Save the dogs

boricuaonline

Jun 1, 2003
There are two cute puppies on Emotions by Hodelpa beach area, Juan Dolio, I fell in love with them. I do not see a bright future for them, they are skinny with fleas. I gave them food during my stay. I hope someone that read this rescues both of them. I have pictures but I do not know how to upload here.

Reactions: irishpaddy

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
There are two cute puppies on Emotions by Hodelpa beach area, Juan Dolio, I fell in love with them. I do not see a bright future for them, they are skinny with fleas. I gave them food during my stay. I hope someone that read this rescues both of them. I have pictures but I do not know how to upload here.
yes I am sure those cute puppies need food...but maybe a Dominican child would be a better place to give a helping hand........

Reactions: Big and NanSanPedro

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
There was someone looking for chihuahuas recently and I found a couple of rescues in SD.
I’ll message them and see if they have the time or resources to check out these JD dogs.

Boricua if you see this, and are in a position to help in the future, there are DR rescues looking for people to take adopted strays back to Canada/US families. I did this a few times for a rescue in Punta Cana, and it was simple and easy. No charge to you besides a few extra minutes at the airport.

Reactions: PICHARDO

boricuaonline

Jun 1, 2003
There was someone looking for chihuahuas recently and I found a couple of rescues in SD.
I’ll message them and see if they have the time or resources to check out these JD dogs.

Boricua if you see this, and are in a position to help in the future, there are DR rescues looking for people to take adopted strays back to Canada/US families. I did this a few times for a rescue in Punta Cana, and it was simple and easy. No charge to you besides a few extra minutes at the airport.
I wished to take them home, somebody I know from DR told me there is a process before taking them home . I saw them during my last day of my trip, according to employees they live there.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I was just in contact with the director of Dogs and Cats of the DR :

They are completely overloaded with animals to re-home. There is no more "room at the Inn" so to speak.

I don't think the airlines, even Canadian ones, are as good about bringing pets for free as they used to be, can anyone confirm that?

janlindy

Mar 8, 2011
DCDR has done fund raising and have sent 2 private planes so far this year due to the overcrowding. It's very expensive and time consuming but they were able to do it. A very dedicated group .

Reactions: Auryn

Gadfly

Jul 7, 2016
You can find homeless street dogs MANY places here. Adopt one when possible. Clean em up w/meds etc they will be forever grateful and loving

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
The island definitely needs a humane euthanization program. There are way too many stray animals suffering.

Rather a strong spay and neutering law in the books for all pets sold, including private home birthed ones.

This would bring down those numbers a good 😌 many.

Instead of tossing pets to the streets, people would be fighting for the next one ☝️ to adopt...

Reactions: janlindy

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
I wished to take them home, somebody I know from DR told me there is a process before taking them home . I saw them during my last day of my trip, according to employees they live there.
They have to be vet checked, cleared of fleas or any other parasites, up to date on shots, and given a clean bill of health to travel. It takes a few months but there’s always dogs needing homes, everywhere on the planet.

Rescátame Punta Cana is the rescue I worked with. I will ask them if Covid has put a major damper on things for them.

They implement a sterilization campaign that had made a big difference there on the local viralata (virUlata?) population.

Its not the be all end all solution, responsible dog ownership is. In the meantime, spaying, neutering, adopting strays, and supporting rescues helps a lot.

janlindy

Mar 8, 2011
WE currently have dog fights in our neighborhood due a bitch in heat. After fixing up the hurt ones, I tried talking to the owners - I was told " it is NOT natural " and all refused. I keep trying .

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
WE currently have dog fights in our neighborhood due a bitch in heat. After fixing up the hurt ones, I tried talking to the owners - I was told " it is NOT natural " and all refused. I keep trying .
You might be wasting your time....Just maybe.