security camera system

santa110xyz

Oct 25, 2005
I have a friend who is looking for a security system, camera etc... could someone recommend me a knowledgeable person or company in this field. My friend is located in Sosua.

Apr 10, 2012
Las Terrenas
VERY, interesting....we thought about doing the same!

How many cameras do you have?
How long did it take to install?
What was the cost - labor and equipment?

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I suggest going for at least 1080p cameras and recorder.
Anything less and you will regret it later when you can´t identify people in the videos.

One of the biggest obstacle will be night time images.
And unfortunately the ladrones love sneaking around in the middle of the night.

Redundancy and over laping of camera images is also important to me.
Cross-over images to see if they attack the cameras.

"Protect" the cameras from easy physical access!

Last edited:

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
Don't put cameras on the walls/fence where it would be easy for bad guys to knock them down from behind.

Put them on the house pointing out to the wall/fence/gate. if anyone decides to hit the camera(s) they will have first to approach the cameras and they will be already recorded by the time the camera(s) is damaged.

Clean the cameras as often as possible. Spider web at night in IR light makes your videos unusable.

Check hard disk as often as possible. There is no point of spending money for camera system if HDD stops recording. In my experience hard disks are first things to break.

Hide your video recorder. There is no point to invest the money into the system if the bad guys can follow the cables from the cameras to video recorder and steal or destroy it.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
... Check hard disk as often as possible. There is no point of spending money for camera system if HDD stops recording. In my experience hard disks are first things to break.

WD Purple drives are the best in my opinion, specially designed for 24/7 Video recording.

I use 4 WD Purple 4TB drives in the NVR (Network Video Recorder).

Plus a standalone 2TB WD Purple drive connected to an independent 36x PTZ camera mounted 36 feet high. Great for scanning the neighborhood, especially at night, has night vision range of a few hundred feet.

Catseye

Nov 7, 2009
Rio San Juan, Dominican Republic
I have 8 cameras, half of them up high on poles in the yard.  I have vibration sensors on all the bars on my doors and windows.  I have an alarm keypad in the house as well as two hand held remotes.  The cameras are infrared so anything hot shows up as a glow.  After one of these hard rains as of late, I noticed a glow at a specific point in my yard.  There was nothing there and I realized it was some wires buried in the yard that needed attention.  I'm sure that saved some electrical problems down the line.  Besides the glow, there were no other symptoms!  At least, not yet, who knows what would have blown.

I have a DVR player in the house that I can access online from anywhere and see my house.  I have a wall around my property but the cameras allow me to see everyone driving by so I don't feel the need to run outside when some bizarre sounding vehicle goes by.  Sometimes you just wanna know, what the heck was that???

It records in thirty days loops, I can go back to a specific point in time and see what went on.  The whole setup took about two weeks to do and cost around $2000 USD.  It was a pretty big job for my house and casita to be fully protected, I have a lot of doors and windows.  Nesha can come to your house, check it out and tell you all about what he can do.  He is a very competent individual, worth his weight in gold in this town.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I have a wall around my property but the cameras allow me to see everyone driving by so I don't feel the need to run outside when some bizarre sounding vehicle goes by.  Sometimes you just wanna know, what the heck was that???
Nice thing about IP cameras and a NVR, uses cat5/cat6 cable, much more reliable then the coax which has a tendency to have a bad/intermittent connection.

I have microphones on just about all my cameras.

From the NVR monitor I can click an instant playback button for any of the cameras on screen and review the video and audio of the last 5 minutes.

I can scan back and forth in that 5 minute instant video/audio playback.

No need to look out the window or go outside wondering where/what the sound was.
Playing back different cameras, I can usually determine from what direction the sound came from.

Another great thing about an NVR network recorder, I can playback any choice/order of camera(s) and change that choice while playing back. For instance, my cameras generally overlap/align to the next camera, so therefore I can choose the 2 or 3 cameras relative to what I want to see and get a continuous flow of the action taking place. At any time if I double click a camera, it goes full screen, and I can go back to the multiple cameras as desired.

erod

Apr 9, 2017
Nice thing about IP cameras and a NVR, uses cat5/cat6 cable, much more reliable then the coax which has a tendency to have a bad/intermittent connection.

I have microphones on just about all my cameras.

From the NVR monitor I can click an instant playback button for any of the cameras on screen and review the video and audio of the last 5 minutes.

I can scan back and forth in that 5 minute instant video/audio playback.

No need to look out the window or go outside wondering where/what the sound was.
Playing back different cameras, I can usually determine from what direction the sound came from.

Another great thing about an NVR network recorder, I can playback any choice/order of camera(s) and change that choice while playing back. For instance, my cameras generally overlap/align to the next camera, so therefore I can choose the 2 or 3 cameras relative to what I want to see and get a continuous flow of the action taking place. At any time if I double click a camera, it goes full screen, and I can go back to the multiple cameras as desired.

can you guys please share the brand and model of that camera that you have and can i buy it online in amazon.com or something?

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I like the Dlink camera and cloud system.

Really cheap. Works out of the box. Compatible with an NVR. Works with iphone/android app. And can be configured to send alerts to your phone when activity is sensed.

Two requirements. You need wifi and an internet connection for it to work. But the newest cameras have SD card slots to record locally on the device, so if the ladrones think they are going to be clever and cut the internet connection, they will still be recorded.

https://la.mydlink.com/entrance

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
Most modern IP network cameras will do great job. Many of them are without names and work great with crystal clear image. 720P/1MP are quite good, 1080P/2MP image is clearer. Over 2MegaPixels require more expensive recorders and larger disk space to store HD quality videos.

I have 8 cameras...
It records in thirty days loops..

What's your system disk space? An 8 channel 1080P HD system would require a minimum of 4 Terabytes to achieve 7 days of recording. Here is an online calculator of required disk space, depending on camera quality

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Most modern IP network cameras will do great job. Many of them are without names and work great with crystal clear image. 720P/1MP are quite good, 1080P/2MP image is clearer. Over 2MegaPixels require more expensive recorders and larger disk space to store HD quality videos.

What's your system disk space? An 8 channel 1080P HD system would require a minimum of 4 Terabytes to achieve 7 days of recording. Here is an online calculator of required disk space, depending on camera quality

It shows 3172 gigabytes, not terabytes. A terabyte HD is cheap now days, even a SSD drive.

Catseye

Nov 7, 2009
Rio San Juan, Dominican Republic

mine is 1 terrabyte, I'm not sure what the resolution is

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
Yep you're right, not me. But 10 TB drives are available for $470, of course not in the DR

Not needed. I can't recall a recorder that can support 10TB drive. Waste of money. More practical and a lot cheaper to use recorders that support multiple smaller discs.