 2007
If you talk about what Santiago as a city is missing I will say the following, a good place to get big and tall male clothing (good brands), a multi-level parking space in downtown(Calle del Sol), an elevated high way (skyway) on the corner of Bartolome Colon avenue and Salvador Estrella Sahala avenue, more lighting at the entrance of STI, right when you get off the Duarte highway. Just to mention a few....

ElvisNYC

Jan 27, 2006
Yeah a metro !! Tipico in the train cars :)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7jn150ASzsY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7jn150ASzsY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

chola1978

Bronze
Mar 20, 2006
Well to OP
Its a nice idea to post here but we in DR1 do not represt a significat volume to your potnetial business..If you take some time and look at your target and understnad their shoping habits you will find that Snatiagueros do many thigns base on tradition and new ideas are usually shut down i nthe long run..
I defer from other we in snatiago do not need more Americna Business concepts we need to elevate our original ideas and give it a moder look to it.. simple nad elegnat..
A cafe has only one place in Snaitaog and is in the Monumento but with the changes to the area it will be slow ot chatch up.
Now thier was apreiod where El Rio Con was ahapening palce and that might be avenue to take on ..and you will benefit form copycats their since you will be looking to revive a area that has all the realsted need to make...
Now lets nto understimake shopping power the best busienss i nthe country targe the largest population sector..or Podbres..
BuenoBonio yBarato give s you a wining strategy al lthe time
This is a town that respct tradion..Bade,Pez Dorado.,Los muchachos, puerta del sol(renovating) Ahi bar..and the main patrons are us los santiagueros no the expats..
Sure we all want stuff form where we cmae but why did we leave i nthe first place..
how about take a local traditional place and convert it in to a clean and afortable venue

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
as we speak a fancy cafe/bar has already opened up on calle del sol as you are reaching the monument. This is a fancy type bar/ cafe where people dress to impress. So there you have it, your own joint to drink a cold one or a fresh cappuccino. The place is called. tete bar.
AZB

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
how about leaving santiago, just the way it is. everyone who loves santiago is not complaining. The economy is bad world wide so we are not alone in it.
We do not need any more tourists or retirees here from all over the world. For your information, there are many dominicans who have and are retiring here from USA and europe every year. Tourists come here as well, but this is not a beach town so no caribbean island flavor is felt here. In simple words, santiago is not for everyone, whether you will love it or hate it. There is no in between.
AZB

I am totally ambivilant toward Santiago.:p

rortiz79

Aug 8, 2008
My wife is from Santiago and the only reason why I go there now. I think it's awesome. Reminds me of Washington Heights in NYC, but tropical. Which is a plus for me!

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
My wife is from Santiago and the only reason why I go there now. I think it's awesome. Reminds me of Washington Heights in NYC, but tropical. Which is a plus for me!

I have only been to Santiago only twice and I do not see anything remotely comparable to Washington Heights.

Just my opinion.;)

rortiz79

Aug 8, 2008
You serious? I was born and raised in WH, and it def feels like it. :p

The whole everyone out chillin, playing dominoes, city like setting in Santiago.

rortiz79

Aug 8, 2008
Por el monumento, and my wifes aunts house (forget where). I went there a year ago and it was like that.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Hey, can I rent a beach umbrella??

Tough to imagine enjoying a game of dominios in front of the momument. Blazing sun. Concrete. Steps. Tourists gawking. Not a pretty picture is it?