Santo Domingo - an acquired taste

Makinater

May 4, 2013
I have lived in Santo Domingo for many years. I have visited many other small towns. They are just too small for me. I don't want to see the same people every day or go to the same stores every day. Santo Domingo has the variety I like. Life is not so bad without a car. I live near a Metro stop. I also use public cars during the day and taxis at night. I could not stand having a car with all its built in problems. The traffic and all different forms of the police would quickly send me over the edge let alone always being at fault when in an accident. I have a backup system for lights and water, reliable cable and internet. I have a trusted Dominican employee who deals with all problems . Actually, I find life pretty nice in Santo Domingo.

If I were to live at a Metro stop and only needed to move around downtown SD, I wouldn't need a car - just like you said. But in the outskirts, like Villa Mella or Los Minas, it's not easy without one I can tell you. At least not with a toddler that can't take as much heat, exhaust fumes and noise as we grown ups.

Makinater

May 4, 2013
Sounds like a living hell for the working person..get out while you can.

We are out of the capital at the moment, but keep longing back to the chaos. It is wonderful, but hard in the beginning and especially without a car. Ain't no other place like SD though ...

Makinater

May 4, 2013
You can never go home again. Very rarely do the memories hold up to the reality.

LTSteve

Go home? I believe that our home is where we are at the moment, the place where we sleep at night. And no, we won't be moving back to Northern Europe again. Not because the memories wouldn't hold up to the reality, the problem is that they most likely would. I have memories of a cold, depressing and dark landscape. I prefer that image to be just a memory rather than my everyday surroundings ... We do miss family and friends like crazy though, but they will visit here and we will visit them. It's not like we went on a one-way-trip to Mars!

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
What surprises me in your posts is that your wife is the (only) one who has problems to adapt to this country, in the meantime it seems you made this your patria very fast...

Makinater

May 4, 2013
What surprises me in your posts is that your wife is the (only) one who has problems to adapt to this country, in the meantime it seems you made this your patria very fast...

It would be truly amazing if I had moved here a six weeks ago without never having had the experience of living in the Caribbean. But I was in the DR my first time in 1986-97 when I was only 5 years old. After that in -95, -99, -00, -01, -02, and now 2013. Never spent more than a couple of days in hotels, sino en la casa de mi familia where we seldom had luz, agua or any other commodity. And I didn't come for short vacations, but rather several months every time. Things around here aren't exactly to me, except that it makes a great difference if one is to endure it by oneself, or if one is trying to make things as comfortable as possible for a small child. But we are getting there, step by step. Kiddo is happier than ever at the play grounds, beaches and on the streets. :) That said, I still got lots of issues with this country that I will take years to adapt to (if ever). The way children is raised is one such issue, traffic irresponsibility and drunk driving is another. But then again, one can't get everything in one place. Happiness is all I need, not perfection. And lots of sun, of course ... :smoke:

Mar 1, 2009
This was an awesome account of life in DR. When my relatives or friends ask me why I moved back I say, "porque a mi me gusta".