Seat Belt Ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
When was the last
Last July. Paid at the bank.
While I'm sure the law associates the driver with the offense, AMET officers remember the car. Several officers have told that they watche for the cars that have been stopped in the past.

Are you telling us that the AMET officers are actually watching for cars ticketed in the past because they have checked who paid and who did not?

This is total BS, and when you come back to Sosua, because it is not possible that you live in the DR, I will take you to the boss of the AMET and prove you wrong. Just PM me when you get here.

Ricardo

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
Last July. Paid at the bank.
Well now you know that the process has changed by disposition of President Leonel Fern?ndez.

While I'm sure the law associates the driver with the offense, AMET officers remember the car. Several officers have told that they watche for the cars that have been stopped in the past.

I can not argue either way on the practices of the typical AMET officer but, no doubt, the traffic cops could and probably do keep an eye out for prior law breakers ;) It's standard op procedure for law enforcement agents to follow up on known infractors. :) ;) :bunny:

NotLurking

Mar 2, 2008
Sky,
I am glad you are so positive of your position, but I'm only relaying my limited experience.

If what I experienced isn't representitive of the official process, that's okay. I don't make the rules, nor do I know every rule that is written. If you do that's great. I'm only offering a little piece I observed. If it's worthwhile then people can to add to lots of other little pieces that other people have observed. If isn't not then disregard it. If everyone saw things in exactly the same way there would be no need for forums such as this.

Not everything is black and white, and not everything is done according to the way you, or anyone else, thinks it should be done.

You are very quick to jump on anyone who offers a somewhat different take on things, but I appreciate other people's perspectives. I believe it's always good to get as many different points of view as possible.

If it is that important for you to feel you're always right, then hey, you're right once again, and I am mistaken. The AMET officers couldn't care less about what cars they have stopped previously, so you don't concern yourself.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Sky,
I am glad you are so positive of your position, but I'm only relaying my limited experience.

If what I experienced isn't representitive of the official process, that's okay. I don't make the rules, nor do I know every rule that is written. If you do that's great. I'm only offering a little piece I observed. If it's worthwhile then people can to add to lots of other little pieces that other people have observed. If isn't not then disregard it. If everyone saw things in exactly the same way there would be no need for forums such as this.

Not everything is black and white, and not everything is done according to the way you, or anyone else, thinks it should be done.

You are very quick to jump on anyone who offers a somewhat different take on things, but I appreciate other people's perspectives. I believe it's always good to get as many different points of view as possible.

If it is that important for you to feel you're always right, then hey, you're right once again, and I am mistaken. The AMET officers couldn't care less about what cars they have stopped previously, so you don't concern yourself.

If I am wrong I will say I am wrong, but in this case I am not, and if that bothers you so be it.

Mar 2, 2008
It doesn't bother me in the slightest. Please actually read what I wrote. I think it's great you are right.

I just think there are many areas of gray out there, which you rarely consider. To me, it's not a question of something, or someone, being either right or wrong. It is a question of getting as much information as possible from as many different perspectives as possible, and understanding there is much complexity and ambiguity in the world.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
It doesn't bother me in the slightest. Please actually read what I wrote. I think it's great you are right.

I just think there are many areas of gray out there, which you rarely consider. To me, it's not a question of something, or someone, being either right or wrong. It is a question of getting as much information as possible from as many different perspectives as possible, and understanding there is much complexity and ambiguity in the world.

Or maybe it is just that someone that actually lives in a place full time for many years, and knows a lot of people, might know a lot more than an occasional visitor such as yourself.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
the arguement about not living here full time doesnt work ....people that come here for a week might have an experience that someone living here has not experienced....errrm such as getting arrested for example

Reactions: FernieBee

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Are you telling us that the AMET officers are actually watching for cars ticketed in the past because they have checked who paid and who did not?

I don't know that the technology even exists to be able to do this. Last road block I got stopped in (plain clothed & PN not AMET) they were checking on registration plates & you had to wait until they had phoned the central point to get confirmation. I know because I accidentally attempted to drive off before they had finished getting the answer on my reg. number & I got a hefty thwack on the jeepeta roof to make me stay put! :cheeky:

I know we were told computerisation of AMET would enable them to access all sorts of data in their police vehicles, but I have yet to see this in operation. Has anyone else seen it?

