Satellite Adjustment?

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
C'mon, you know i'm just pulling your chain! The first time it happened, I truly didn't think I was doing anything wrong and Robert came crashing down on me! I had no idea who he was and said to him "Who are you tell me what I can and cannot do on this site?" He then informed me that he owned it and I was spamming (verb). Water under the bridge now, all in good fun!
Steve

We always have newbies on the board ... It helps to explain things.

Just generally, back to satellite TV services, (which I know little about) ... our partners down in Juan Dolio explains that the Dominican Dishes are fine for TV but not fine for internet services. I've always wanted to do a manufacturing facility for top class dishes that could service the Caribbean and Central America. But alas .. too much money, too small a market and I'm not into serious manufacturing either. ;)

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Hey Don, two things. Are you happy with them? How much did they cost?
I am wondering why you went with the 2 dishes when you can gey both 110 and 119 satellites using the bracket for the lnb's?
Just curious,
Steve

As far as cost: I am asked by my friends what I paid for something, I usually reply, I don't know. If I bought it, I must have been able to afford it! And with the exchange rate always changing, it's hard for me to go back into history and figure out what I paid in dollars. My wife saids we paid 10,000 pesos each and that was several years ago, mounting stands were included. I thought I got them for a little less than that, but as I said, once I buy something, price becomes history and I forget about it.

In reality, cost was a factor, my third dish, which I bougth first is a Channel Master and I paid like $750 U.S. for it. (See, I remember the money when it is in dollars).

Why 2 dishes: Space and also I could afford it at the time. I have the space for multiple dishes. My thoughts also were that the signal would be better with separate dishes. At one point I did play with a bracket and got 2 satellites, but was not happy with the fine tune, jury rig bracket I made. Also, I actually have 3 dishes. Used them for DirecTV and Dish. Now that DirecTV is history here for me, will tune the third dish to 97 (T5?) to pick up the International channels, my wife likes to watch belly dancers. I thought of continuing the bracket idea and just buy one Dominican dish, but what the heck, with separate dishes I would have more flexibility to play with other satellites. I am an electronic gadget nut, do all my own security, etc. Even the White House would be impressed here.

Am I happy with them: Yes, I re-painted the brackets and bolts for corrosion protection.

I originally mounted mine on the roof, but later, after 9-11 I became more security aware, so I removed them and mounted them at ground level, behind my 7 foot fence wall. Three dishes made me look like a very rich American, so I hid them.

I figured the signal lost from 12 feet high to zero feet high would not be too much.
(That's a joke!).

PS: Steve, that was 3 questions, and not two.... lol ;)

mart1n

Jul 13, 2006
Does any one know about the FTA viewsat being sold now in this country are clones or not. The pansats sold here by one company were.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Does any one know about the FTA viewsat being sold now in this country are clones or not. The pansats sold here by one company were.

What price are they asking for them here?

I have a Viewsat Extreme, but it is in the states......

Don 's Santiago DR

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
... our partners down in Juan Dolio explains that the Dominican Dishes are fine for TV but not fine for internet services. ;)

The Internet service dishes are of a different shape/design plus they receive and transmit. Perhaps that is the reason Satellite TV ones are not good for Internet service.

webmacon

Jul 4, 2006
caribbeanostriches.com
FTA's

PM me for receivers, have normally all models.
Stay away from Didgtal TV or something like that, seen the receivers they advertise cheap in the news papers and they are all clones.

Can also supply dishes any size needed.

Regarding the question I've seen before about Direct TV .... channels gettings lost because they slowly move the satellite and you would need now and even more in the near future at least an 8 foot dish.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
I got a report from one very experienced user of satellite equipment to be careful about Dominican made dishes. He told me they tend to warp after several months and then the signal may be degraded. Does anyone else have such experiences?

Yes, that is our experience with trying out one only .. But then again, if you look closely, you see very old Dominican dishes still working fine. I think it has something to do with quality control in the manufacturing process.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I got a report from one very experienced user of satellite equipment to be careful about Dominican made dishes. He told me they tend to warp after several months and then the signal may be degraded. Does anyone else have such experiences?.

The two I bought a couple years ago are working great, signal level very good.
Excellent near 100 for the Puerto Rico / Virgin Island channels ofcourse.

Don Pedro

Apr 2, 2005
I have a Dominican made dishes for 18 month no problem . The brand is Astro.
I think there is difference between Astro and others.
Astro is made at San Cristobal.

Bok

Mar 13, 2004
Interesting, webmacon

channels gettings lost because they slowly move the satellite

Why is an 8' dish necessary, wouldn't it be possible to aim my current 6' dish at the new satellite position and get all the lost channels back?

Some channels I was never able to pick up, like Golf Channel or Comedy Central. The guys bringing me the card said I could only get those with a bigger dish. Would 8' do the trick and why is 8' necessary for the future?

:pirate:

Don Pedro

Apr 2, 2005
Concerning Astro Dish

Astro 's address looks a classified document !

Nodoby knows where they are...but products are on the market.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Why is an 8' dish necessary, wouldn't it be possible to aim my current 6' dish at the new satellite position and get all the lost channels back?

Some channels I was never able to pick up, like Golf Channel or Comedy Central. The guys bringing me the card said I could only get those with a bigger dish. Would 8' do the trick and why is 8' necessary for the future?

Unless your have 2 dishes or one of those rigged "2 LNB's" to pick up the 2 satellites 119 & 110, you cannot pick up both Golf and Comedy as they transmit on 2 different satellites. Maybe that's what why your guy proposed a bigger dish and (Probably) the "rigged" LNB's. An 8' would probably be better than a 6 in that case even though 2 seperate 6' dishes are your best bet. As for satellites moving???? First I've heard. Haven't had to realign my dishes in years. Only a touch up on a warped one (Cheap Local) after many years in the hot sun.

OOPS - Gotta revise my post. Just realized you probably are using DTV. Then YES you will need a bigger dish. Dave has changed the footprint and the signal is a lot weaker. I've been told that the signal on the south coast is very weak.

Bok

Mar 13, 2004
Thanks Eddy

Just realized you probably are using DTV. Then YES you will need a bigger dish. Dave has changed the footprint and the signal is a lot weaker. I've been told that the signal on the south coast is very weak.

You're right, DTV is what I have.
I'm not exactly sure what a footprint is but I have a general idea and it would explain the fading signal/missing channels if it has changed.
But I don't know who Dave is and why he changed the footprint (that bastard!)

A bigger dish might be the only solution to the problem. I just don't like the idea of investing in another SETI project to watch TV. Well, I do like sports watching sports.....