Selling something on Ebay from DR, how do you ship it?

Glenn Burke

Sep 12, 2023
Santo Domingo
If you want to sell something on Ebay or similar sites, how do you ship it to US? Dominican courier companies are one way from there to here, UPS/DHL/FedEx have exorbitant prices even for small/lightweight packages, what else? EMS at INPOSDOM, anybody has any experience with them, are they reliable at all?

I'm not even talking about shipping something on a regular basis, just sometimes when you have to sell something that is impossible to sell in DR because nobody needs it here even for the fraction of the price?

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
There is no f.. way that you can compete with US Sellers. Do have reliable shipping YOU MUST USE either fedex, UPS or DHL and there you face about 50-80 $US for the smallest item.

Reactions: cavok

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
Yeeah.. that's not going to happen.
And by the way, what would you be selling?
Why are you so sure that NOBDOY would buy whatever it is that you would be selling?
Unless it's something so exotic that even in the US it would be difficult to sell, I'd guess there would be at least someone on the island who would be interested. There are so many expats living here that if it's something that only an expat would need/want probably someone would be willing to buy it.
And if it's something only for cold weather, like a jacket, well there are cold places even here.
So there's probably someone who could be interested in whatever you'd want to sell.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
If you want to sell something on Ebay or similar sites, how do you ship it to US? Dominican courier companies are one way from there to here, UPS/DHL/FedEx have exorbitant prices even for small/lightweight packages, what else? EMS at INPOSDOM, anybody has any experience with them, are they reliable at all?

I'm not even talking about shipping something on a regular basis, just sometimes when you have to sell something that is impossible to sell in DR because nobody needs it here even for the fraction of the price?
Postal Service and use Registered mail with receipt signature required.

Reactions: Manuel01

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
To the OP, unless it is a very big ticket item it is completely impractical. There is no good solution for shipping out of the DR.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Don't bother.
Shipping/ export fees will cost you just as much, if not more than whatever you are selling.

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
Postal Service and use Registered mail with receipt signature required.
True but: it will take weeks to arrive and than you already received your negative feedback(s) and your Ebay career is over before it even started. Just forget about it.

• Love
Reactions: NY-DR Commuter

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
True but: it will take weeks to arrive and than you already received your negative feedback(s) and your Ebay career is over before it even started. Just forget about it.
Not necessarily. If you have the ability to honestly deal with the buyers, there is no need for drama. If you do get a negative feedback, Ebay will make it disappear if you are sensible about the situation.

I have sold thousands of items over the last 20+ years without any negative feedbacks attached to my handle. Made a few mistakes myself but always fixed them via messages to the buyer. Got a few negatives over the years, but they were always removed after contacting Ebay and proving the buyer was running a scam.

Reactions: JD Jones

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
I have sold thousands of items over the last 20+ years without any negative feedbacks attached to my handle. Made a few mistakes myself but always fixed them via messages to the buyer. Got a few negatives over the years, but they were always removed after contacting Ebay and proving the buyer was running a scam.
Did you ship those items from the DR?

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Yes. I think both BM Cargo and EPS will send letter out.
Correction: As far as I know, they only receive letters. I have sent a couple letters from the post office branch at POP and they did arrive in a couple days. Maybe I just got lucky(?). Not exactly convenient though.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Fuhgeddaboudit! Put the item on Facebook Marketplace and sell it here.
There are few legit sellers on Facebook market place outside of expats in Punta Cana, Sosua and Cabarete.
Almost everyone from Santiago, La Vega and SD are scammers who don't actually have what they list, or they promise delivery but they never send it.
Marketplace is a great concept - it's just that too many Dominican scammers have turned it into a virtual tiguere bazaar

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Thank you. The only one who actually read my post carefully and understood what I was asking. I will visit INPOSDOM and ask them for details then.
Thanks why he makes the BIG bucks and the rest of just plod along scanning the content.

• Haha
Reactions: JD Jones

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
There are few legit sellers on Facebook market place outside of expats in Punta Cana, Sosua and Cabarete.
Almost everyone from Santiago, La Vega and SD are scammers who don't actually have what they list, or they promise delivery but they never send it.
Marketplace is a great concept - it's just that too many Dominican scammers have turned it into a virtual tiguere bazaar
True. A lot of scammer sellers, but it's still a good place to sell things.