Santo Domingo Motors open its largest dealership outside GSD in Santiago

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
This week Santo Domingo Motors open its largest dealership outside Santo Domingo in Santiago. They are on autopista Duarte close to K-Ramelo residenctial towers but on the other side of the highway. Santiago now has a dealership from the main importer/representative of Cadillac, Chevrolet, Infiniti, Nissan and Suzuki in the DR.

IMG_3754.jpeg

IMG_3751.jpeg

IMG_3755.jpeg

IMG_3752.jpeg

IMG_3753.jpeg

Reactions: JD Jones

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
and where they get money? money laundering?
SDM has been for a long time one of the wealthiest new cars dealerships companies in the country and they basically get a cut of every new Cadillac, Chevrolet, Infiniti, Nissan (and maybe a few others) sold in the DR by them and any of their competitors as they are the only ones allowed to import those vehicles straight from the factory in the DR (not so used ones). Plus, they also have a presence in other nearby markets (Puerto Rico and others). Money is not an issue for them at this point.

This isn't their first presence in Santiago. They had a smaller dealership closer to the center of the city which was open a few years ago. That was more of a testing experiment for SDM to see if Santiago and vicinity has the demand for SDM and if it surpasses for a very small dealership. Well, I think that question has been answered.

For the longest time, SDM had no direct dealerships outside SD though they have always been the exclusive importers of certain car brands such as Chevrolet in the DR (new ones only). To put it another way, every Chevrolet seen in the DR, if it started its "life" in the DR then at one point at the very least was a benefit to SDM.

Last edited:

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
I see a lot of Chinese vehicles in Santiago, they sell half the price American and Japanese cars.

They have pretty design!

JJ

Attachments

• IMG_20230730_120854742_HDR~2.jpg
    IMG_20230730_120854742_HDR~2.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 117
  • IMG_20230730_120859183_HDR~2.jpg
    IMG_20230730_120859183_HDR~2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 108
  • IMG_20230730_120939669_HDR~2.jpg
    IMG_20230730_120939669_HDR~2.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 110

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
You have to be rich to buy Honda or Toyota here in DR.

A Honda CR-V 2023 $56K US Dollars.

JJ

Reactions: PCMike
Jan 9, 2004
I see a lot of Chinese vehicles in Santiago, they sell half the price American and Japanese cars.

They have pretty design!

JJ
There are a multitude of Chinese brands for sale in the DR.

Most are affiliated with one of the major automotive dealers in the DR.

I stopped at Changan on JFK in Santo Domingo earlier this month. While I do not know about the reliability factor (that will take several years to establish....either good or bad) the fit and finish is certainly not up to Japanese or American standards. Ditto those vehicles from Ssang Yong and BYD.

But, as you say..............they are about half price.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

They have pretty design!

JJ
I personally hate the big black Nissan/Lexus like grills in front of some new cars. But that is just me.
Chinese buying there way into markets. This is the way.

iu

Reactions: bachata
Jan 9, 2004
And what of their EVs?
Both Honda and Toyota are late to the EV party. Note that Toyota was, and still is, the leader in the hybrid space. Subaru has entered with the Solterra which is built by Toyota on its bZ4X platform.

All the EV offerings from them are mid $40,000 USD range (Honda Prologue/Honda Ny1/Toyota bZ4X/Subaru Solterra.

The Korean majors are also in the space with their lineup.

Note Chevrolet has discontinued its first entry in the EV space...........the Bolt.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
There are a multitude of Chinese brands for sale in the DR.

Most are affiliated with one of the major automotive dealers in the DR.

I stopped at Changan on JFK in Santo Domingo earlier this month. While I do not know about the reliability factor (that will take several years to establish....either good or bad) the fit and finish is certainly not up to Japanese or American standards. Ditto those vehicles from Ssang Yong and BYD.

But, as you say..............they are about half price.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
One of the things I've noticed is how damaging UV rays are to their plastics. I have seen new vehicles on the lot with faded Lenses and even a broken door handle or two.
My OCD mind would drive me up a wall if I had one - and very likely no replacement available.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Took me almost 30 minutes from Villa Olímpica yo Metro bus station today 5 kilometers ride.

JJ
Santiago is heading in the same direction as the Capital with all the construction going on there in relation to traffic congestion. In the last 10 years the amount of cars on the road probably doubled. Streets there cannot handle it..............

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
Santiago is heading in the same direction as the Capital with all the construction going on there in relation to traffic congestion. In the last 10 years the amount of cars on the road probably doubled. Streets there cannot handle it..............
That's why I am spending more time in Sosua, Cabarete and Puerto Plata.

JJ

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Both Honda and Toyota are late to the EV party. Note that Toyota was, and still is, the leader in the hybrid space. Subaru has entered with the Solterra which is built by Toyota on its bZ4X platform.

All the EV offerings from them are mid $40,000 USD range (Honda Prologue/Honda Ny1/Toyota bZ4X/Subaru Solterra.
Those are DR delivered to my door prices? 40K?
The Korean majors are also in the space with their lineup.
Like the Kona
Note Chevrolet has discontinued its first entry in the EV space...........the Bolt.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
The Bolt was the time bomb in my neighbors garage. Seems like a new Bolt is coming:

General Motors announced today that it’s developing a next-generation Chevrolet Bolt based on the automaker’s Ultium battery and drive technology to deliver “great affordability, range and technology.” It’s following three electric vehicles Chevrolet is already scheduled to launch this year: the Equinox and Blazer SUVs and the Silverado pickup truck.

(and not burn down your house, they forgot to add.)

Jan 9, 2004
Those are DR delivered to my door prices? 40K?
No. Check with the various dealers in SD for local pricing that includes certain fees/taxes. Note that the full EV's receive or are entitled to a 50% reduction in taxes.
Like the Kona

Kona/EV6/Soul/Kia Niro
The Bolt was the time bomb in my neighbors garage. Seems like a new Bolt is coming:

General Motors announced today that it’s developing a next-generation Chevrolet Bolt based on the automaker’s Ultium battery and drive technology to deliver “great affordability, range and technology.” It’s following three electric vehicles Chevrolet is already scheduled to launch this year: the Equinox and Blazer SUVs and the Silverado pickup truck.

(and not burn down your house, they forgot to add.)
The Bolt like so many other models from so many manufacturers was rushed and was never ready for prime time. Certainly the battery fires helped bring its demise. The factory that produced the Bolt is being re-tooled for the much higher profit margin line of electric trucks (Sierra/Silverado).

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Apr 10, 2012
Las Terrenas
You have to be rich to buy Honda or Toyota here in DR.

A Honda CR-V 2023 $56K US Dollars.

JJ

We bought a new Suzuki Jimny GLX 4 passenger car from their store in Santo Domingo in October 2021 for $26,000. It's a great vehicle for the crappy roads in the DR. Comes standard with A/C, automatic transmission, power everything and 4WD on demand.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
We bought a new Suzuki Jimny GLX 4 passenger car from their store in Santo Domingo in October 2021 for $26,000. It's a great vehicle for the crappy roads in the DR. Comes standard with A/C, automatic transmission, power everything and 4WD on demand.
How do you like it?

There always seems to be quite a few on supercarros.