SANTO DOMINGO vs SANTIAGO

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
I don’t doubt that, it’s a growing city but we are comparing the 2 cities overall, not just the traffic.

I do know that the traffic is insanely worst in Santo Domingo and that’s a fact!
You're problably right but today was great in the capital. I drove from San Isidro to Paintini and back after 12 noon ish. No problems either way. The new wall looks great too.

Reactions: Castro156

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
One has to learn "how" to drive in Santo Domingo. It is an art that is only acquired by years of observing other drivers.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
Why would you move to a Caribbean island and live in a big city with crazy traffic and no beach?!?
Very easy answer; Business ! My Business is located in Santo Domingo and i have clients from every corner of the country. I don't know if it is culture or dominicans are just used to it, but they like to "vamos a la capital" to get things done. I could locate my business only 20 miles from Santo Domingo and i promise you that i would have to shut down within a month. NOT EVERYBODY IN THIS FORUM IS HERE ON LIVELONG VACATION. I hope i could answer your question.

jenmar237

Aug 8, 2017
I don’t doubt that, it’s a growing city but we are comparing the 2 cities overall, not just the traffic.

I do know that the traffic is insanely worst in Santo Domingo and that’s a fact!
Comparing the two cities overall, Santo Domingo is unrivaled and unmatched in shopping/dining/accessible amenities, it's like comparing Miami to Fort Lauderdale. As others have mentioned, the Capital has the Zona Colonial--a major gem the city has that no other place on the island does. Yes, there is alot of traffic, just as would be expected for the largest city in the Caribbean and not much different than other major cities in the LatAm region with large populations. The supposed low traffic and cleanliness of Santiago is a myth and greatly exaggerated as once you step out of the more affluent areas one immediately sees cleanliness is not really athat consistent. With Abel Martinez no longer, or soon to not be any longer at the helm, it remains to be seen if what he started will be maintained. If there's any place that can "brag" about cleanliness that would be Bani--no other town or city on the island rivals them on this. SDQ may not have mountains, but there is easy access to such scenery via places like San Jose de Ocoa, San Juan de la Maguana, etc. There is ridiculoulsy easy access to beaches, not just Boca Chica (which you can either love it/hate it) but there's quick/easy access to beaches such as Juan Dolio, Bayahibe and others along the southern coast.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
The supposed low traffic and cleanliness of Santiago is a myth and greatly exaggerated as once you step out of the more affluent areas one immediately sees cleanliness is not really a that consistent.
I've lived in Santiago for 9 years (as of June) and it is by far the cleanest city on the island.
Thank you Abel Martinez.

jenmar237

Aug 8, 2017
I've lived in Santiago for 9 years (as of June) and it is by far the cleanest city on the island.
Thank you Abel Martinez.
I've seen more than just the affluent areas and what you're saying does not add up. But to each their own perspective I guess.

• Love
Reactions: JD Jones

Castro156

Oct 9, 2011
NEW YORK
Comparing the two cities overall, Santo Domingo is unrivaled and unmatched in shopping/dining/accessible amenities, it's like comparing Miami to Fort Lauderdale. As others have mentioned, the Capital has the Zona Colonial--a major gem the city has that no other place on the island does. Yes, there is alot of traffic, just as would be expected for the largest city in the Caribbean and not much different than other major cities in the LatAm region with large populations. The supposed low traffic and cleanliness of Santiago is a myth and greatly exaggerated as once you step out of the more affluent areas one immediately sees cleanliness is not really athat consistent. With Abel Martinez no longer, or soon to not be any longer at the helm, it remains to be seen if what he started will be maintained. If there's any place that can "brag" about cleanliness that would be Bani--no other town or city on the island rivals them on this. SDQ may not have mountains, but there is easy access to such scenery via places like San Jose de Ocoa, San Juan de la Maguana, etc. There is ridiculoulsy easy access to beaches, not just Boca Chica (which you can either love it/hate it) but there's quick/easy access to beaches such as Juan Dolio, Bayahibe and others along the southern coast.
I’m literally always in Santiago, all over the place and I can say that it’s way way cleaner than the Capital… Im from NYC so shopping, malls and things of that nature are most definitely NOT what I’m looking in a Caribbean Country. I have Soho, Madison Ave and more choices than I can count on both hands for those type of things…

