Sending Money To The D.R.

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
Does anyone know of another way to transfer money to the D.R. other than using Western Union? Not only do they charge you a good percentage for the service, they also give you a terrible exchange rate.

Any other alternatives would be great to know of...and thanks.

Banco Popular has Internet banking. The two of you open accounts here in BP, pesos or dollar. Then u can transfer money without fees.

azabache

Apr 25, 2006
Free Money Transfer?

Banco Popular has Internet banking. The two of you open accounts here in BP, pesos or dollar. Then u can transfer money without fees.

Sounds great, but has anyone in the forum actually done this?

pmey27

Oct 12, 2006
When I want to send 100 USD it costs me about 5 USD. I use moneygram which is at Banco Popular...El Batey in Sosua. Make sure you keep the reference # as there have been 2 instances where I needed it to track the transaction.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Wow this is an old thread.

My way: Open Bank of America checking in US. Use the BoA bank card at Scotia Bank ATMs in DR. No fees because they have an agreement. (You may have to call BoA customer service if a fee pops up but they will reverse it.) I keep only this ATM card on me to get cash, but only transfer what I'm going to need into that account from my primary account (also free from a BoA account,) just in case I get jumped at the ATM. If they wipe out this account, at least they can't touch my real accounts.

Are you 100% sure? I called BOA and they said that was correct, but when I went into a branch to open the account they said no. I used to do the same with Citibank, but they are now charging 3%. - D

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I found the reciprocal agreement with Scotia Bank on the B of A website regarding ATH usage in RD.

tamborista

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
I found the reciprocal agreement with Scotia Bank on the B of A website regarding ATH usage in RD.

tamborista

I just called BOA for the 2nd time and this time was told that there was no agreement for free withdrawal. Banco Popular says that there is only a $1.50 use fee, no % charge. - D

TarSeal

Nov 4, 2006
Are you 100% sure? I called BOA and they said that was correct, but when I went into a branch to open the account they said no. I used to do the same with Citibank, but they are now charging 3%. - D

I withdrew funds at a Scotia bank in SD 2 weeks ago and got no fees. Works for me...

Feb 7, 2007
Washington Mutual

Robert!!!!!!!!!!!!! Your servers are overloaded

I can post a 3 line reply, but 30+ line times out