SD US Embassy Issues

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
I have been having hard time to reach them to make an appointment for US Child Report Birth Abroad for my daughter and it says go to this website:

So I did and checked there is NO available slot but if I choose Passport, it has slots available. I don't understand.

How or is is there other way to get an appt? I will be in DR for whole month in June so I am trying to get this done.

Thanks

• Wow
Reactions: irsav

irsav

Jan 26, 2019
I have been having hard time to reach them to make an appointment for US Child Report Birth Abroad for my daughter and it says go to this website:

So I did and checked there is NO available slot but if I choose Passport, it has slots available. I don't understand.

How or is is there other way to get an appt? I will be in DR for whole month in June so I am trying to get this done.

Thanks
Same thing.
I send them a question. And receive a response NOT RELATED TO MY QUESTION AT ALL!
Are their staff members Americans or Dominicans?

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Same thing.
I send them a question. And receive a response NOT RELATED TO MY QUESTION AT ALL!
Are their staff members Americans or Dominicans?

All consular staff is 100% US citizens.

Services for US citizens is rendered by the embassy itself. You can visit or make arrangements to speak with someone there.

irsav

Jan 26, 2019
All consular staff is 100% US citizens.

Services for US citizens is rendered by the embassy itself. You can visit or make arrangements to speak with someone there.
In Russia 80% were Russians. Now Pukin banned Russians from working in foreign companies. And US Consulate in Moscow shut down.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011

Thanks

Keep checking regularly, as spots for appointments May randomly appear....and disappear.

If you need an emergency appointment, and you can prove it, send an email to SDOAmericans@state.gov
Subject: "URGENT".

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
I wish I could say something good about US Embassy. I....cannot. For smaller issues, I've been much better served by the Consulate in POP. But one can't use them for everything. I guess the best thing is that the appointee is an openly gay man in a committed relationship. Let the HATE pour!

Reactions: USA DOC

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
My point sorta was that perhaps for some Dominicans, a gay man---whatever, in a committed relationship---might be hard to think about. And so I think that's some kind of progress. It has NOTHING to do with the way the Embassy functions....which is EXACTLY my point. Gay/crippled/crazy/8 to 80: Is the job getting done?

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
The US Embassy still really s*x. Horrible part of town; one might assume that as soon as one arrives, English would be spoken. (I don't care, bc my Spanish is OK...but it's the US-effin Embassy, and not one single person on the street speaks English: my experience: perhaps it's changed)

No signage; surrender phones, tablets, laptops, with no facturas or anything about getting them back And BTW, you might be in process for so long that by the time you get back downstairs---guess what?---all of the people in charge of your stuff have gone home.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I dunno. Like I'm not the first person to jack a thread. I just thought it was interesting...in a gaily forward/straight ahead kinda way? So sue me. Better yet: block me.
Good idea from a racist point of view. "...interesting in a gaily.." Or, sharpen your parsing skills :)

• Wow
Reactions: Meemselle

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
If you want to be truely insulted and lied to ... go to the US embassey and and talk to those young Dominican men thet work at the social secuirity dept....You willl have your proper amount of abuse in about 5 minutes...........

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Once again, I get flamed.

Just trying to share my personal experience with US Embassy---as a US citizen---i

First of all: it's in a dicey part of SD. I am no virgin about dicey neighborhoods. There are no decent hotels even close to the US Embassy, so you're going to have to take a pretty long taxi ride.

You cannot bring ANY ELECTRONICS: not a cellphone/kindle nada into the premises. The staff on the street are very large, vey handsome Dominicans who speak zero english, so don't expect any answers street-side.

You cannot bring yr phone inside. They DON'T have lockers inside. They will tell you that there are storage lockers about 2 blocks away, but they will not give you any info about how to get there or do that, bc that would be some kind of cahoots. So you're at the mercy of your driver.

So, you basically go there, with your appointment, and you wait & wait & wait, & then when you are done---unless you have a driver waiting for perhaps 6 hours---you have to hoof it over to the storage lockers to collect your phone.

Listen: The accident of my birth in the US does not confer any kind of special privilege. Having said that, the US Embassy in DR is not the best place. I had a better experience with the US Embassy in Hong Kong.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Yes, definitely not a nice area nor a nice looking embassy - pretty stark and grim looking. The two times I went there there wasn't even an American flag flying. Parking is somewhat limited about two blocks away where you can store your phone. If they're full, you'll be looking for a parking space somewhere on the street even further away. Only those with appointments were allowed to go in. Friends, spouses, etc. accompanying you are not even allowed to wait outside. They have to go two blocks away and sit up on a hill and sit there and watch for you to come out.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Yes, definitely not a nice area nor a nice looking embassy - pretty stark and grim looking. The two times I went there there wasn't even an American flag flying. Parking is somewhat limited about two blocks away where you can store your phone. If they're full, you'll be looking for a parking space somewhere on the street even further away. Only those with appointments were allowed to go in. Friends, spouses, etc. accompanying you are not even allowed to wait outside. They have to go two blocks away and sit up on a hill and sit there and watch for you to come out.
I think it was designed specifically that way. Anybody remember the clustertruck the old one was on Maximo Gomez?

Reactions: PCMike

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Once again, I get flamed.

Just trying to share my personal experience with US Embassy---as a US citizen---i

First of all: it's in a dicey part of SD. I am no virgin about dicey neighborhoods. There are no decent hotels even close to the US Embassy, so you're going to have to take a pretty long taxi ride.

You cannot bring ANY ELECTRONICS: not a cellphone/kindle nada into the premises. The staff on the street are very large, vey handsome Dominicans who speak zero english, so don't expect any answers street-side.

You cannot bring yr phone inside. They DON'T have lockers inside. They will tell you that there are storage lockers about 2 blocks away, but they will not give you any info about how to get there or do that, bc that would be some kind of cahoots. So you're at the mercy of your driver.

So, you basically go there, with your appointment, and you wait & wait & wait, & then when you are done---unless you have a driver waiting for perhaps 6 hours---you have to hoof it over to the storage lockers to collect your phone.

Listen: The accident of my birth in the US does not confer any kind of special privilege. Having said that, the US Embassy in DR is not the best place. I had a better experience with the US Embassy in Hong Kong.
All the experiences I have had at that embassy were bad ,all 3 times...on the last visit a Dominican lady friend told me... this embassy is for Dominicans to get visas, not for americans to ask stupid questions...she was right...........