Security cameras POP

ando1991

Dec 5, 2016
Security camera installation for a home, Puerto Plata...
Any recommendations on a company that installs security cameras? Just needed for the perimeter.
I have been shopping around. What price range should I expect?

Tanks!

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Security camera installation for a home, Puerto Plata...
Any recommendations on a company that installs security cameras? Just needed for the perimeter.
I have been shopping around. What price range should I expect?

Tanks!

If nothing more than installing them, shouldn't be expensive at all .
A couple of years ago i paid something like 5k pesos to get 7 cameras installed, wired and all, and the box thingy set up.
Do note that i got the material through the same guy, so he probably got a cut on that as well.
All in all, cameras + box + materials ( cables, lots of cables ) + installation ( drilling, hiding the cables, and power sources, etc, etc ) cost us about 30k pesos. So that was 25k for 7 cameras and the box thingy ( that still has a couple of free channels ) and 5k for the installation.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
If nothing more than installing them, shouldn't be expensive at all .
A couple of years ago i paid something like 5k pesos to get 7 cameras installed, wired and all, and the box thingy set up.
Do note that i got the material through the same guy, so he probably got a cut on that as well.
All in all, cameras + box + materials ( cables, lots of cables ) + installation ( drilling, hiding the cables, and power sources, etc, etc ) cost us about 30k pesos. So that was 25k for 7 cameras and the box thingy ( that still has a couple of free channels ) and 5k for the installation.
OK, and 5 years later, are you still happy with it?

malko

Jan 12, 2013
OK, and 5 years later, are you still happy with it?

Short answer, Yes . Everything works just fine.

Long answer, its the kind of thing you play around with 10mn, just after you get it. Then you kind of forget about it.
I would have regretted it if it was an expensive purchase-- thankfully it was not ---, but i guess the utility of security cameras is off topic to the OP, and a debate for another day.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

ando1991

Dec 5, 2016
I am getting quotes of 72,000 pesos for 10 cameras... which is definitely too many cameras. 40,000 pesos for 6 cameras, which is probably the going rate with inflation now.

malko

Jan 12, 2013
I am getting quotes of 72,000 pesos for 10 cameras... which is definitely too many cameras. 40,000 pesos for 6 cameras, which is probably the going rate with inflation now.

I dare say, that sounds about right. Maybe somebody who got cameras installed more recently, can chime in ?

Try and get a few more channels on your box thingy, than the number of cameras you are going to have installed, can be useful in the future.

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
Can some explain to me the value of cameras as a security system? I envisioned a system that would trigger an airhorn
, or 2. i thought the noice would be a deterrent as well as alerting our pretty far away neighbors.

malko

Jan 12, 2013
Can some explain to me the value of cameras as a security system? I envisioned a system that would trigger an airhorn
, or 2. i thought the noice would be a deterrent as well as alerting our pretty far away neighbors.

I would say it depends if you have a bunch of big dogs or not.

Say, I come home late-ish, or not mind you, as i cant see my house when the gates are closed, i could in theory, check the cameras on my phone, in order to see if there is a bunch of guys waiting to jump me already in my patio.

That point is moot, in my case, as if my dogs are not waiting behind the gate to greet me, i dont need my cameras to tell me there is a problem.

Also, after i am hacked to death or something of the sort, my dr1 homies could access the cloud storage and organize a drive by shooting at the perps house's 🤣🤣🤣🤣🥴🥴

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I would say it depends if you have a bunch of big dogs or not.

Say, I come home late-ish, or not mind you, as i cant see my house when the gates are closed, i could in theory, check the cameras on my phone, in order to see if there is a bunch of guys waiting to jump me already in my patio.

That point is moot, in my case, as if my dogs are not waiting behind the gate to greet me, i dont need my cameras to tell me there is a problem.

Also, after i am hacked to death or something of the sort, my dr1 homies could access the cloud storage and organize a drive by shooting at the perps house's 🤣🤣🤣🤣🥴🥴
Also at night if I hear an suspicious noise I can check on my Cameras which 360 my house and the two that are on my MIL s house for any movement or people. Like Malko, my street dogs would be barking up a storm and possibly attacking a stranger.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
We have 14 wifi Nest cameras bought on Amazon. 8 outdoor, 2 indoor looking out windows and 4 indoor interior. Easy to load app, install and use with several settings and options. Only 2 are using paid subscriptions. Have alerts that buzz phones for people movement and voices. Can see, review, copy, adjust from phones and pc anywhere in the world with a connection.
Have had for about 5 years with only minor issues that are easily fixed.
Anyone looking for security cams, just about all systems, can easily find them at night using their phone camera that picks up the cameras own uv ? lighting so can be a deterrent... or not?
They really have provided a lot of information that we are glad to have.

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Also at night if I hear an suspicious noise I can check on my Cameras which 360 my house and the two that are on my MIL s house for any movement or people. Like Malko, my street dogs would be barking up a storm and possibly attacking a stranger.
I have one big .5 caliber camera. No wifi or networking option however.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Got some wyze v3 cams. $30 usd each (más o menos). Need sd card for recording.
I have 6 of them. Very good images and they work better than anything else I've tried. The only way to get better results would be with a wired system.

ando1991

Dec 5, 2016
After shopping around, I decided on the lower estimate. This was probably the true price and not inflated.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
After shopping around, I decided on the lower estimate. This was probably the true price and not inflated.
That seems to be fair to me, plus you'll have a wired system with a hard disk to record anything that happens.
The only problem with them is searching for an incident can be a little time-consuming.