Security Concerns?

Besides I dont need that. My Jedi Knight uniform came in the mail today WITH OFFICIAL LIGHT SABRE. Now all I need is 4 grams Chromolium to power the internal fusion reactor.
Where can I get that here? Maybe on the Malecon?

Ill give you the missing 4grams of chromilium for your official lightsaber.

My old lightsaber has no remaining special batteries because i have used it to much on the working girls in sosua.

:ninja:

bullitt510

Apr 29, 2010
Put it in the clown bin, I'm just going to go with my instincts, I have made it most of the past 7 years in the middle east, and other UN hospitable places, just some of the threads I was reading brought the question to mind about legal defence, as I said earlier no issues yet, just the odd drunk or motoconcho trying to over charge the gringo. Thanks for all the replies, I'm off to look for a scooter and some furniture. Out here.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I am a black belt in a secret form of martial arts. If you want instruction in this you can PM me!

http://www.ppsa.com/magazine/llap.html

It being a secret??? So where did you learn it???

Ouch... I hadn't read the mod's remark about the clown bin... so I have to make some sense... hmmmm...

Been here now for 11 months (not long... I know...), and experienced what I have experienced all over the world (and I have traveled extensively for work and pleasure)...

Treat people with respect... (this also includes not flashing your "respective" wealth around...), and they will treat you with the same respect...

Last edited:
Reactions: Black Dog

bullitt510

Apr 29, 2010
That is correct I have had little to no problem anywhere in DR, I love it there, so much so that I have bought a place in Sosua, but after reading other threads it raised some questions in my mind about legal self defence, I suppose that the other people who have posted problems , what "exaggerated" the situation or made them up (being sarcastic). What I wanted to find out , and some answers were informative, was what is legal in DR.
I am currently writing this from the middle east, I have traveled to and worked in a lot of turd world countries, I personally carry weapons everyday and have had occasion to use them in defence of myself or others. The stun gun and OC spray were good ideas and gave me some useful info, I'm somewhat familiar with the firearms laws and requirements there, what I still do not know is about any other weapons. NOT that I feel the need to go around armed, not at all, I never have felt the need before. I just wanted the information. Thank you all for your attempted help.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
i don't like weapons, particularly guns.

i've been in the DR fulltime since 2001 and don't think you need weapons here -- and if you think you do, you might reconsider where you're considering living.

with that said, i don't think you owe anyone an apology for finding out what you legally can and cannot do.

bullitt510

Apr 29, 2010
Your right ,but unfortunately guns / weapons are a necessary evil in most of the world, I wish they weren't, and in all of my travels I picked Sosua, because I like it and the people are very friendly. I am comfortable with my (expat) girl friend staying there while I am off working. I do not foresee any problems, but information is always or most always a good thing. Sosua is my "Happy Place" the love of a good woman, cold beer and great people, what else is there. I will find out what I need when I get back there in a couple months. Now I'm on a quest for a scooter and furniture there. Thanks again for all the input, maybe we will see each other there.I hope everyone has a great day. Later

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
That is correct I have had little to no problem anywhere in DR, I love it there, so much so that I have bought a place in Sosua, but after reading other threads it raised some questions in my mind about legal self defence, I suppose that the other people who have posted problems , what "exaggerated" the situation or made them up (being sarcastic). What I wanted to find out , and some answers were informative, was what is legal in DR.
I am currently writing this from the middle east, I have traveled to and worked in a lot of turd world countries, I personally carry weapons everyday and have had occasion to use them in defence of myself or others. The stun gun and OC spray were good ideas and gave me some useful info, I'm somewhat familiar with the firearms laws and requirements there, what I still do not know is about any other weapons. NOT that I feel the need to go around armed, not at all, I never have felt the need before. I just wanted the information. Thank you all for your attempted help.
Now I really am worried. New gringos in town carrying. What's Sosua coming to?

Last edited:

bullitt510

Apr 29, 2010
I didn't say I was going to carry anything in DR, I just wanted to know the law and options. I understand that some people like to be confrontational or sarcastic in their responses, but I have found if you don't know the answer to something...ask, or keep your mouth shut.

bullitt510

Apr 29, 2010
"NOT that I feel the need to go around armed, NOT AT ALL!, I NEVER have felt the need before". I just wanted the INFORMATION. Thank you all for your attempted help.

The high lights of my previous post for those who have issues about question.

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
I didn't say I was going to carry anything in DR, I just wanted to know the law and options. I understand that some people like to be confrontational or sarcastic in their responses, but I have found if you don't know the answer to something...ask, or keep your mouth shut.

Getting a firearms permit isn?t that difficult, but it is a bit pricey. You just need your residency, application, psychiatrist interview, competency exam and drug screen. If you want to carry the firearm in public, a separate permit is required. There is a load of more detailed info on this topic if you search the threads.

You cannot carry a firearm in Santo Domingo, permit or not, during the week or so leading up to Christmas.

Other weapons like knives and clubs are locally referred to as ?Armas de Blanca?. I don?t know why. :confused:

I am pretty sure that you can carry ?Armas de Blancas? and be perfectly within the law. This last Christmas Season I was frisked by police and they asked me if I was carrying ?Armas de Blancas?, so the Christmas rule may also apply to any type of weapon, or at the police officer?s discretion. :ermm:

Different posters have different feelings about this topic. This makes sense because not everybody share the same routines or exposures, but I see you asked for information, not opinions. You will always get opinions.

My opinion on the topic is that if you are not prepared to protect yourself in DR, ..... well then you are a sitting duck. Quack Quack.

Reactions: Bronxboy

bullitt510

Apr 29, 2010
Thank you for the information, and as you say , it is not only DR, you have to be prepared to protect yourself world wide , and the first step is information. Cheers