Santo Domingo is EXPENSIVE - Living Expenses for Past 3 months

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Maybe we should rename this thread:

"Live an upper middle class life per Western standards in SD at half price!" :)

BigLongBeach

Feb 8, 2010
OK...not denying Santo Domingo is expensive, cause it is, but you cannot compare your life in NYC and Santo Domingo. It's not apples to apples. Someone asked what your expenses were in NYC by comparison...I bet they were much higher if you did some of the same things you're doing in The DR. We all know what 1800 USD a month will get you in a nice area of NYC house wise. How about parking in NYC?...and of course maid, salon and education. I'm not even convinced you're going to the same quality restaurants in The DR as you were in NYC...from my experience you can easily spend 100+ a meal for two at any decent / run of the mill restaurant in NYC as the drinks alone have crazy prices (12-15 USD per drink)...Granted in NYC you have a lot more choices.

Thanks for posting your expenses BTW.

300/month is maybe 1-2 date nights per month in NYC and you arent going to per se, or peter lugars.

you are right it isnt apples to apples. 4 of us had a nice meal at porterhouse in santo domingo with drink, steak, and desert for 1200rd each. tip and tax included. That meal in NYC is 2500rd each at the same level restaurant or lower.

I had a dinner date at another steakhouse for 2500rd total, appetizers, alcohol, steaks, and desert.

As long as you stay away from the tourist and money traps you should have find good quality food at dominican prices. That being said you can easily find plenty of expensive places to eat.

But i dont think i have ever paid more than 3500rd for a dinner for 2 ever in santo domingo and i am not talking about eating at cafeterias. In NYC you can spend that on your drink tab alone

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
0. Poverty: USD$316 or less to live like 10.4% of these households
1. Low income: USD$527 to 922 to live like 30.6% of these households
2. Low middle class: USD$922 to 1,186 to live like 13% of these households
3. Middle class: USD$1,186 to 4,216 to live like 26% of these households

4. Upper middle class: USD$ 4,216 to 6,588 to live like 13% of these households

5. Upper class: USD$6,588 to 26,351 to live like 5% of these households
6. Rich/wealthy: USD$26,351 + to live like 2% of these households

You're living an "Upper Middle Class" level in the DR as your post details...

Visit here to get some data and some added B.S. from others as well:

http://www.dr1.com/forums/dr-debates/117194-middle-class-dr.html

Seemsl like govenrment propaganda to me.... I bet u there are MUCH more people living on 527 US or less... 20-25 percent maybe?

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009

So I guess there is 0% of the population that earns between USD$316 and USD$527?

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
So I guess there is 0% of the population that earns between USD$316 and USD$527?

Yup! They are called morons that can't understand some simple numerical logic!

Since anything below USD$527 means your options to live like any low income HH are zapped but anything south of USD$316 for HH would put you in dire needs of poverty, the reasoning is that anything that goes from USD$316 to USD$527 is a HH that's either facing going to poverty or moving up to low income. You can't box it as poor or low income as such and must allow for the HH to reach a stable break-point, before you make it count for economic reports that are based on facts not what if's...

Social planners and pundits use the term extreme poverty to label the economic class that falls under the USD$316 breakdown, leaving anything above it and well past USD$527 to be called low income (poor) HHs...

If biz depended on those economic breakdowns for their long term investments in areas of economic dynamics like SD, they would not be a lot of biz that today opened up their doors all around areas many deemed "poor" by those pundit's standards. Much like some people here still can't see the middle class of the DR supporting all those biz around and even more to open up in the near, as well as the long term future.

In the biz world there's no such thing as extreme poverty! A biz going to invest money can't depend on "what if" Jose's HH can move up from below USD$316 to USD$527 along the rest of his other struggling HH neighbors, or to fall below the USD$316 in order to know what their client base will be in the mid to long term...

Their base client stars at USD$527 and the potential clients long term are at or below USD$316. Those that are the clients at USD$527 have enough room to face economic issues before the drop from clients into the USD$316 or below. The guideline break-point is there to indicate how much room and margin there's to support the biz investment strategy long term based on the clients not the potential clients first and foremost.

