Santiago's Sights to See...Represent!

Sugoya

Jun 15, 2008
So, I came to Santo Domingo today, and I Was telling my 20-something cousin how easy it would be for me to go to Santiago. She then replied "For what? There's nothing to do over there. They don't even have a beach over there." Now was this just some sort of Santo Domingo/Santiago rivalry that provoked her to say these things, or what's up?

What are the main spots that you Santiago residents would show a visitor? P.S., I'm not a big fan of architecture, and I am in my early 20s.

Thanks.

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
So, I came to Santo Domingo today, and I Was telling my 20-something cousin how easy it would be for me to go to Santiago. She then replied "For what? There's nothing to do over there. They don't even have a beach over there." Now was this just some sort of Santo Domingo/Santiago rivalry that provoked her to say these things, or what's up?

What are the main spots that you Santiago residents would show a visitor? P.S., I'm not a big fan of architecture, and I am in my early 20s.

Thanks.

Los Capitalenos hate Santiago because it's wayyyyyyyyyyy better than La Capital, and Las Aguilas Cibaenas kick their A** every year.

If you are not a big fan of architecture, that means that you don't like La Zona Colonial, El Faro Colon and everything La Capital has to offer.

I'm guessing here you just like to go to the Clubs and the beaches and get drunk?

You will find a lot of good clubs in both Santiago and La Capital, you will also find good beaches outside both cities.

Sugoya

Jun 15, 2008
Be easy Eze, I'm just saying that I wouldn't be able to spend an entire day or 2 days with only architecture to sustain me. I'd be able to do half a day at most. Plus, I know that the Colonial Zone has probably the best architecture on the whole island, so I'm looking for "other" in Santiago. I'm into some bar/club things, but I actually prefer things I can hold (i.e. photos, souveniers, etc.). . I'm also into meeting other tourists and the networking possibilities that it presents. Let me know of some good places, please.
Thank You for your time.

elton

My thread snapped!
Jul 1, 2008
centro leon ? and the monument area (I know its arkitexture) but theres cafes and stuff round it

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
If bars, restaurants and shopping don't interest you, there's nothing to do in either city, specially for someone who has little interest in the architecture, which could only entertain you for a short while anyhow.

Sugoya

Jun 15, 2008
Well, I'm already going to Boca Chica to check it out (been there when I was younger, but can't remember it).

As far as Santiago, I guess I am the type to be entertained by just seeing something that La Capital doesn't have (like a specific venue, museum, or shop, even if it's small.

In all actuality, whether I'm seeking photos, women, souveniers, etc. I am a writer (it truly is one of my passions). So I just want something to wite about. I mean, to write in my style of course. I can write an article about a plant, or a specific row of bricks in a specific colonial building, but if I don't get a special feeling writing it, and sharing it with others, then it may not be worth my time.

ZEUS

Bronze
Feb 14, 2003
As a Santiaguero I say this: Santiago es para los Santiagueros. We don't need no Capitale~nos here. Yes, we don't have a beach, but we have our
hospitality, our costums and our Monumento. Everybody goes to la Capital.

We're very selective. Let's keep it that way.. Fuera Capitale~nos !!

Zeus ( mad as hell):mad:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Look, dude, Santiago is a major city with lots to do and lots to see. It in NOT a tourist attraction.
That said, there is a club scene, with lots of places to see and be seen...Tribeca, Francifol, and a whole bunch more.

There is a "tipico" scene with lots of "ranchos" for merengues, bachatas and such.

There is a "cultural" scene where you can start with the Centro Leon, and with your command of Spanish, you will appreciate this even more--and then you can move into the center of the city where you have La Casa de Arte, Ceballos Estrella, El 37 de las Tablas, Centro de la Cultura, Museo Folklorico Tom?s Morel and la Casa Consistorial and the Fortaleza San Luis...

And then there are the girls....but I will leave that to the other posters...(I mean the better class of girls, not just the "chicas" ....

Thing with your cousin is that since there are no beaches in Santo Domingo, they are jealous that we can be at a beautiful beach in an hour and a half and it can take them that much time just to leave "la Capital"....

The "capitale?os" also have an inferiority complex since the quality of life is so markedly different in Santiago...all they do in Sto Dgo is sign the checks and steal the money from the rest of us.... (Not 100% true, but a lot of us feel that way)

HB

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Although I would be bored to tears in either city, I would rather be bored in Santiago, anyday.
There's no comparison.
Santo Domingo even stinks when you start getting close to the city.
Driving there is absurd.
It used to be that the shopping there was much better, but not anymore.
Santiago is cleaner.
Santiagueros seem to be more civil and friendly.
If I never set foot in Santo Domingo again, that'll be fine with me.