I enjoy the laid back vibes of Santiago, but that’s my opinion.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

jenmar237

Aug 8, 2017
I’m literally always in Santiago, all over the place and I can say that it’s way way cleaner than the Capital… Im from NYC so shopping, malls and things of that nature are most definitely NOT what I’m looking in a Caribbean Country. I have Soho, Madison Ave and more choices than I can count on both hands for those type of things…

I enjoy the laid back vibes of Santiago, but that’s my opinion.
Well, I'm also from NYC/NJ, and for me, regardless of the country I'm in or its weather, I like to have access to the amenities that I enjoy and Santo Domingo satisfies that for me as far as having alot more amenities comparable to what I can get in the US. If I'm in DR, I like no longer having to rely on shopping in the US to get things I like. Shopping in SoHo or Madison Ave (where I currently work) is not in my income bracket nor taste but DR has a lot or all of the stores I typically frequent at places in Northern NJ plus I enjoy the variety of restaurants and cuisines you can try in SDQ in addition to Dominican food, and this goes for both street and restaurant food. And for the history buff in me, there's nothing like strolling through and spending time in La Zona Colonial. Ultimately, what you like to do will likely dictate where you spend most of your time in DR, there's no wrong or right answer.

Reactions: Big and Castro156

jenmar237

Aug 8, 2017
I’m literally always in Santiago, all over the place and I can say that it’s way way cleaner than the Capital…
The cleanliness in the more well-to-do areas was a trademark of Abel Martinez's administration. In his exit, he certainly has not held onto that legacy as many sectors of Santiago are now complaining of lack of garbage pickup and its proliferation on the streets and sectors throughout Santiago. For your sake, I hope the new mayor reverts to and maintains what Abel Martinez had started.

Castro156

Oct 9, 2011
NEW YORK
Well, I'm also from NYC/NJ, and for me, regardless of the country I'm in or its weather, I like to have access to the amenities that I enjoy and Santo Domingo satisfies that for me as far as having alot more amenities comparable to what I can get in the US. If I'm in DR, I like no longer having to rely on shopping in the US to get things I like. Shopping in SoHo or Madison Ave (where I currently work) is not in my income bracket nor taste but DR has a lot or all of the stores I typically frequent at places in Northern NJ plus I enjoy the variety of restaurants and cuisines you can try in SDQ in addition to Dominican food, and this goes for both street and restaurant food. And for the history buff in me, there's nothing like strolling through and spending time in La Zona Colonial. Ultimately, what you like to do will likely dictate where you spend most of your time in DR, there's no wrong or right answer.

Totally agree, no right or wrong answers. Comes down to personal preference.

Castro156

Oct 9, 2011
NEW YORK
The cleanliness in the more well-to-do areas was a trademark of Abel Martinez's administration. In his exit, he certainly has not held onto that legacy as many sectors of Santiago are now complaining of lack of garbage pickup and its proliferation on the streets and sectors throughout Santiago. For your sake, I hope the new mayor reverts to and maintains what Abel Martinez had started.
We can only hope…

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I've seen more than just the affluent areas and what you're saying does not add up. But to each their own perspective I guess.
My wife's cousins live in El rosal area of Santo Domingo Easte and it is very clean, but he niece lives in Alma Rosa and it is filthy. Most of Santiago is clean but yes there are some areas that aren't. This is true for most cities but garbage pickup in Santo Domingo seems pretty bad.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
My wife's cousins live in El rosal area of Santo Domingo Easte and it is very clean, but he niece lives in Alma Rosa and it is filthy. Most of Santiago is clean but yes there are some areas that aren't. This is true for most cities but garbage pickup in Santo Domingo seems pretty bad.
Alma Rosa and San Isidro leave a lot to be desired. Not a big fan and wouldn't live there, but both are cleaner than Boca Chica (as are most septic systems).

Also, in going to San Isidro, it has just about anything you want.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I've never been to any of the "affluent" areas you speak of, unless you count passing thru Villa Olga down Duarte on my way to Moca. Abel has the trash collectors working 7 days a week all around the city and it is by far the cleanest city in the country and it really sucks he's not going to be our Mayor anymore.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016

I remember when Alma Rosa was a nice area many moons ago.