The break-point gap details the time and economic prosperity the sub USD$527 (read USD$316) will need in order to be of any importance to the long term outlook of future clients for the investment and how strong is the economic support of the existent USD$527 and up HH client base.

But you see, so many here with so called U.S. what-not diploma holders and can't even grasp the simplest of economic models, used by financial institutions in their studies of a given market area...

Each time I explain the same thing I'm forced to use even simpler explanations, that even a HS student or 8th grader could grasp in mere minutes...

I'll try next time with carrots and bunnies maybe?

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Seemsl like govenrment propaganda to me.... I bet u there are MUCH more people living on 527 US or less... 20-25 percent maybe?

Did you read well before you posted that?

Not to mention:

Then not to mention that low income and poor HH's are made up of a greater number of inviduals than the low middle income and above...

Read well before you go around writing nonsense!

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Yup! They are called morons that can't understand some simple numerical logic!

Since anything below USD$527 means your options to live like any low income HH are zapped but anything south of USD$316 for HH would put you in dire needs of poverty, the reasoning is that anything that goes from USD$316 to USD$527 is a HH that's either facing going to poverty or moving up to low income. You can't box it as poor or low income as such and must allow for the HH to reach a stable break-point, before you make it count for economic reports that are based on facts not what if's...

Social planners and pundits use the term extreme poverty to label the economic class that falls under the USD$316 breakdown, leaving anything above it and well past USD$527 to be called low income (poor) HHs...

If biz depended on those economic breakdowns for their long term investments in areas of economic dynamics like SD, they would not be a lot of biz that today opened up their doors all around areas many deemed "poor" by those pundit's standards. Much like some people here still can't see the middle class of the DR supporting all those biz around and even more to open up in the near, as well as the long term future.

In the biz world there's no such thing as extreme poverty! A biz going to invest money can't depend on "what if" Jose's HH can move up from below USD$316 to USD$527 along the rest of his other struggling HH neighbors, or to fall below the USD$316 in order to know what their client base will be in the mid to long term...

Their base client stars at USD$527 and the potential clients long term are at or below USD$316. Those that are the clients at USD$527 have enough room to face economic issues before the drop from clients into the USD$316 or below. The guideline break-point is there to indicate how much room and margin there's to support the biz investment strategy long term based on the clients not the potential clients first and foremost.

The break-point gap details the time and economic prosperity the sub USD$527 (read USD$316) will need in order to be of any importance to the long term outlook of future clients for the investment and how strong is the economic support of the existent USD$527 and up HH client base.

But you see, so many here with so called U.S. what-not diploma holders and can't even grasp the simplest of economic models, used by financial institutions in their studies of a given market area...

Each time I explain the same thing I'm forced to use even simpler explanations, that even a HS student or 8th grader could grasp in mere minutes...

I'll try next time with carrots and bunnies maybe?

He's still hasn't learned, you can't bullsh*t a bullsh*ter. With all that you said, what percentage of the Dominican population equals the whole population? Everywhere else 100% equals the whole. You have accounted for 100% without including the USD$316 and USD$527 population.

PICHARDO said:

Golfer

Apr 7, 2002
Notice how people are posting the costs of their maid/handyman in their monthly totals as if it can be compared to living expenses in the US. Handymen where I live start at about $40 per hour and maids $30. If you want to employ, cooks, gardeners, handymen and maids the small additional costs of food & utilities in the DR are peanuts compared to the cheaper cost of service.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
He's still hasn't learned, you can't bullsh*t a bullsh*ter. With all that you said, what percentage of the Dominican population equals the whole population? Everywhere else 100% equals the whole. You have accounted for 100% without including the USD$316 and USD$527 population.

If you had an ounce of sense you could grasp that there's not missing USD$316 to USD$527 section of the HH or population buddy! Simply enough that's the people that are at the tips of the USD$316 or below and USD$527 and USD$316 levels. One trying not to fall all the way to below or USD$316 and the other trying to reach above USD$316 and well into USD$527...

