Senasa opens fourth service office in the United States

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Santiago-Hazim-sucursal-Senasa-en-Miami-ARS-SENASA-1024x575.jpg

Santiago Hazim, director of SeNaSa, the state health insurance provider, was in Miami, Florida, USA to inaugurate a new Senasa office. An estimated 200,000 Dominicans live in the state of Florida.

Senasa is offering health insurance plans to the Dominican diaspora. Previous offices have been opened in New York, New Jersey and Philadelphia.

The new offices are located at the headquarters of the Dominican Republic Consulate in Miami.

Read more in Spanish:Senasa

1 September 2022

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
How many Dominicans living in the states will buy health insurance for their visits to home?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If the plans are only for use in the DR, then I have questions on the potential issue of corruption in even opening such offices in the USA.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
How many Dominicans living in the states will buy health insurance for their visits to home?
Mr AE’s brother actually recommended that he buy it. He’s under the impression I can get it too (I think he’s wrong about that). Our Medicare supplement covers us internationally ($250 deductible I think) but we’ve never bothered to file a claim.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
More information is necessary to see what is actually covered by SENASA that is sold to DR citizens in the USA.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Mr AE’s brother actually recommended that he buy it. He’s under the impression I can get it too (I think he’s wrong about that). Our Medicare supplement covers us internationally ($250 deductible I think) but we’ve never bothered to file a claim.
If you have a passport you can subscribe.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If you have a passport you can subscribe.
I would expect if you have a DR citizen's cedula, you can subscribe. I would not expect a DR passport would be a requirement since the cedula should be sufficient.

But what, exactly, would you be getting if you paid?

Gordonpsl

Aug 2, 2022
New Jersey
My wife and I have it. We sign up at the Office in Paterson NJ. She’s a Dominican national but not me. It covers a good bit, vision, dental, prescription, Emergency etc. For the two of us, it’s about $800.00 for the year. We spend 1/2 the year there, so far us it was a no brainer.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
I would expect if you have a DR citizen's cedula, you can subscribe. I would not expect a DR passport would be a requirement since the cedula should be sufficient.

But what, exactly, would you be getting if you paid?

A passport from any country, Windy.

I'll post this yet again for all of you who have not looked at it the other 4 times I posted it.

SeNaSa Larimar is the health insurance offered to Dominicans, foreigners (nationalized or with a passport) who wish to acquire an independent plan, as well as for the Dominican diaspora that returns permanently or wants to obtain medical coverage for their family in the country.

Reactions: AlterEgo

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
OK, so it is a sales and marketing effort to sell paid plans to people in the USA that have potential use for Senasa insurance paid plans in the DR.
Anyone with a pulse, or more correctly, any passport qualifies. I expect they will exclude any pre-existing conditions by requiring a physical exam before being accepted, no? Seems like an OK plan and reported to be $800 US for a couple, so not very expensive for what it does.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If he has a passport and sufficient pesos, it would seem he could indeed get it. But at what limitations is what I would find out.

(Which supplemental Medicare plan offers that in the DR? You can PM me since that might be off topic).

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
If he has a passport and sufficient pesos, it would seem he could indeed get it. But at what limitations is what I would find out.

(Which supplemental Medicare plan offers that in the DR? You can PM me since that might be off topic).
According to the link JD posted, I can get it too.

We have United Healthcare Plan F through AARP as a supplement. $250 deductible for emergencies anywhere in the world.

Reactions: windeguy

Gordonpsl

Aug 2, 2022
New Jersey
I agree that’s what it says but we went into the office, filled out the questionnaire with two of the representatives and they submitted it for approval. After about a six weeks and we were back in Puerto Plata by then, we received our approval via email. So we stop by the local Senasa office, paid and received our cards. That was my experience, maybe someone else will have to be examine prior to approval.

Gordonpsl

Aug 2, 2022
New Jersey
Probably, but I answer truthfully. FortunateIy I have no pre existing conditions and am under 60.
The four of us made general small talk and laugh a bit while they were inputing our information and it wasn’t to complicated. Like I said though that was my experience.

aarhus

www.johnboyter.com
Jun 10, 2008
If the plans are only for use in the DR, then I have questions on the potential issue of corruption in even opening such offices in the USA.
I never understood when they announced the first one I think in NYC.