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Wow...

Well, for what it's worth... I will report back how it turns out in a couple months when I attempt to pay my Seatbelt Ticket.

Unless of course, I am BillyClubbed, shackled and thrown into prison. In which case please organize a commitee to plan a fund raiser at Rocky's, and deliver me a case of Presidente's and a (muy flaca) chica once a week.

trabajadora

Aug 29, 2007
All I can add is that they do give tickets for not wearing your seatbelt (to the driver only I believe), but only when they feel like it. My husband and I were driving around looking for a parking space to pay our cable bill in POP when there was a setup of officers standing right alongside the Central Park. They were pulling anyone over who didn't have on a seatbelt. They made us pull over and the officer said (whatever) to my husband (I don't speak Spanish so I don't know the exact conversation) but I know he wanted my husband to get out of the car, get in the backseat, and let HIM (the officer) drive our vehicle with us in it to the station. We refused to allow him to drive our vehicle so he promptly got in the backseat himself and directed us on where to go. We had no choice but to go along and take care of the ticket as they were going to confiscate our vehicle. So while all this was being taken care of, my husband called a taxi friend of his to come and pick me up and take me back home. My husband had to go with the officer via motorcycle to take care of the fine. So I know for a fact that tickets are given out for this, but I also know it's when they feel money needs to be made and not on a regular basis.

ben oregon

Apr 20, 2008
Is only the driver who get the ticket? or it's like USA everybody in the car has to buckel up? Ido belive it's a good idea anyway to wear your seat belt ticket or not.

trabajadora

Aug 29, 2007
Is only the driver who get the ticket? or it's like USA everybody in the car has to buckel up? Ido belive it's a good idea anyway to wear your seat belt ticket or not.

I was told that here it is only the driver who is supposed to be buckled up. And of course you're right, it's a good idea for everybody to be anyway, especially with the way people drive down here. I have to admit that before I moved here, I never got in my vehicle without buckling up... even before I started the car. I got down here and fell into this awful habit of not doing it which is stupid, especially when my husband was almost killed when he totaled my rental vehicle (this was way before we were married and he wasn't wearing his belt). I wasn't in the vehicle with him at the time. He was very lucky to survive with minor injuries and that was due to the airbag.

In the past 2 weeks I've made a concerted effort to remember my seatbelt and make him do the same when I'm with him. Most importantly because it just makes common sense; especially given the fact that I used to work in Product Liability Litigation for a major auto company and had to review all sorts of photos involving fatalities due to folks not wearing their belts. Secondly because we're in the process of leaving the DR and going back to live in the U.S. so we have to make sure we're in the habit or else start saving up for ticket money.

ben oregon

Apr 20, 2008
it's a very good habit that i picked up in Oregon,same as wearing an hemlet while riding a motorcycle or a bicycle?
People do not believe that a short fall in a bicycle could kill you? they are so wrong? I experienced 2 broken neck in the street of Portland(fall into a small whole at+/- 5 miles/hour).
Please becarefull with your life, it's a precious thing ,

liam1

Bronze
Jun 9, 2004
i almost got 2 tickets at once on Pedro Clisante. one for not wearing the seat belt and 2nd for talking on the cell-phone. he said both would cost around 1500RD, then i offered to give each AMET guy 500RD and be done with it, they had a little conversation between the 2 of them, laughed, tore up the tickets and let me go, and they refused to take the money. this was about 2-3 weeks ago.

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
i was given a ticket when i was pregnant for riding the front of a concho. i was given the choice to pay it in the bank or to argue my case.

figured it was my fault so i just paid it.
i'm pretty sure that even though it's written in the lawbook that you have to try the case, it doesn't really happen that way. there are alot of things printed in those laws that are not really carried out the way they are written. and anyone who has been to the DR even once should know that.

what is law and what is enforced are two completely different things.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
i was given a ticket when i was pregnant for riding the front of a concho. i was given the choice to pay it in the bank or to argue my case.
Yes I'm sure it use to be as you state, but now, traffic tickets CAN NOT be paid without first being adjudicated. Law 12-07 which modified transit law 241, among others, establishes that all pecuniary sanctions, fines or penalties for the deferent infractions will be established (solely) by the competent tribunal. Note, the law is not retroactive.

