Satelite dish which direction?

Paulino

Jan 4, 2002
MrMike said:
Well I don't know, that's what they tell people who live in the states. Maybe they word the instructions that way to confuse people who live in other places. All I can say for sure is that I have a kickass satellite setup now.

Well I suppose being located "just south of Houston" only refers to the satellite's location east/west on the Clarke Belt and nothing more.

Anyway, what size and kind of dish do you have? Did you get it in Santiago? Do you know if there are motorized dishes available (if yours isn't)?

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Paulino said:
Well I suppose being located "just south of Houston" only refers to the satellite's location east/west on the Clarke Belt and nothing more.

Anyway, what size and kind of dish do you have? Did you get it in Santiago? Do you know if there are motorized dishes available (if yours isn't)?

Mine's not motorized, and for DirecTV doesn't need to be. If you check the classified section of the newspaper (Listin Diario) you should be able to find a few for sale, the local made ones work fine (like mine) and run around RD10k.

If you can get your receiver and LNB in the states, these are very expensive here, for example a 50 dollar receiver can run up to 300 bucks here. You can usually get these for free or almost free if you take out a legit subscription to the service, and maybe a Tivo as well.

My next project is going to be setting up a Tivo, but I still may try to get Freevo going if I can find a good capture card in the near future.

I have heard there are TV capture cards that can receive satellite signals and possibly even decode scrambled signals, this would be interesting indeed.

Paulino

Jan 4, 2002
MrMike said:
Mine's not motorized, and for DirecTV doesn't need to be. If you check the classified section of the newspaper (Listin Diario) you should be able to find a few for sale, the local made ones work fine (like mine) and run around RD10k.

If you can get your receiver and LNB in the states, these are very expensive here, for example a 50 dollar receiver can run up to 300 bucks here. You can usually get these for free or almost free if you take out a legit subscription to the service, and maybe a Tivo as well.

My next project is going to be setting up a Tivo, but I still may try to get Freevo going if I can find a good capture card in the near future.

I have heard there are TV capture cards that can receive satellite signals and possibly even decode scrambled signals, this would be interesting indeed.

Thanks for your feedback. I am actually planning to focus (pun intended) on DishNet, which has transponders on satellites located at several different locations along the Clarke belt, like 110 W and 119 W. For a tuner I intend to bring a DreamBox from here (Europe) and flash (upgrade) it with US compatible image software, which I already have on my harddrive. I am investigating the feasibility at the moment.

TV Satellite capture pci slot type cards come in different brands and flavors. One that's supposed to be good is manufactured by Technisat in Germany. Actually there are several, with or without a CAM slot for encrypted/scrambled signals. A CAM (Conditional Access Module) is a PCMCIA type of module that you put a smart card - official or unofficial - into, to clear the signal. Sometimes it is even enough to use a CAM which has everything software-programmed, meaning you don't even need a separate smart card.

TONITO

Jan 29, 2004
dtv recvers

MrMike said:

i have 5 dtv recivers in da states can i sell them here have access cards also