How many are those? Simple statistics employed by biz in the sector detail the % with a very minimal margin of error of less than 1% or at worst 3% (we use the 0.4% and 0.6%for that in our more precise market area studies).

But! I guess you still will not get it anyhow! Tsk! Tsk! Tsk!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Remember we can't understand because we have no sense, we can't understand English, we don't have the required degree, my dog ate my homework.....

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
If you had an ounce of sense you could grasp that there's not missing USD$316 to USD$527 section of the HH or population buddy! Simply enough that's the people that are at the tips of the USD$316 or below and USD$527 and USD$316 levels. One trying not to fall all the way to below or USD$316 and the other trying to reach above USD$316 and well into USD$527...

How many are those? Simple statistics employed by biz in the sector detail the % with a very minimal margin of error of less than 1% or at worst 3% (we use the 0.4% and 0.6%for that in our more precise market area studies).

But! I guess you still will not get it anyhow! Tsk! Tsk! Tsk!
Why don't you just admit you made a simple error and f*cked up the chart and left out the USD$316 to USD$527 population? Unless of course you maintain that the parts of a Dominican population, when totaled, exceed 100%. As you now have it, this population ( USD$316 to USD$527 ) falls in neither the Poverty or Low Income groups, yet the total for all the groups listed is 100%. If you had an ounce of sense, you would understand this is an error and not try to bullsh*t it away.

???? Maybe it is my fault for not understanding. I learned "old math" in school. My kids learned "new math". Obviously you are using "Dominican math".

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Why don't you just admit you made a simple error and f*cked up the chart and left out the USD$316 to USD$527 population? Unless of course you maintain that the parts of a Dominican population, when totaled, exceed 100%. As you now have it, this population ( USD$316 to USD$527 ) falls in neither the Poverty or Low Income groups, yet the total for all the groups listed is 100%. If you had an ounce of sense, you would understand this is an error and not try to bullsh*t it away.

Read well before you "again" post nonsense!

Where is the over 100% in the breakdown as you claim? (I mean that with my limited English skills as well)

We don't make "errors" with studies that we got paid serious Moolah for... And that was USD$ not DRP$

And to think I gave you guys a freebie here on DR1!

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
OK now. This interesting thread does not need to be closed. I might have to move to the debate forum. Tsk! Tsk! Tsk!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago

Welcome to Dominican politics; repeat and repeat and repeat until the opposition gives up because of frustration. I'm not kidding, just try listening to a radio or tv program that is being sponsored by a party and trying to defend the party.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Read well before you "again" post nonsense!

Where is the over 100% in the breakdown as you claim? (I mean that with my limited English skills as well)

We don't make "errors" with studies that we got paid serious Moolah for... And that was USD$ not DRP$

And to think I gave you guys a freebie here on DR1!

Let me use my old math.....10.4 +30.6 +13 +26 +13 +5 +2 =100% Where does the USD$316 to USD$527 populaton fall in this 100% of the population? A simple question requiring a simple answer. Either they account for 0% of the population or somebody made an error.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
For the love of everything holy, PICHARDO, just admit you f*cked up.

SHALENA

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Doing this from memory and off the top of my head as I have not been home in 3.5 months:

800 -rent - 4 beds, 3 bath, power rarely goes out, good security, not Naco or Piantini but more middle class
350 -electricity
500 -Claro - phone, internet, 2 iphones
300 -food colmado
600 -eating out
60 cable
300 -taxis no car
600 -entertainment
100 -fiance's insurance, I am covered by work
200 -salon

Clothes I buy when in the states and we tend to buy in bunches. Not really a monthly expense. We may buy zero clothes for 2 months and then drop 2-3k in one month etc.

No car or insurance for auto yet.

Rent is cheap for the size apt we have. Not crazy about the neighborhood and prefer Gazcue where we lived previously. We are sort of on the border of Pedregal and Honduras. So nice on one side, not so nice on the other. I actually like feeling like I am in a dominican neighborhood for the most part, even if it does make me nuts from time to time. 2 story apt with about 190 square meters, terraza, much farther from city so we actually go out less. In Gazcue we could just walk to many places. Here, we stay in more and take taxi on the nights we want to go out etc.