Se fue la luz - 24/7

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
but they can be assured to have electricity and water all the time.
of course such comfy thingy comes for a price, specially in a developing country where the vast mayority of the population would not know what constant elec/water supply would be, as they don't know about such.

Mike

maybe that is a good thing, Mike. last World Cup, the electricity went off at half time. i had to get the result when the lights came back, hours later. if i had a nuke, i would have blown up Edenorte. the Dominicans just took the outage like every other one...just a day in the life. i wish i could do it.

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
I am a ten minute walk from where you live and things have been crazy last couple of months with not only the electricity but water. My building has been without water several times. Lack of water doesn't last long because the Yipetta, Benz, Lexus driving tenants raise Hell right quick and a water truck shows up.

Back to the UPS, all depending on how much you want to spend but you can go with an APC 1500VA or larger to keep modem and laptop running. Not sure why the full planta is not running. The planta at my building has been churning seems like most of the day every day.

Ahh you live with the Ricos, I live with the middle class, the Toyota, Hyundai, driving people. We had our issue with water, it was a busted unground pipe. Still took a week to repair. Well the power is back on, saw some workers working on the transformer. What's up with these things, it seems if you look at them sideways they blow.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Ahh you live with the Ricos, I live with the middle class, the Toyota, Hyundai, driving people. We had our issue with water, it was a busted unground pipe. Still took a week to repair. Well the power is back on, saw some workers working on the transformer. What's up with these things, it seems if you look at them sideways they blow.

be asured, they really do.
i my 20 years on the Isle i observed 2 blowing up with my own eyes and one i heard blowing up just a hundred meters from the window on the mainstreet.

Mike

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
maybe that is a good thing, Mike. last World Cup, the electricity went off at half time. i had to get the result when the lights came back, hours later. if i had a nuke, i would have blown up Edenorte. the Dominicans just took the outage like every other one...just a day in the life. i wish i could do it.

Hellyeah.
of course it is a good thing.
i live with 24/7 electricity myself here, i don't want it different.
last bill been 4.900.- pesos, no A/C in use,
but well worth the money spent.

Mike

Feb 7, 2007
last bill been 4.900.- pesos, no A/C in use,

That is price gauging.
I pay 800 pesos for non-AC usage per month.
AC is on a different account.
I am on 24/7 circuit with occasional blackouts (according to CDEE stats the circuit has an uptime of about 97-98%), and I have an inverter with 2 batteries.
4900-800 = 4100 per month saving = 49,200 per year
with that money I buy an inverter and the batteries, and I can also buy a round trip ticket back to Europe for Christmas.

Feb 7, 2007
Mike, did you know that a ceiling fan may consume about the same wattage as an Inverter AC with high enough SEER rating, during several hours usage (e.g. 8 hour night)?

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Mike, did you know that a ceiling fan may consume about the same wattage as an Inverter AC with high enough SEER rating, during several hours usage (e.g. 8 hour night)?

thats correct.
2 are already replacedby new less consuming ones, the other 3 will follow soon.
JD,
we use the 220V low consumption bulbs.
luckily they last many long years without breaking, as they are hard to get by here.
we bring some replacement from our europe vacations.

Mike

Feb 7, 2007
I'm guessing you don't have low consumption light bulbs either.

But if you're happy paying 4900 a month, more power to ya.

I think the price CEPM charges for each kWh is around 14 pesos. That's 350 kWh. With EdeEste that would be slightly more than 1500 pesos per month.

Cannot speak for Mike, but I am a "conservation" freak.... there is one single 16W bulb at night at my apartment, in the kitchen, which actually provides illumination in the living area and the hallway as well.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
I think the price CEPM charges for each kWh is around 14 pesos. That's 350 kWh. With EdeEste that would be slightly more than 1500 pesos per month.

Cannot speak for Mike, but I am a "conservation" freak.... there is one single 16W bulb at night at my apartment, in the kitchen, which actually provides illumination in the living area and the hallway as well.

last months bill been 394KWHrs consumed for RD$11.92.- per KW for RD$4.905,48.- monthly.
the month before been just 348KWHrs consumed, the price was RD$12.50.- per KW for RD$4.562,00.- monthly.
hard to be a "conservation" freak with dominican girls in the house, lol.
my tired eyes need a good light on here til late night for my readings,
but i am sure the Fans are the big buggers on the list.
i know what you mean, a single european male in the house,
even here at the big place i would consume for myself just a fraction of the actual total.
the price for sweet Island Life, and the girls are worth it.

Mike

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

I'm with rubio. We don't leave lights on in rooms that are vacant, and at night in DR we usually lock up the front of the house, shut all the lights, and sit out back on our terrazzo awhile with several candles burning, and usually a couple of sticks of incense [seems to keep the mosquitos away - we also planted a lot of mint around the perimeter of the terrazzo, for the same reason]. We're not 'saving money' because our house has been on a fixed contract forever - it just seems like the thing to do.

Would be different with kids in the house

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
There is no consumer brand UPS that I am aware of on the market to keep a screen, computer and modem running for 4 hours. Extended run times is what an inverter and a bank of batteries are for. A UPS as mentioned is to give you time to safely shutdown after finishing that most important DR1 post and temporarily correcting over/under voltage conditions.

The planta may be shut down to change the oil.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
and at night in DR we usually lock up the front of the house, shut all the lights, and sit out back on our terrazzo awhile with several candles burning, and usually a couple of sticks of incense

Would be different with kids in the house

Ahh, you forgot:

[video=youtube;wz3uzyttKGA?list=PL0311B10C5CA6F473]x[/video]

in the background playing.

No wonder it would be different with kids in the house. lol

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
thats right,
basically it is not about the saving of money only,
it is about the principle to not waste what is not needed to be consumed.
i guess i could write a book about the "learning years", when you move in with dominicans, lol.
it starts with simple FREE stuff, like water.
on washing day the hose been running water from early morning til the girls finished washing(including Telenovela breaks and cooking breaks) somewhere in the afternoon.
such drives me crazy and will never be accepted of course.
it takes a long time to get such things "done", but worth the affords of course.
same goes for electricity,
like Turn off the ****ing Fan when you are not in that room,
of course turn them all off before you leave the house alone, turn off the TV's and other unused appliances, too.
Kids bring a little different consumption level of different things to a house.
sure you teach them from the beginning the correct behavior, my youngest told her Mom more than once to shut down a appliance which is not in use, and she is proud to catch her Mother on "wrong doing", gooood.
but they play all day in and around the house, in an out, up and down, you have more stuff running than it would be the case for a couple alone.
it works perfect for the single.
when the Mrs and the Breed visit Gra'Ma in Santiago, mostly for 2-3 weeks at a time,
i have only the needed stuff running and only in the room where i am present at the moment.
it sure shows on those electricity bills, too, then.

Mike