Santo Domingo Metro - more work

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Flashback.........

Ten years ago Pichardo said this............

Aegap, the stations and overall system was built with the notion of keeping the service fit to expand as added lines continue to create more demand and congestion within the Metro itself.

For this aim the stations were designed to be able to expand the train sets from 3 cars (as today and while in commercial service they will be set in such configuration) to as many as doubled that number to 6. That takes care of demand growth while keeping the need to expand infrastructure in check for a good longtime.

If you also notice the height of the ceilings in all stations is really extreme compared to other systems in use today, which takes care of humidity and air quality issues; as well as providing room for future enhancements to the system. The air flow dynamics is greatly impacted when you provide a larger area for the same to flow free of obstructions, saving money in AC ventilation and exhausting any foul odors and dangerous concentrations of fumes in the stations themselves in case of fires away from users.

An air quality monitoring system is installed and can provide an early warning alarm should any evacuation be required for safety issues.

The trials actually confirmed that ridership projections are within the margin expected during the construction of the system. Maybe even a bit over but that's understandable given the nature of the FREE rides relying on curiosity.

On a note: Just to shut the mouth of some "experts", the Metro didn't cause a major blackout in the Capital as dully reported by media and word of mouth. The actual energy used to make the trial runs is below any expectations and projections made before hand.

https://dr1.com/forums/showthread.php/83705-Metro-Update

A little secret I have learned. Don't waste your time with the dr1 search function. It will only spit out a bunch of useless garbage. Use Google search and type in as much info you remember was in the thread you are looking for. Make sure to add dr1 to the search and viola you most likely have found the thread.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014

A little secret I have learned. Don't waste your time with the dr1 search function. It will only spit out a bunch of useless garbage. Use Google search and type in as much info you remember was in the thread you are looking for. Make sure to add dr1 to the search and viola you most likely have found the thread.

So the DR1 web developer ain't the sharpest tool in the shed?

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
I used the Metro often when I lived in S.D. even at times when I had a car, depending on time of day and destination. Now that I live in Santiago (MUCH better) I only take it when I am forced to fly out of SDQ. At which times I have used Caribe Tours to KM9 and taken it to Gomez then Uber to the AP. Now that the 2nd line is up and running to the east side I can, if needed take it to Mega Centro and then Uber to the airport.
I made the mistake of parking at the SDQ for an extended trip. They, at least at the time, had no long term rates. DAM that was quite the bill.
I am anxious to see the construction from Alcarizos to KM and hopefully they will pull those dam conchos off the road.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
About 900/day ring a bell?

I just did it...Thursday AM to Monday AM... about 4000 pesos

Which I did NOT think was cheap

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
...... when I am forced to fly out of SDQ. At which times I have used Caribe Tours to KM9 and taken it to Gomez then Uber to the AP. Now that the 2nd line is up and running to the east side I can, if needed take it to Mega Centro and then Uber to the airport............

That would be correct and you will be avoiding all the SD Centro traffic. You should have no problem getting an Uber on that side of the river, at least I never have. Take Line 2 to the very last stop Concepcion Bona which is directly across the street from MegaCentro.

Now one may ask who or what is Concepcion Bona?

Concepción Bona Hernández was a nursery school teacher and a campaigner for the independence of the Dominican Republic. Together with María Trinidad Sánchez, Isabel Sosa and María de Jesús Pina, she took part in designing the Dominican flag.

The names of the four stations on Line 2B of the Santo Domingo Metro are all of women: Ercilia Pepín, Rosa Duarte, Trina de Moya and Concepción Bona.

By vote

After making the votes and purifications of the proposed names, finally decided to honor the brilliant educator Ercilia Pepin; to the patriot Rosa Duarte; to the poet Trina de Moya, and to the educator and patriot Concepción Bona, who made the Dominican flag that waved at the Puerta del Conde on February 27, 1844.

Opret said that "names were predominantly selected from great fighters and outstanding politicians, on Line 2 A, although some names of politicians and equally meritorious fighters were adopted for whom the number of Line 1 stations did not reach." "It is evident that we sought to recognize also outstanding figures of Dominican art, culture and literature, among which are María Montez, Pedro Mir, Freddy Beras Goico and Eduardo Brito."

The Opret said that "the Dominican people have given birth to many great men and women with merits so that the Metro works that are built bear their names and that there are many metro stations left to build.

https://www.elcaribe.com.do/2018/07...a-nombres-de-linea-2b-metro-de-santo-domingo/

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv

Now pull up all the debbie downers saying the metro would never work here. Same with teleferico. Heck I remember predictionsthat hard rock cafe would fail.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Now pull up all the debbie downers saying the metro would never work here. Same with teleferico. Heck I remember predictionsthat hard rock cafe would fail.

jejeje, Agora Mall was bound to be a failure. Galeria 360 and Sambill were doomed because way too many malls. Plaza Guibia would be filthy and all the outdoor exercise equipment would be broke in a year. Plaza Juan Baron was poor planning with no shade trees although the intent of the Plaza was for evening fun. We could make a list a mile long of all the predicted failures.

too funny, especially when the gloom and doom folks don't even live in SD, some not even in the country.

and how could i forget..... some even said Uber would fail because of the taxi mafia

Sep 4, 2012
It is the forum format that is not good.

As for the Metro in SD, I doubt I will ever take it. But then, I hate SD in general.

I had taken it just for giggles.

Will never be the way I would commute in this city. I drive everywhere and love it. Can't no one pay me enough to make the Metro my ride around town.

Dr_Taylor

Oct 18, 2017
I had taken it just for giggles.

Will never be the way I would commute in this city. I drive everywhere and love it. Can't no one pay me enough to make the Metro my ride around town.
For those of us who come from large cities such as New York, Chicago, Philadelphia, and the like, the Metro really is not that bad. It certainly is cleaner. Now, let me confess that the crowds can be a bit much. Moreover, I do not feel too comfortable waiting in the packed line for the Number 2 at Kennedy Station to go west in the morning. If one person slips--or worse gets pushed--I would not desire to be on that platform.