Ley No. 12-07 de fecha 24 de enero de 2007, establece que las multas o sanciones pecuniarias para las diferentes infracciones, sean cr?menes o delitos, cuya cuant?a sea menor a la tercera parte del salario m?nimo del sector p?blico, se elevan a dicho monto, as? como eleva las contravenciones en el monto comprendido entre la quinta y tercera parte de dicho salario.

Art?culo 1. Se establece que las multas o sanciones pecuniarias para las diferentes infracciones, sean cr?menes o delitos, cuya cuant?a sea menor a la tercera parte del salario m?nimo del sector p?blico, en lo adelante se eleven a dicho monto.

Art?culo 2. Las multas o sanciones pecuniarias para los casos de contravenciones, ser?n establecidas por el tribunal competente en el monto comprendido entre la quinta y tercera parte del salario m?nimo del sector p?blico.

Art?culo 3. Se crea un fondo especial para la aplicaci?n y desarrollo del Nuevo Modelo Penitenciario, a cargo de la Procuradur?a General de la Rep?blica, para administrar todas las cobranzas obtenidas de las multas recaudadas por la indicada instituci?n, a trav?s de la aplicaci?n de la presente Ley.

Art?culo 4. Se modifican en el C?digo Penal vigente y en cualquier otra legislaci?n especial de naturaleza penal todos aquellos art?culos que establezcan multas o sanciones pecuniarias para las diferentes infracciones que les sean contrarias a la presente Ley.

My emphasis
Source: http://www.suprema.gov.do/pdf/leyes/2007/ley_12-07.pdf

figured it was my fault so i just paid it.
Good for you! You did the right thing and I wish more people would be as responsible.

i'm pretty sure that even though it's written in the lawbook that you have to try the case, it doesn't really happen that way.
Perhaps in other things I would agree with you but not in this instance. If the ticket does not designate an amount to be paid (it can't now by law) how are you going to pay it when you go to 'Banco de Reservas'? How is the teller going to charge you? She can't charge you for the ticket without the ticket being adjudicated by the 'magistrado del Ministerio P?blico' first. The magistrate will then authorize the amount to be paid for the infraction and you'll be able to pay it.

there are alot of things printed in those laws that are not really carried out the way they are written. and anyone who has been to the DR even once should know that.

what is law and what is enforced are two completely different things.
Your are quite right but when it comes to money and the control of it the state is very, very adamant in enforcing its laws. Also, the law here works much better for those that know how to work the system and have the WD40 to lubricate the cogs, nuts and bolts ;)

NotLurking

Sep 19, 2005
i got two!! one in Santiago and one in Santo Domingo.

the first one cost me a whopping 50 pesos.....but the guy took my license...baaastard

took me three days to get it back. yeah 200 non seat belt drivers went by wile he wrote the ticket

in Santo Doming I threw it out the window 50 feet after i drove away.....probably drifted down at the cops feet ha ha

it was on JFK at a huge intersection.. and a BIG black SUV pulled over in front of me while the cops was writing the ticket and cursed him out in spanish for giving the ticket!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the cop looked embarassed, but didnt skip a beat writing

yeah for the good guys! a ha ha

Luckily I had made copies of my license and left the original at my GF s house

bad bob

MovingSoon

Banned
Sep 28, 2008
www.byebyebigbrother.com
So I don't understand, did he take your original license or only a photocopy of your license? And what was the reason given for taking either the original or the copy? Were you doing something else then not wearing a seat belt that made him choose to take it?

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
So I don't understand, did he take your original license or only a photocopy of your license? And what was the reason given for taking either the original or the copy? Were you doing something else then not wearing a seat belt that made him choose to take it?

I think laurapasinifan is refering to tickets he received a while ago when AMET DID take your license for any infraction. Today Amet does not retain your driver's license and, in general, doesn't do so since Febuary 2006.
http://www.elcaribecdn.com/articulo...d=253D7B71BA8741C68D99B6DAE4FC89E1&Seccion=63

Seltbelt Tickets have not cost RD$50 since March 2007.
http://www.elcaribecdn.com/articulo...d=F22A460A751D48B4AC2B56AEB0D78560&Seccion=63

NotLurking

Status
Not open for further replies.