Scotia Bank - again!

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
just take a look at the balance sheets of these banks in Canada... its an oligopoly ... just 5 of them.

they're all rich and solid...

when I left Canada in 1995, they were ecstatic about each of them making $1B/year
$-5 yrs later, they were making $1B /qtr

They bought all the brokerage firms and big real estate companies

Wealth mgt issues -- we own the brokerage firms
Mortgage issues - we own the real estate firms - we sell it to you, we finance it

Pretty simple -- and extremely effective

And right now at this moment is a good time to pick up some CDN bank stocks as they have been beaten down to smithereens last few months as the CAD implodes... I recommend buying BNS and TD for LONG TERM holds and the nice divi..

BlondeJustice

May 28, 2014
I have a ScotiaBank account here in Canada. When I'm in the DR all I use is my ScotiaBank Card. I feel so rich when I see my account balance in DRpesos. I have other bank accounts in Canada. All of my banking and bill paying is done through the internet so the only time I use my ScotiaBank card is for cash withdrawals. I've used my card at ATM's throughout the DR. Never had a problem. Oh, except that one time at Easter when all the ATM's ran out of cash. The beauty of it is that with my Scotia "senior" account I'm not paying any banking fees.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Back in Canada now and I hear that Scotia canada has an RD promotion going for RD mortgages.... I haven't found any link yet.

A Toronto real estate company mentioned it in discussion of listing our property in Cabrera (Cabrera, AE !).

I'll try to find more.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
This thread had better become about DR or it's history.

Commas...

History of the Dominican Republic, from wikipedia.

The recorded history of the Dominican Republic began on 5 December 1492 when the European navigator Christopher Columbus happened upon a large island in the region of the western Atlantic Ocean that later came to be known as the Caribbean. It was inhabited by the Ta?no, an Arawakan people, who variously called their island Ayiti, Bohio, or Quisqueya (Kiskeya). Columbus promptly claimed the island for the Spanish Crown, naming it La Isla Espa?ola ("the Spanish Island"), later Latinized to Hispaniola. What would become the Dominican Republic was the Spanish Captaincy General of Santo Domingo until 1821 except for a time as a French colony from 1795 to 1809. It was then part of a unified Hispaniola with Haiti from 1821 until 1844. In 1844, Dominican independence was proclaimed and the republic, which was often known as Santo Domingo until the early 20th century, maintained its independence except for a short Spanish occupation from 1861 to 1865 and occupation by the United States from 1916 to 1924.